News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Francherized Twister  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Francherized Twister
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
After looking at the PDF under Construction Details it says Outboard Flap 1/8 wider at the tip than inboard flap. So to clarify this is it saying to make the outboard flap 1/8 wider the whole length of the flap or what?   Saying at the tip I find rather confusing.

While I'm at it under Modifications to original kit it says 3/32 plywood doublers. Then it says Replacement Doubler 1/16 plywood. I'm thinking I'll use 3/32 but is it suggesting using 3/32 or 1/16?

Finally it says to make wing jig blocks to the shape on the plans but I can't see a way for me to make them and all be identical.  So what does everyone use to build the wing? Just flat on a building table?

Thanks
Chris Fretz
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Francherized Twister
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »
Hi Chris, when I modified a Twister ala "Fancherized" I built the wing flat on the table, had no problem, the leading edge needs a lot of sanding to round it off, I left the flaps stock, 1/16 stock doublers, increasing to 3/32 cant hurt. I did extend the fuselage 1 1/2 inches as per Danny B. and I did add 1/2 ribs in between reg. ribs. I use an LA 40 which is plenty of power.
worst problem I found is the landing gear. The wire gear in the kit goes into a bushing and uses little plastic clips. If I do it again I would use alum. gear like Brodak and RSM supply in their kits. Good luck.

Rich

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
Finally it says to make wing jig blocks to the shape on the plans but I can't see a way for me to make them and all be identical.  So what does everyone use to build the wing? Just flat on a building table?

Cut them a bit oversize, stack them, sand them.  Tacking them together with CA will help.  Sanding them square is a chore, but can be done.

I have some 1 1/4" square finish wood that came with my house, I just tucked that under the TE, like in this post.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
"After looking at the PDF under Construction Details it says Outboard Flap 1/8 wider at the tip than inboard flap. So to clarify this is it saying to make the outboard flap 1/8 wider the whole length of the flap or what?   Saying at the tip I find rather confusing."

It means to make the outboard flap 1/8" wider at the tip. Root chord would remain the same, so the taper is different. Adding area to the outboard flap is a common fix to older designs, to stop "hinging" with the correct tip weight. From my experience, it won't take a lot of tipweight, what with the outboard engine/tank weight.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
Hi Chris, when I modified a Twister ala "Fancherized" I built the wing flat on the table, had no problem, the leading edge needs a lot of sanding to round it off, I left the flaps stock, 1/16 stock doublers, increasing to 3/32 cant hurt. I did extend the fuselage 1 1/2 inches as per Danny B. and I did add 1/2 ribs in between reg. ribs. I use an LA 40 which is plenty of power.
worst problem I found is the landing gear. The wire gear in the kit goes into a bushing and uses little plastic clips. If I do it again I would use alum. gear like Brodak and RSM supply in their kits. Good luck.

Rich
Thanks for the info,  I remember your name but I can't place a face!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »
"After looking at the PDF under Construction Details it says Outboard Flap 1/8 wider at the tip than inboard flap. So to clarify this is it saying to make the outboard flap 1/8 wider the whole length of the flap or what?   Saying at the tip I find rather confusing."

It means to make the outboard flap 1/8" wider at the tip. Root chord would remain the same, so the taper is different. Adding area to the outboard flap is a common fix to older designs, to stop "hinging" with the correct tip weight. From my experience, it won't take a lot of tipweight, what with the outboard engine/tank weight.  D>K Steve

Well that makes a lot of sense! Guess I was thinking too much about the 1/8 and tip! Ill make my flap like that.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »
Chris, I'm with the Philly Fliers, we met at Bernie's contest and than at our contest at Neshaminy & Benjamin Rush.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
Chris, I'm with the Philly Fliers, we met at Bernie's contest and than at our contest at Neshaminy & Benjamin Rush.
I think it's coming back to me now!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
Cut them a bit oversize, stack them, sand them.  Tacking them together with CA will help.  Sanding them square is a chore, but can be done.

I have some 1 1/4" square finish wood that came with my house, I just tucked that under the TE, like in this post.

Thanks Tim. I can't really tell what you have going on under the spar, it don't look to be flat on the table.  How did you figure out the 1 1/4 under TE?

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 09:26:09 PM »
Thanks Tim. I can't really tell what you have going on under the spar, it don't look to be flat on the table.  How did you figure out the 1 1/4 under TE?

Chris

I can't remember what's under there -- probably scrap bits of 1/4".  I figured out what to put under the TE because that made the ribs roughly level fore and aft, along with whatever I shimmed the spar up with.

Just make it level -- all else will fall into place.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
I can't remember what's under there -- probably scrap bits of 1/4".  I figured out what to put under the TE because that made the ribs roughly level fore and aft, along with whatever I shimmed the spar up with.

Just make it level -- all else will fall into place.
Would I benefit from building up the stab and elevators like you did or just stay with my 1/4 balsa pieces I already rough cut out?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 01:47:56 PM »
Would I benefit from building up the stab and elevators like you did or just stay with my 1/4 balsa pieces I already rough cut out?

When I built that plane the kit wood was rock hard and had strange grain patterns, and I didn't have any decent wood to replace it with.  If I did it again I'd use reasonable-weight sheet.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here