News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying the Spectrum with Double Star .61 Engine...ViDEO  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Flying the Spectrum with Double Star .61 Engine...ViDEO
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »
I bought this Spectrum from a club member June of 2016 who bought it from a fellow who got it from the builder Pat Johnston...built in the mid 1980s. Originally had a Super Tiger .60 and 14x6 prop.
Now a Double Star.61 with 13x5 prop.
It has been hanging in my Nut-Hut taunting me.
Finally got it off the wall and out to fly.
One of the best flying planes I have ever flown. Hoping to do it justice in due time.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: Flying the Spectrum with Double Star .61 Engine...ViDEO
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:09:45 AM »
Good looking ship!!  Looked like it tracked good too.  A large 60 powered bird will happen at some point.  Becoming very taken with the larger planes.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 06:29:10 AM »
Good looking ship!!  Looked like it tracked good too.  A large 60 powered bird will happen at some point.  Becoming very taken with the larger planes.
Enjoying the big planes. As long as they fit in your car!
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
Shug, Anything that has to do with Pat Johnston will always be excellent. He knows how to design and build light and his planes are always very, very good. If you would like I have a special Tiger 60 reworked prop that Pat gave me that would be excellent on the Double Star 60. Let me know.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 04:27:24 PM »
Sorry Shug as I have no sound on main computer I am not up to par on lip reading.  The plane looks great and I too think you have a winner once you get the pattern right. LL~ LL~  Extra square 8 and short one lap between hour glass and over head 8 cost you pattern points.   Also I know you was flying on grass, but control the take off better.  Any way I guess I'm nit picking as your flight looked way better than mine. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 05:08:35 PM »
Sorry Shug as I have no sound on main computer I am not up to par on lip reading.  The plane looks great and I too think you have a winner once you get the pattern right. LL~ LL~  Extra square 8 and short one lap between hour glass and over head 8 cost you pattern points.   Also I know you was flying on grass, but control the take off better.  Any way I guess I'm nit picking as your flight looked way better than mine. H^^
This was not a contest! Just flying.....
Your a tough judge for this only being the 4th flight on it and a casual pattern. H^^
Square 8 was so fun I had to do another. Controlled the take-off more today.
But this is the first weekend I have flown it.
I beg of you...gimme time to to get to know it.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Shug, Anything that has to do with Pat Johnston will always be excellent. He knows how to design and build light and his planes are always very, very good. If you would like I have a special Tiger 60 reworked prop that Pat gave me that would be excellent on the Double Star 60. Let me know.
Thank you. That is a mighty nice offer from you.
I'd love to try it!

Thanks for the video.  If you was at nats  that would probably got you a trophy.
Thanks Rusty but it was only my 4th flight on it so pattern was just OK.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
Looking Good , thats goes o.k. ,
Should be really good when you start flying with your right hand .  :## S?P LL~ .

Er , co - incidently reading the ' Spectrum ' articals last night / this morning . 2 am even .  LL~
in one ( the Spectron Columbia ? ) or the Mk III he says about the Earlyer One , that ONCE he
collered the correct C.G. , it stopped needing trim adjustments for varying conditions .
Course he didnt actually say WHAT the correct C. G. poition WAS . >:(

But thought the plane worked very well in a bit of wind .

Envious of your Double Star . I expect a photo of the combustion chamber / inside head , if you ever pull it off . Please .

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 06:14:32 AM »
Looking Good , thats goes o.k. ,
Should be really good when you start flying with your right hand .  :## S?P LL~ .

Er , co - incidently reading the ' Spectrum ' articals last night / this morning . 2 am even .  LL~
in one ( the Spectron Columbia ? ) or the Mk III he says about the Earlyer One , that ONCE he
collered the correct C.G. , it stopped needing trim adjustments for varying conditions .
Course he didnt actually say WHAT the correct C. G. poition WAS . >:(

But thought the plane worked very well in a bit of wind .

Envious of your Double Star . I expect a photo of the combustion chamber / inside head , if you ever pull it off . Please .
Hope to not have to pull it off! I am going to add a wee bit of nose weight.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 06:53:35 AM »
Just curious .... how would you compare it to your Strega??  Engine run??  Line tension/Pull??  Turning??  Overhead??  Inverted??  etceteras?? etceteras??

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »
Just curious .... how would you compare it to your Strega??  Engine run??  Line tension/Pull??  Turning??  Overhead??  Inverted??  etceteras?? etceteras??
I am no expert but the Spectrum os lighter than the Strega. Snappy turns.
Neither pull too hard the way I have them set up. Reckon they pull like a 60 size.
Both real good overhead...Spectrum maybe a bit better.
Both are solid inverted.
Time will give me more insight.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
I watched the plane fly many, many patterns in Boise, Id. Pat flew it a LOT.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 02:58:43 PM »
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.   As in the past when I was flying 2 to 3 times a week I noticed that I was getting extra laps after the pattern.  Then the flying partner at that time pointed out I was leaving out the hour glass of all things. 

But, I remember one year at a NATS watching a practice flight in which the person was all over the place and leaving out laps plus some maneuvers.  When I questioned a fellow modeler about it, he stated don't worry at the person was checking engine runs.  We watched at least 6 of his flights that day.   Was also told that if you had told him that it would be an official flight I would have seen a different pattern.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
I watched the plane fly many, many patterns in Boise, Id. Pat flew it a LOT.
Can't believe it is still being flown!

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.   As in the past when I was flying 2 to 3 times a week I noticed that I was getting extra laps after the pattern.  Then the flying partner at that time pointed out I was leaving out the hour glass of all things. 

But, I remember one year at a NATS watching a practice flight in which the person was all over the place and leaving out laps plus some maneuvers.  When I questioned a fellow modeler about it, he stated don't worry at the person was checking engine runs.  We watched at least 6 of his flights that day.   Was also told that if you had told him that it would be an official flight I would have seen a different pattern.
Doc, you did not hurt my feeling but sometimes I just want to post a video of an un-official flight just for fun.
Always getting judged or critiqued when I post on here is good andI learn  but sometimes I just want to post a flight for no reason.
That'll learn me!  :##
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:06 PM »
Enjoying the big planes. As long as they fit in your car!

Wait...don't you drive one of those clown cars that you can pull like 30 big airplanes out of???

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
Wait...don't you drive one of those clown cars that you can pull like 30 big airplanes out of???

DAMN! Bruce! You beat me to that one! It just seemed natural Hey Shug! Just curious now, what kind of vehicle do you own? With your props and such I would guess you have a van of some sort when you go on the road. You should be able to get several airplanes in there. On the trip to SIG this summer, I had 8 full size stunt models in my '08 Town and Country and none of them touched! You just gotta be good at jig saw puzzles!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »
Well Shug keep the videos coming as I really like watching people fly.   In fact probably more than flying myself.   Don't have a video camera, but I got some flights on the Super Ringmaster this evening even though the temp gauge said it was 95 degrees F.   By the time I rolled up the lines it felt cooler to me as I think the humidity dropped.  Showed 93 on the way home.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »
Well Shug keep the videos coming as I really like watching people fly.   In fact probably more than flying myself.   Don't have a video camera, but I got some flights on the Super Ringmaster this evening even though the temp gauge said it was 95 degrees F.   By the time I rolled up the lines it felt cooler to me as I think the humidity dropped.  Showed 93 on the way home.
Ya' gotta love flying on those hot and muggy daze.....

Well, Shug, this means there is only one option for you.  You are going to have to go there next year and show them what you can do.    Your manager could probably get you a gig in that area also. 

Karl would be thrilled.   

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/86/d3/92/86d392ed57989751563b20350c4e222a--karl-bob.jpg
Karl is gonna fly someday...if he ain't give out.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
Well I have missed too many days of flying because temps too high,  humidity too high,  windy,  no helper and many other excuses.  As I told Charley Reeves when his was in town,  some times I just go to the field put up a flight and then just relax watching the wild critters that show up.   Especially the eagle that is usually in the area. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
Shug, to show my appreciation for you entertaining us with model, camping and packet gourmet meal videos, I make you this offer :  when you get the time and desire to build another model, I will give you the kit.  I have a large cache of old kits.   Let me know,   thanks.
That is so very nice of you.....I do have about 4 kits waiting to be built! That could be a lifetime with my building style.
Thank you very much.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »
Alright then.  Can I buy you a packet gourmet meal and delectable desert for you next trip to the hiking trail?
I recieve too many gifts but just you offering means a lot. Thankee.
Shug the Blessed
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here