News:

• April 24, 2024, 09:50:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 part  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Marvin Denny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Fox 35 part
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:53:06 PM »
  I posted a new item on the Product Review section of this Forum.

I am happy with it.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Fox 35 part
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »
The piston and liner are BOTH ceramic?  Does it use a ring or not?  And what fuel does Fox reccomend? Is the liner as thin as the steel original?  I guess I just want all the details.  Thanks.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:06 PM »
 The liner is aluminum, coated inside with "ceramic" and the piston is uncoated aluminum. It is probably the same piston as the ABC version P&C that they sell.  They didn,t say what Fuel mixture to run  (I doubt that they know).  I intend to run 24% or more and a mix of castor and Klotz. The engine is still woefully short of cooling fins so it will still need for the oil to carry out a lot of the heat I would think.  Joe Gilbert ran one of the proto types for the past two years--- he might tie in here and tell us what he ran in the oil dept.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:29:29 PM »
I believe Joe was running the standard Fox mix until the engine carboned(sp?) up and stuck. I think he went to a 10/22 mix with half castor/half synthetic oil afterwards.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »
Is this similar to the unit sold by Tony Cincotta from Australia?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 11:15:35 PM »
The new piston/sleeve  part is  a  moot point  as FOX doesn't have any more and will not get any more of these in. FOX told me this on the phone ,They will go back to the  ABC setups that they had in the past, problem is still getting them.

Regards
Randy

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:39:39 PM »
I really wish that Fox would get the ABC sets back in stock. I converted 3 new 35"s and guess which ones get the most use.
dennis

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 08:40:57 AM »
Is this similar to the unit sold by Tony Cincotta from Australia?

As to composition of materials they are about the same.  but Tony's were smaller in bore than the stock setup so the engine was only a .30 or .31  upon installation.  (thicker wall thickness of the sleeve).  Fox's is still the same bore as the stock steel sleeve.
  Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »
  In reference to Randy Smith's reply above,  I talked with fox Mfg co Business and production managers after Randy did and BOTH  assured me that they WERE still making the Ceramic P&C assemblies and had no plans to not produce any more.  ????  I suggest that anyone thinking of purchasing these items Call Fox Mfg at their Toll free number (1-877-369-3883) or E-Mail them (foxmotors@aol.com) to verify the availability and production status.

A difference of communication can get VERY confusing.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »
  In reference to Randy Smith's reply above,  I talked with fox Mfg co Business and production managers after Randy did and BOTH  assured me that they WERE still making the Ceramic P&C assemblies and had no plans to not produce any more.  ????  I suggest that anyone thinking of purchasing these items Call Fox Mfg at their Toll free number (1-877-369-3883) or E-Mail them (foxmotors@aol.com) to verify the availability and production status.

A difference of communication can get VERY confusing.

Bigiron

Hi Marvin

I personally called FOX and placed an order for them yesterday, I was told that after shipping me the one they had in stock that they were now out of the ceramic P/S, and there would be no more of them .
Also they told me that they would in the future start making the ABC setups that they had in the past.
 After our phone conversation this morning I called FOX back. I was told that they were indeed going to keep making the ceramic piston/sleeve setups and there was a miscommunication.
I also asked about the ABC piston and sleeves , they said that they were not sure if those would be made again or not. So your suggestion to call would be a good one.
It maybe possible in the future that we will have both ABC and ceramic P/S , however as well as the new ceramics seem to run, that maybe the perferred version. Please keep us posted as to how yours  run.

Randy

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:08:45 AM »
 I just ordered one, Sharon, said that it would go out today.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:37:09 AM »
  Thanks for clearing that up Randy.  I was sure that it was only a matter of some kind of missed communication.
  It was nice talking with you on the phone.
  I will keep the forum posted on how mine perform.

Marvin Denny
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
Marvin, Randy,

Fill us in on the advantages of the plasma coated assemblies.  I *think* I know what they are, but I would rather be SURE!

Thanks
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:55:45 AM »
I have one of the Tony Cincotta units, and I couldn't be happier with it. I guess i'll have to buy one of the Fox units.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 12:04:51 PM »
I have one of the Tony Cincotta units, and I couldn't be happier with it. I guess i'll have to buy one of the Fox units.

Ok, Phil.  Just what about it makes you *happy*?  Is the engine better balanced, does it turn more rpm, does it have more compression, does it give a better break, better hot restarts, does it reduce weight even more, is it just longer lasting........... ?? ??? ??   What IS the advantage to the plasma coating.  That is my question....
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 01:07:54 PM »
Ok, Phil.  Just what about it makes you *happy*?  Is the engine better balanced, does it turn more rpm, does it have more compression, does it give a better break, better hot restarts, does it reduce weight even more, is it just longer lasting........... ?? ??? ??   What IS the advantage to the plasma coating.  That is my question....

I'm not Phil, but what makes me happy is the fact that the liner is super hard surface and wears VERY well.  I have one of tony's and it has gone through TWO beginners and numerious other flights.    The fox one gained close to 1000 RPM on the same engine that I had a stock P&C in on the same fuel and prop on the same day.  It ran MUCH smoother than the  Iron piston did.  The only drawback I see is that it does use slightly more fuel.  I guess that if you run more horsepower, you gotta feed them horses..   Cost is pretty high, but not when compared to Tony's.  His cost over $90 plus shipping.  fox's is $70 suggested retail.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
Thanks, Marvin.  I was *guessing* wear improvement, more rpm, and smoother running resulting in more power, too.. 

I remember when I heard about Tony making these plasma liners but never heard real life feed back on them.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »
Easier starting hot or cold, same 4-2-4 as the stock Fox, Less vibration, less overall weight.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:50:13 PM by Garf »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 07:22:54 AM »
Marvin, forgot to ask you on the phone, but, can I use one in the Shoestring racing event?  Also would it be legal for Foxy Racing(NCLRA rules)?  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 12:07:30 PM »
Doc,
As legal as the ABC Cylinder-Piston set! n1

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »
Marvin, forgot to ask you on the phone, but, can I use one in the Shoestring racing event?  Also would it be legal for Foxy Racing(NCLRA rules)?  Have fun,  DOC Holliday

In my opinion, no Doc.  It does not come out on the engine from the factory without special order.  so it will be treated same as the Stuffer BP and Hemi-Heads as well as the ABCs.
  That is only my opinion and if you wish to run one in foxberg, I would contact the CD of any contest you want to run one in first.

Cheers

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »

I ran the one I have for two years in my ARF Nobler and it ran on 10-25 Sig or 10-29 Powermasters.  I did try 10-20 all castor but could not get a stunt run out of it. The engine is strong, I use a 10-6 EW Rev-up and it swings it well, but it is a thirsty engine Four oz is really not enough to do the pattern. 
Joe Gilbert

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 06:05:26 PM »
  Joe, was the 10/29 powermaster all castor  or part synthetic?

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »
All castor it seems like if you got away from the 25 all castor the
Fox would go into a two stroke and not come back to the four. I did try a couple of tanks of 10/22 but it did not like it, did the two stroke run-a-way. For me with the 10/6 EW Rev-Up the Fox just plain needs the castor to keep cool. I did have the ABC fox carbon up one time just took apart and put in the crockpot and made it good as new . The ceramic has never had a carbon problem.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:36:12 PM by Joe Gilbert »
Joe Gilbert

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here