News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2nd Annual SIG CL Fun-Fly: June 16 2018  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
2nd Annual SIG CL Fun-Fly: June 16 2018
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
Talked to Bob Nelson this morning:

"Back by Popular Demand!  The 2nd Annual Sig CL Fun-Fly will be held on Saturday, June 16, 2018 at Sig Field.  The field will also be available for flying on Friday and Sunday.  No organized events, just "run whatcha brung".  There will be a BBQ at the field.  Side dish donations welcome.  AMA membership required.

If you would like to save shipping on Sig products, send in/call in your order before June 13 and your order will be delivered to the field"

Last year's fun fly was a great time.  Much flying and general hanging-out, and everyone was treated visit from Hazel.  It's a great, low-key event.  Come one, come all!

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2nd Annual SIG CL Fun-Fly: June 16 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:20:45 PM »
Rare Renker sighting possible as well!

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »
Talked to Bob Nelson this morning:

"Back by Popular Demand!  The 2nd Annual Sig CL Fun-Fly will be held on Saturday, June 16, 2018 at Sig Field.  The field will also be available for flying on Friday and Sunday.  No organized events, just "run whatcha brung".  There will be a BBQ at the field.  Side dish donations welcome.  AMA membership required.

If you would like to save shipping on Sig products, send in/call in your order before June 13 and your order will be delivered to the field"

I’ll be there!!!

Mikey

Last year's fun fly was a great time.  Much flying and general hanging-out, and everyone was treated visit from Hazel.  It's a great, low-key event.  Come one, come all!

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
Mikey!

Outstanding!!!  Looking forward to seeing you!

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:56:12 PM »
Sean,
Have not seen nor heard anything on this one.  Did it happen?  Curious minds want to know.....
Thank you,
John
John Paris

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 03:44:16 AM »
Sean,
Have not seen nor heard anything on this one.  Did it happen?  Curious minds want to know.....
Thank you,
John

It sure did! 

I got there on Thursday.  Bob Nelson took me to the factory (!!!) and spent awhile in the shop looking at his new profile stunt design that he is calling the Skyray XL.  Its a bit bigger than the Skyray 35, and is meant to replace the P-Force in the CL lineup.  It was intended as an ARF but he is currently redrawing it for kit production, which I think is a better idea.  We then went back and put a couple flights on the prototype.  Pretty honest and good flying airplane. 

Saturday was a bit on the breezy side, though it made the high temps a bit more bearable.  Among the attendees were the Old Man, Mark Hughes, Jim and Lila Lee, Bill Calkins, Pete Mazur (Pete broke his foot right before leaving for the trip!  Hoping for a speedy recovery!) Larry Lindburg, Jim Renkar, Thomas Creasey, and a few more.  Spent most of the day bench flying, putting up actual flights between the wind gusts, and regaling each other with tales of Sig contests gone by. Bob also raffled off some kits and other goodies.  Of course the highlight of the day was a visit from Hazel.  She stayed out and held court for quite awhile.  Her and I traded a few flying stories--of course hers were way cooler than mine--and got a selfie.  Later in the day it got cooler and the wind calmed down, and a few of us stayed out and flew until dark per tradition.  The field was available on Sunday but was just as breezy, and I had to get back to Ft Carson to try to get into a week-long Army school that I needed (that didn't happen of course).

Bob is making plans for it again next year.  If you can fit it into your summer plans, I highly encourage it.  I know it isn't a contest, and that seems to detract some people, but it really is a lot of fun to sit on the field and remember how much fun we had there back in the "good old days"!

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
Sean,
Thank you for the update.  Glad to hear that it happened and that some development work is happening for CL back at Sig.  Would like to make the trip back to reminisce.  Hazel is looking great. 
John
John Paris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here