News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Formula P Profile Stunt  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Formula P Profile Stunt
« on: November 25, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »
Guys,

Hypothetically - If you had a blossoming controline community in the NY Finger Lakes region and you had a really nice place to hold a contest -

(Also knowing that I'll get as many unique recommendations as replies :))

What would be a fun single design/formula profile for a competition?  I'm thinking something just about anyone can build, with an inexpensive motor like a Brodak .40.   It would be even more fun if the design was not perfect flying too. Think UN-Fancherized Twister. That would add a bit more fun to it.

Everyone uses the same plane, motor, tank and prop ( maybe one of three choices of props)  and lines.

Let's see your recommendations

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
Re: Formula P Profile Stunt
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 01:56:32 PM »
Oh yeah, something that can carry a couple extra ounces too. I know I could replace the doublers on most profiles with a Lite-Ply Carbon veil sandwich and nobody would ever know - so a design that is a bit more tolerant. The Magician comes to mind for me.
AMA 76478

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »
Built-up wing Prowler

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
Coyote.  y1

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:57:47 PM »
Mustunt I

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 07:58:00 PM »
S-1 Ringmaster

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »
Profile Oriental

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 08:01:22 PM »
Skyray 35

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
I like the concept. All planes and engines as equal as possible. If it weren’t for the risk of a crash, I’d take it a step further and have a drawing to see which plane each pilot flies.

There used to be a category of boat racing where the boats were kept as equal as possible so the race determined the best driver instead of the fastest boat.

I also like contests designed to reward the fastest or best equipment. Like NHRA. Nod to the mechanics.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
Hypothetically,
Twister

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
I like the concept. All planes and engines as equal as possible.

Everyone would learn something very valuable from that, but maybe not what you expected!  Unless you also precluded trim changes, it would *greatly widen* the gap between expert and beginner, and "masters" and other experts. The only way it does the sort of thing everyone thinks - separate out the "stick men" - is if you do as suggested and have some sort of airplane pool.

The one interesting thing it might do is separate the "old masters" VS the "new masters", i.e. whether you became a "master" caliber flier during the 4-2 break era, or the tuned pipe era. If the airplane was really marginal - like they ALL were back in the day - the guys who were "master" caliber during that era would gain some advantage, even if they are, of necessity, also older. It would shift the field towards people like Ted, Billy, RJ, and the master of masters Bart K.   

The one time we did anything like that was at the ARF-Off, where several of us all flew the same airplanes, all questionable trim to one degree or another. We got to the flyoff and Ted and I were in, with some talented be less-experienced competitors, and the air was challenging. Ted flew the wildly crooked Vector 40/RO-Jett 61 BSE, and I flew the power-challenged Vector 40/electric. Ted used his "old master" talent and beat me (for about the 10,000th time, although it had been a while...) and I did OK but not good enough.  If Bart K. had been there, I would have at least considered *conceding*, although my ego would probably have prevented it, Ted could speak for himself but I bet the thought would have crossed his mind, too.

An alternate way of conducting the contest would be to get one of the top competitors to set up two airplanes as well as he could manage, and as close to the same as they could manage, and then let everyone else fly them. That was the way the IROC worked early on.   

I had that (and still do) as a quasi-response to eliminating BOM at the NATs, were it to happen.  David, Paul, Ted, RJ, Jimby, PTG, etc, would all build airplanes, of whatever design we wanted, we would get together for a week with with Paul and I doing the trimming, have a fly-off, and then ship the best two to Muncie. Then we all fly to Muncie, including anyone who wanted to enter, like Jim Hoffman and Lou Wolgast from Arizona and any other West coast types who can't otherwise attend, maybe enlist Derek and Randy Smith just to make the point, and fly them in the contest.  I predict (based on the reaction to something similar to the 99 NAT OTS) that the BOM would be back in about a week.

Brett

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »
I suggest the 35 Magician. Still available, great flying plane.  Classic and profile. D>K
Which version, 43" wingspan or 48" wingspan?

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »
I suggest the 35 Magician. Still available, great flying plane.  Classic and profile. D>K

Ty, that was my first instinct as well. Not a lot you can do to one with that needle nose. They're super easy to build, fly great (maybe too good for this ) and anyone who can make a good landing with a Magician - is one, LOL.

Hmmm,

Magician w/ say a Brodak .40, standard wire LG, 2 1/2" wheels for grass, 10/6 propeller, weight box allowed. Fuel will be 10% max. All have the same muffler as well. Flap and elevator hinge lines will each be checked to be within 1/4" of plans for the Brodak kit. Adjustable leadouts are OK. CG can be anywhere you want it. Muffler pressure is optional.

The only thing about the Magician is it might be goofy looking enough to turn some folks off.

Any of the Balsa Beavers here?

Chuck

AMA 76478

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
Hey happy Thanksgiving down there guys .
A Brodak Magician would probably be happy with a.25 . The big one is likely a better bet for the.40 .
Just my two cents .
My Balsa Beaver contact has told me it is officially building season in the Great White North .

Brad LaPointe

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 10:23:14 PM »
I've had both Magicians and both flew great.  Only change on the bigger kit version was going to a thicker stabilizer.  Still have the Brodak version powered with Brodak 25 and Mr Umlands kit of the design.  As with any plane it takes practice to fly them from take off to landing to stop rolling.  Watch Jim Kraft fly his some time. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 08:02:13 AM »
Hey happy Thanksgiving down there guys .
A Brodak Magician would probably be happy with a.25 . The big one is likely a better bet for the.40 .
Just my two cents .
My Balsa Beaver contact has told me it is officially building season in the Great White North .

Brad LaPointe

Brad,

We're building on this shore too. If any of the Balsa Beavers want to do something along these lines let's get together and hash it out. Hopefully we can meet in Etobicoke this coming year and have fun seeing if it works.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 08:44:57 AM »
Hi Chuck ,

I remember a thread on here about an event with plain bearing .25’s on unflapped airframes . My old Brodak Buster racer turned sport stunter really does a good pattern for what it is . Len Bourel’s Shark 402 is a huge step up from my Buster .

Like any event the best pilots will dominate. For a beginner event no flaps and a smaller engine would easier. A LA .25 runs better for beginners than a Fox . The LA. 25 ,ACP 9x4 clunk tank formula is easy and proven.

Brad

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 08:54:31 AM »
Brad, good input.

I'd like to make sure the engines are easily available. I know the Toronto guys have the spec club motors for racers they all use. You draw your motor at random. That might be a bit lofty for our goals but it shows how leveling the playing field makes it more fun.

Around here LA .25's are hard to come by for decent money. I'm thinking all parts need to be available as new.

I've not flown anything small like a .25 in decades so I'll need others to take the lead on power if we go that route.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »
Hi Chuck. I was referring to the .35 Magician. the TMP/Midwest/Golden State/Buliditright version. The one with the 48' wing span. H^^ Walter Umland still has the files for the big one.

That's the one I was thinking about too. Good flying easy to build and fly.
AMA 76478

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 03:04:22 PM »
Just get a wing out of a wrecked Tutor ARF and throw a fuselage and tail on it.  Years ago Flying Models featured some really nice profile warbirds by Vince (can't remember his last name.)  Find those plans and build using the Tutor wing.  Perfect for an LA-46.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here