News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Francherized Twister Article ?  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Francherized Twister Article ?
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
Anybody have an file they can email ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Francherized Twister Article ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »
It wasn't an article per se.  It was a series of of Ted's regular stunt column in Model Aviation about kitbashing older kits to modern numbers.  The column was about doing it to any kit (which is why, strictly, you can Fancherize a Banshee or a Nobler or just about any older plane).  There are no plans in the columns, because Ted was just using the Twister as an example -- it's just that his specific example took off.

Here's a comment from Ted that I found (in a build thread of mine, but that's incidental).  You can go to the MA site and read the magazines online.

p.s.  I just verified that there are pictures of the process in the second of the three columns dedicated to the "FT".  It was in the August, September and October 1987 ('87!!!!) issues of Model Aviation and should be viewable on the AMA website.

If you want just the plans, ask -- there's a pdf floating around the net that someone will send to you.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
Or maybe this one is better:

http://www.marinaru.ro/forum/planuri/Planuri/zbor-captiv/F2B-Acrobatie,%20Trainere,%20Semimachete/Fancher%20Twister%20Plan%20Article.pdf

That's the plan I've built off of (well, except I used my own fuselage shape).  Do use the carbon-fiber arrow shaft pushrod.  If you use clevises use heavy-duty ones that take 4-40 hardware -- better yet, use ball joints.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »
Thanks for the help, is that plan still available ?

Take that pdf to your local Kinkos and ask them to print out the first page -- then you'll have the plan.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »
Is that the same Twister airfoil? If you're going to scratch build it, I wounder if it would be better to leave off the mini ribs and just sheet the leading edge. It would be 1/8" thicker.

AFAIK it is.  I used the Twister ribs from a kit.

OK.  Twister vs. sheeted wings:

• A sheeted wing has better torsional stability, particularly if you put in sheer webs to make a D-tube.  It's also more rigid to fore-and-aft motion.
  • A Twister-style wing, before you cover it, is very floppy in torsion, and somewhat floppy in fore-and-aft shear -- you can move the wingtip forward and backward an inch or so without hearing wood starting to crack, and more than that without major damage

Those two factors pretty much define the pros and cons of the two wing construction techniques. 

The Twister wing is floppy until you cover it, and once you do it depends on the covering for its dimensional stability.  Leave a Twister out in the sun and it'll warp up, or if it's a 'coat wing the covering will go slack and it'll be floppy.  A wing with a D-tube won't do that.  Except when you need to take out a warp, the D-tube wing wins hands down.

Now let's crash the D-tube plane.  When the wing hits the ground it's rigid.  The fuselage decelerates fast, and the entire wing needs to decelerate right along with it.  There's no way that the wing can give gracefully.  The result (and I've fixed my share of such damage) is that you get some combination of the wing breaking at the root, the wing leading edge getting crushed where it passes through the fuselage, and the fuselage getting crushed around the wing saddle.  This is Bad News.

OK, now let's crash the Twister.  The wing is fairly rigid, but only because of the covering.  When the wing hits the ground, the covering bursts, and the wingtips are free to continue going forward.  At best all the glue joints are fine and you just need to recover the wings (with 'coat, because why else use this wing construction?).  At worst you break a few ribs and/or spars, or one wing panel comes off just outside of the center sheeting.  Repairs take significantly less time than that D-tube plane would, and are simplified because there's no crushed wood.

My bottom line is that if you're past the stage where you're crashing all the time you should build something with a D-tube wing.  If not, build a Twister-style wing.  Ironically, I was thinking just this when I built my Twister in 2012, and as I was building it I pretty much stopped crashing.  So I have this dimensionally unstable wing that I'm always taking the warps out of, yet the worst damage that's happened to it was from an electric motor that came loose from someone else's plane and crashed into my wing.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fancherized Twister Article ?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »
That would be Fancher-izedH^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »

• A sheeted wing has better torsional stability, particularly if you put in sheer webs to make a D-tube.  It's also more rigid to fore-and-aft motion.
  • A Twister-style wing, before you cover it, is very floppy in torsion, and somewhat floppy in fore-and-aft shear -- you can move the wingtip forward and backward an inch or so without hearing wood starting to crack, and more than that without major damage

Those two factors pretty much define the pros and cons of the two wing construction techniques. 

The Twister wing is floppy until you cover it, and once you do it depends on the covering for its dimensional stability.  Leave a Twister out in the sun and it'll warp up, or if it's a 'coat wing the covering will go slack and it'll be floppy.  A wing with a D-tube won't do that.  Except when you need to take out a warp, the D-tube wing wins hands down.

Now let's crash the D-tube plane.  When the wing hits the ground it's rigid.  The fuselage decelerates fast, and the entire wing needs to decelerate right along with it.  There's no way that the wing can give gracefully.  The result (and I've fixed my share of such damage) is that you get some combination of the wing breaking at the root, the wing leading edge getting crushed where it passes through the fuselage, and the fuselage getting crushed around the wing saddle.  This is Bad News.

OK, now let's crash the Twister.  The wing is fairly rigid, but only because of the covering.  When the wing hits the ground, the covering bursts, and the wingtips are free to continue going forward.  At best all the glue joints are fine and you just need to recover the wings (with 'coat, because why else use this wing construction?).  At worst you break a few ribs and/or spars, or one wing panel comes off just outside of the center sheeting.  Repairs take significantly less time than that D-tube plane would, and are simplified because there's no crushed wood.

My bottom line is that if you're past the stage where you're crashing all the time you should build something with a D-tube wing.  If not, build a Twister-style wing.  Ironically, I was thinking just this when I built my Twister in 2012, and as I was building it I pretty much stopped crashing.  So I have this dimensionally unstable wing that I'm always taking the warps out of, yet the worst damage that's happened to it was from an electric motor that came loose from someone else's plane and crashed into my wing.

In either case, I just call them lawn darts.

Mike

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
Some related Twister info here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/show-us-your-twisters/msg433178/

I crashed one after a hand launch with crossed flying lines (up was down, down was up)..and broke it up pretty good.  My semi-sheeted wing survived the crash needing only some center section sheeting repairs.  A lacquer thinner and paper towels wash down session removed the orginal dope finish and allowed for the wing to be re-used.

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
The PLAN is Here , second post .

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/fancher-twister-mods/

And a ARTICAL , but its for the Imitation !

https://www.scribd.com/document/24098001/Imitation-Article

%^@

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Francherized Twister Article ?
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 10:46:35 PM »
There are plans for a Fancherized Twister. I have a set somewhere. Lengthen tail moment, enlarged stab using thicker balsa, half ribs, trim adjustment. A zooty jet profile or other style zooty profile is nice. Cut the rudder eyesore down. Or. If you love the ugly baby. Build to look like. In Philly friends say make some kind of wingtips. Twisters are suppose to be simple, quick to build, able to fly a decent pattern. Easy way to get into flapped models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
     My friend, the "Bootlegger", built a a Fancher Twister years ago and he increased the tail moment even more than called for on the plans. It flew extremely well. I thought it was his best handling profile of all he had built to that time.
      Doug

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:56 AM »
The entire series of Fancherized Twister articles is posted on Heman Lee's "Aeromaniacs (.com) website. Look under building tips. Sure, it can be modified even further but the idea was to keep to the basic Twister kit engineering. That said, I would increase the span of the horiz stab/elevator by 1/2 inch on each side (Ted approved modification).
I built two of them, one with Imitation style engine mount, the other with standard side mount engine. The Imitation style flew better but probably due to it being lighter. Don't over think it,  just build it per Ted' instructions and you will be please with the result.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »

Sheesh, Tim.  Just don't crash! ::) ::) #^  (Coming from the Hot Shot who's pretty much crashed most of everything he ever built!)

Ted

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
Sheesh, Tim.  Just don't crash! ::) ::) #^  (Coming from the Hot Shot who's pretty much crashed most of everything he ever built!)

I don't think either of these wing construction methods is proof from getting run over by a Caddy.

By the way.

Apropos to nothing at all that I may have heard.
AMA 64232

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 11:41:43 PM »
Dunno if this is THE Fancerised Twister article , but it is A Fancherised Twister article .

Thusly worthwhilst .

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
Hi Allan,
I have haven't been very attending the forums very much lately
so I just saw this post, so Please check your PM .
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
Check email

Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
Fanchericed Twister flies better all things being equal. I don’t see why it would be harder to build. Straight wing. Profile. Sheet tail feathers. Changes to stock Twister simple. Longer tail moment. Longer stab. Choose straight wood for fuselage and stab. Wood needs to be rigid, hard. Not necessarily heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »
I built a Twister in the mid-nineties because I won the kit.  I took it to the FCM contest every year for the next 5 or so years because I saw beginners crashing and not having a back up plane.  My Twister was used and crashed every one of those years by one beginner or another, every time at the bottom the outside loops so I took it home and repaired it each time, only to return the following year to watch the poor old beast suffer again!  My point is this; the design is a great beginner's airplane.  It was stock and had 'Kote covering and lasted a long time under much strain. 
I judged each year and would comment to the other who was judging with me, "Well, here comes the epoxy out again" as they entered the outsides.  Maybe I jinxed my airplane?  It was/is a great airplane, period.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here