News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 36 rear exhaust  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
Fox 36 rear exhaust
« on: March 18, 2023, 11:57:20 AM »

A few episodes back on the Stunt Hangar Video Hangout was a discussion of the Fox 36 rear exhaust. Dennis A. talked about the development and different versions that were made but there was no mention of the muffler. The rectangular muffler was made to fit in between the engine bearers and was held onto the engine with a set screw that was accessed through the exhaust pipe. It reduced the dB's quite well. I only tried the muffler out on the stand. I used the engine on a Smurthwaite profile Corsair in carrier and seem to remember winning some local events. This type of muffler appeared later in the K&B 100 aero.

My engine was the plain bearing version and was told to send it back when it was determined it had a cast iron sleeve. It was rebushed with a bronze bearing but don't remember if it ran any better.

Ara

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Fox 36 rear exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:47:03 PM »
Thanks for the info and pictures.

I imagine that those mufflers would be virtually impossible to find now.
Those were my engines that we were looking at and discussing.

I’m thinking of fitting a carb to one of them and putting it on a profile carrier model .
How did that work out for you?

I’ll likely try out the other one on some sort of combat model since it has the venturi already with it.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 02:07:11 PM »
My goodness...another FOX engine model pops out of the wood work.

Did any other company come out with as many variants of the 35...?

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 03:39:31 PM »
Actually these are 36’s.
But there were lots of these variants also.
I have a 36 stunt, a 36 RC, several 36X plain bearings, a 36 Combat Special baldy, a MK4 and one that I haven’t positively identified but I think it’s long past it’s expiry date.

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 07:47:20 PM »
I imagine that those mufflers would be virtually impossible to find now

Wrong!  Just happen have one in my Inventory Reduction Sale.  (still going on) 

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 07:52:57 PM »
My goodness...another FOX engine model pops out of the wood work.

It wasn't originally Fox, they bought the rights to the R.A.F. engine.

Brett

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 08:07:33 PM »
   It wasn't originally Fox, they bought the rights to the R.A.F. engine.

Brett

So this  must be  why it's the nicest looking Fox engine I've ever seen.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 03:39:06 AM »
Hello

Found this on the RAF 36 in the AMA history project in the words of Duke Fox :
"In an effort to buy into schnuerle porting technology quickly, so to speak, I had bought the assets
of the Roselle and Fry venture. I had thought that Jack Fry wanted to be in the model engine
business so bad that he would put forth the effort to make it work. I financed a small shop where
he could pursue his RAF motor. Unfortunately, he just wanted to play and I could see nothing
forthcoming. I called the shop every day in mid-morning and mid-afternoon for two consecutive
weeks, and never once got an answer. Then I knew I had to close down the operation.
I went up there and we loaded the few pieces of equipment and the parts in a trailer and sent
them back to Fort Smith. The thing was a little bit messy, because Jack had borrowed some
money and charged it against the corporation, even though I had set up a bank account. It was
specifically stated that he should not be able to borrow money. At any rate, it cost me a few
dollars, but we got that unraveled.

By this time, however, I had experimented enough with other brands of schnuerle motors, and
saw that it was too late to make any money off the RAF. This was the second time I talked
myself into a business deal with someone who was failing – first with Berkley and Effinger and
now with the RAF promotion. I guess the best advice that I could give anybody thinking of going
into business is if you cannot build it yourself, do not. Very seldom when you buy a business
does it go as well as it appears."

Interesting to see Fox/RAF were developing 40 and 60 sized versions

See also the MECOA site for more details here:
http://www.foxmodelmotors.com/engines/38/38.htm

My son Otto was flying both his profile scale Douglas SkyShark with a Fox 36 sport (the 70's RC engine converted to CL) and a Skyraider with Fox 40 Deluxe today !

Regards Gerald

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 08:04:03 AM »
So this  must be  why it's the nicest looking Fox engine I've ever seen.

I worked with 2 or 3 of these engines, which were intended to be The King of profile carrier.  I never get satisfactory results. Although they certainly had the macho look, they were not ready to run for some reason.
Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 08:17:49 AM »
I worked with 2 or 3 of these engines, which were intended to be The King of profile carrier.  I never get satisfactory results. Although they certainly had the macho look, they were not ready to run for some reason.
My experience exactly, Paul.

Some of Duke's early attempts at getting into the Schneurle world were laughable.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 05:47:26 AM »

I’ll likely try out the other one on some sort of combat model since it has the venturi already with it.

Bob,

Is the venturi pictured below the same as on your engine? I found it in my parts drawer and seems to be stock. Pictures on ebay show this engine with Fox pressure fittings. Is your engine set up that way or with a spray bar. I don't have either assembly so I'll have to make a spray bar to run it on suction. The front housing is tapped for a 6-40 screw. Never knew such a thing existed but Ace hardware has them. 

It took me a good half day to strip my engine down and clean it up, including freeing up the mother of all stuck rings, for a test run. It appeared to have never been run. Figured it would be worth a few bucks more that way when my wife has to dispose of my things so I put it aside and cleaned the other one. A Supertiger carb fit with a spacer and ran OK on the stand.

Ara

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here