News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just Curious?  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Just Curious?
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »
Hello,

I wonder what percentage of model airplane pilots are (or have been) full size airplane pilots?  Also, which came first?  Big planes then model planes?  Model planes then big planes?  I'm sure there's no real way of knowing but I would guess, maybe, 25%.  Could be way off.

I started flying model planes (control line) in the mid 1960's.  Then I signed up for pilot training at our local airport and got my license in 1972.  I haven't flown the big planes for quite awhile now.  Too expensive.  I hope to be able to continue flying the C/L planes for some time to come though.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Just Curious?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »
Hey Joe,

Someone has to be first, I guess--------

First model (plastic display) built in third grade; next, a solid balsa display model.  Slightly later I began the Comet kit project------a new one every month or so. 

Private pilot certificate earned while in high school,  all the other "stuff" many years later.

Now, just having a ball learning to fly CLPA!!

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:50:59 PM »
I had a private pilots license  when I was a kid (18-19). I soloed and got to fly a bit with a friend of my dad's. Went off to college, got married and such. When I went back to see about getting back into it I found out that it had moved way, way out of my price range. So, models will have to be it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »
Leonardo built model first.

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:38:07 AM »
I had a private pilots license  when I was a kid (18-19). I soloed and got to fly a bit with a friend of my dad's. Went off to college, got married and such. When I went back to see about getting back into it I found out that it had moved way, way out of my price range. So, models will have to be it.

Similar story, I think.  I loved all things that flew, and wanted to be a pilot more than anything when in elementary school.  I was building and flying Monogram SpeeDee Built FF Rubber kits in 4th-5th grade, and bought used CL models in sixth grade to try flying them.  In 7th grade I was building my own CL planes and looking forward to my 16th birthday to take private pilots' flying lessons. 

At 15, I met an instructor pilot who was also a modeler, and he gave me "free" lessons (no cost for his instruction, but I had to handle the planes' rental costs).  I had about 12-13 hours of dual before he was transferred, and no ground school at all. Never got around to my Solo flight, and a few years later when I checked things out again, the rental cost had gone through my financial "roof".  That was the end of that.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »
At the time I could not afford flying lessons.  Started model planes as soon as Mother would trust me with single edge razor blade.  I think I built all of the 10 cent Comet planes and a few of the 25 cent ones.  Then got my first engine for Christmas.  It been model planes ever since as cost of true airplanes were out of the budget.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »
   Hi Joe

Started flying some stick and paper RB planes in late 50's and got a start in C/L shortly after by
 an uncle who flew stunt competatively back then.  Tried the real thing about 72 or 73 but after about
  30 hours I decided the cost was just far greater than the use I would be able to make of it.  My father
  was very proud of his Air Corps service in WWII so we talked planes as far back as I can remember.

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 03:14:26 AM »
Started building stick-and-paper models 55+ years ago. Mom had a "hissy-fit" every time I mentioned actually flying. Then I discovered that my hearing was so bad that I could never have passed the physical, anyhow. I have a few very "unofficial" hours of stick time flying with luckier friends, both power and sailplane (What a blast!), but that's as far as that dream will ever go.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 04:22:10 AM »
1956 - 1972  F2B
1972 - 1986  Commercial, instruments, twin engine; 1000 plus hrs. PIC. Mooney, C-182, PA-34-200T
1986 -  Back to the essential; F2B
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:53:37 AM by Peter Germann »
Peter Germann

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »
Hello,

It sounds like those of us who fly c/l planes and have piloted full size planes all traveled about the same path.  Models first, then big planes, back to models.  Also, the cost of flying the big planes does make it difficult for all but a few.

In 1972 the cost of a "Private Pilot Package" here at our local airport was $600.00.  The package included ground school, pilot training book, log book, 20 hours dual (with instructor) and 16 hours solo time.  That, combined, should have been enough to get a private pilot's license.  Plane rental, after the package was completed, cost $16.00 per hour.  Lord knows what flight training and plane rental costs now but, even then, it was pretty expensive in relative terms.  I was a city fireman then and made $5.50 per hour so I had to work almost three hours to pay for one hour of flying. That got old pretty fast.

Oh well, flying full size planes was fun and I'm glad I had the experience but I'm happy flying models now and it suits my budget much better.

Thanks to all who shared their experience with flying models and full size planes.

Regards,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 11:04:12 AM »
My path was almost a carbon copy of Peter's.  Comet models from '48 -56
control line from '56 -now
Private in '71, commercial-72, instructor, multi-engine & ag in 73 with 1026 hours by '78 when the old 38 year old heart objected to 14 - 16 hour days while spraying.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 11:27:35 AM »
Peter,

>>1886 -  Back to the essential; F2B<<

1886? Wow!

Will,

That's OK, I know several spray plane guys that aren't around anymore. Years ago I worked with guys disabled at work. Top three careers ended by accident were: Tree Faller, Miner and Spray Plane Pilot.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
Hey Randy,
I actually felt more at risk when instructing!  Never had a student, whether private or commercial who didn't try to kill me at least once!
Will

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 06:16:58 PM »
I started with model airplanes at 7 years old and got my gliders pilot license at 16 at Elmira NY the glider capital of the US. A friend and I rented single engine aircraft at Clearwater Fl in the 1990's. It was $65 hr at that time. I have about 300 hours. Not much compared to commercial pilots.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dave Simons

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
Interesting thread - Same profile here: models since I was about 7, C/L in the 60's, glider licence & instructor rating at about 20 (worked in the UK as an instructor), power licence and various ratings mid 20's,  more or less continuous training since - best part was the course at Mojave in flight test engineering, flew about  20 types in a month!

At the GA airport where I work, I'd guess that about 50% of the pilots(older ones anyway), mechanics, engineers, designers have had experience with models. There are at least 2 active TR guys here(who have flown at w/champs level), a couple of FFers and many guys flying RC fun. Not unusual to see a model in a car parked around here.

In my company, graduate engineers are at an advantage if their CV mentions models. We have a policy that all the people in the design office have a PPL or better. If they dont, the company pays them to do it. We have a C172 (an old one!) for training, occasional blue sky business trips and as a perk for the employees. The deal for them is if you want the Cessna for the weekend, bring it back as you found it - unbent, full fuel, full oil. To discourage "get homeitis", the company will pay for accommodation and alternate transport if bad weather arises - I used to be a (Australian equivalent) NTSB investigator and believe that single engine VFR is not a serious means of transportation.....and that scud running is nearly always fatal, we had a triple fatal here last weekend - VFR pilot, IMC weather.

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
Built models as a kid c/l freeflite and later r/c. Soloed at 16 then on to com. multi, instrument. Been spraying 30 yrs. trying to get get back into u/c for the last 2yrs but having trouble making time.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:41:20 PM »
Will,

+1 on the Hazards of Instructing (there should be a special course just for that!!).  It's amazing what students try to do.......... :o

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 07:54:01 PM »
Will,

+1 on the Hazards of Instructing (there should be a special course just for that!!).  It's amazing what students try to do.......... :o

Jim

Jim, you said it oh-so well.  It's amazing just how creative a student can be with their head in their armpit!  (I was one, too, and remember all too well some of my own bonehead shots!)  ~^ ~^ ~^
Will

Offline Bill Turner

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 07:31:18 AM »
Started with models first.

Private Pilot Single Engine Land, June 1986  Just over 300 hours.  All Spam Cans.

Still modeling.

$Bill
Bill Turner

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:32:11 AM »
My first C/L model built (and sort of flown) in 1944.

In 1963, I bought an old Aeronce 7A-C, rebuilt it, and hired an instructor.  Earned Private SEL with Instrument rating. (in a C-172).

Last flew my Focke-Wulf 44J (biplane) in 2001.

Floyd Carter
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »
Private Pilot Single Engine Land, June 1986  Just over 300 hours.  All Spam Cans.

Still modeling.

There have been some WW-II warbirds named Spam Can, however, I suspect you are using a term for a light plane type that isn't a generally familiar piece of slang.  This is my first time seeing it used, unless my memory is really a lot worse than I think it is!

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 03:40:24 AM »
Anyone remember an airplane called a "Citaborea"? That name of the plane is "aerobatic" spelled backward.

I flew one a few times back in the early 1970's.  The plane I flew was a high wing aircraft and had a carburatored engine.  When inverted, the engine would stop running!  Some models were fuel injected and didn't have that characteristic.  All I ever did was a loop and the engine died as you came over the top.  It fired back up (thankfully) half way down the downhill leg of the loop. That made for some "tense" moments during the first few loops I tried.  I'm not sure what other aerobatic maneuvers that plane was capable of.  Loops were enough excitement for me!

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 07:14:22 AM »
1947:  StromBecker solids
1949:  Monogram Speedee-Bilts
1951:  Berkeley Mini-Zilch; Cub .049 -- the beginning.
1967:  34 hours in a C-150, Lake Tahoe (elev. 6229') -- soloed at 10 hours.  Cost?  $13.00/hour, wet.

Never touched another full-scale aircraft after that.  Too costly.

1966-1980:  Competition Free Flight...Taft; Elsinore; Fresno.
1980-1985:  Earning degree, nights & weekends...no modeling whatsoever.
1986:  Re-discovered controline.  Things just haven't been the same since.

mk
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 07:28:16 AM »
Been flying C/L since about the 5th grade. My 1st AMA license in 1957 as a Jr. I have all of them saved in a book since 1957. Also started flying my own designs shortly after, learning basic drafting and designing that led to a career.

Flying: commercial, instrument, multi engine, flight instructor ratiings.  Inactive the last few years.. I miss it.

Never stopped flying models and competing. And now building and suppying custom laser Cad drawings, and laser kits as Blue Sky Models

AMA 7544

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »
Anyone remember an airplane called a "Citaborea"? That name of the plane is "aerobatic" spelled backward.

I flew one a few times back in the early 1970's.  The plane I flew was a high wing aircraft and had a carburatored engine.  When inverted, the engine would stop running!  Some models were fuel injected and didn't have that characteristic. 

All Citabrias were high wing planes, and I never heard that any backward spelling had been involved, but I never saw the name with any "E" nor any "O" in it. 

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »

I flew one a few times back in the early 1970's.  The plane I flew was a high wing aircraft and had a carburatored engine.  When inverted, the engine would stop running!  Some models were fuel injected and didn't have that characteristic.  All I ever did was a loop and the engine died as you came over the top.  It fired back up (thankfully) half way down the downhill leg of the loop. That made for some "tense" moments during the first few loops I tried.  I'm not sure what other aerobatic maneuvers that plane was capable of.  Loops were enough excitement for me!

Joe

Actually, it was spelled "Citabria", and is "Airbatic" spelled backwards.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »
I have only about 2 hours in a Citabria.  I had to rent one to get my bi-annual flight certification, because the instructor wouldn't agree to fly with me in my Focke-Wulf 44 biplane!  Main reason is the front cockpit of the bipe had no brakes, and the instructor didn't know me well enough to trust me on landings. (besides, during nose-high touchdown, the front cockpit is nearly "blind")

"Spam can" is a common term.  Refers to any all-metal plane, like Cessna.  My C-172 rattled quite a bit, especially during starting up.

Floyd in OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »
I stand corrected on my spelling of "Citaborea."  "Citabria" it is.  I knew it was a backward spelling but it's been more than 35 years since I have thought much about it.  Sometimes, I'm not sure what went on yesterday so, I guess, I didn't do too badly.  Never was that great at spelling to begin with.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »
[quote author=Joe Messinger Anyone remember an airplane called a "Citaborea"? That name of the plane is "aerobatic" spelled backward.

Joe

Joe,
I had around 25 hours in the Citabria while working on my commercial.  It was the flat bottom wing version without an inverted oil system so the only inverted flight I could do with it was in rolls and loops, but it was a lot of fun.  If your experience included the engine quitting at the top of loops then the rascal needed work!  I put the beast through many, many loops without that happening as well as the rolls.
I didn't really like the airplane for aerobatics because it was basically nose heavy.  For spins, one never had to "break the stall" with forward stick, but rather just hold the thing in your lap because it would steadily increase the nose down attitude until, after the second spin, it would be in more of a steep (very steep) spiral.  The accelerometer would generally read at three G's after a three turn spin.
I understand that Bellanca, the manufacturer, later designed that characteristic out of it.  The model I flew was one of the first out.  They also made a nearly or fully symetrical airfoil version later with inverted oil system.
Blessings,
Will

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 09:18:48 PM »
Very interesting stories!

I started with rubber power modelplanes at 7, did a few WWII plastic models, then C/L models until 18 (1978). Then I started to fly real gliders and forgot all about modelairplanes In 2006 I moved to a new town and soon saw a flying site 5 minutes from home.  One day visiting my parents I found my first C/L engine an Enya 19, but these two things didn't awake the c/l virus a sleep for so many years. A few weeks later after I had found my old engine, my brother showed me the plans of a Miss Kell from MAN 1976, it was the plane I was planning to build next back then, and that made the c/l virus awaken big time! I had a flying site, an engine and a plane to build. I got so into it that I end up opening a hobby shop a few years later and that's what I am doing now.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »
No pilot's license for me. I had thought it would be cool to build a homebuilt, and fly it around the country to model airplane contests. But I eventually discovered that I didn't have the eyesight to make it safe, nor could I understand the static on the radio. Dad solo'd a Jenny when he was a Sr. in HS, in Corvallis, OR, in '27, and was a USAF pilot until '60. He offered to give me lessons, but I declined, knowing that I'd never be able to afford flying, and it would just be frustrating to me. Maybe it was the night flight on my 15th birthday that was the convincer. It was awful dark, and there we were, flying around in that L-17 Navion, over the Palouse hills. I couldn't see squat!  LL~ Steve

PS: My brother lives near China Lake, CA, and flies his gliders whenever he feels he can get his dollar's worth out of the tow plane charges. He has at least 3 or 4 gliders in his backyard, each in their own trailer, and they're all his. I think they're all homebuilt or kit built Schreiders. One is Mr. Schreiders' original, with the wooden trailer he towed it around Europe in. It's obviously dangerous.  He's looking for a museum to donate it to...
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
Hi Will,

The Citabria I flew a few times may have had something wrong with the fuel system.  If so, I'm glad I didn't know about that when I was flying the thing!  The engine would definitely stop running as you came over the top in a loop.  The instructor who flew with me gave me advance warning that it would happen before we did the loops.  His explanation of the cause is the one I offered in my earlier post.  I really don't know, or remember, much about that particular plane.  If I had to guess, I would say it was built in the 1950's or 1960's.  Again, just a guess.

I watched (from the ground) that same Citabria perform maneuvers during a small air show that was held at our local airport.  Every time the pilot did a loop, the engine would quit at the top.  It always started back up on the downhill part of the loop so maybe that old Citabria is still flying somewhere?

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »
Hi Guys,
I got my first airplane rides early in life, I cannot remember which was first but a T-6, T-28 and Apache and Bonanza were all jumbled up in there. My first memory of flying an airplane was my parent's friends Bonanza. it actually moved when I moved the whell, so I noticed this and started rolling it from left to right banks to me mother's great consternation. My recollection was that Bill was happy, I was happy and Mom was yelling, "Bill, make him stop!" The visual is blue sky with puffy clouds, three tone blue Bonanza with matching interior. My parents say I was 2, almost 3 yrs at the time.
Bill bought me my first model airplane, it was a Wen mac Day Fighter P-63 with the JUMP! ejection seat pilot and chute. I still have it bu it was mofied later to a Reno Racer!
Dad ans Mom bought me a PT-19 when I was 5, but I had been flying a Ringmaster Jr. for a while.
Later a PDQ Flying Clown, and a Magician as well a bunch of Veco and another Magician my Dad built.
I flew Speed and Scale and Stunt scared me because I didn't like to crash. I participated in the Navy Nats from '68 to '72 but attended the "66 and '67 Nats too.
Around '68 dad started getting interested in full size airplanes again since his career was moving along steadily. He attended the Tallmantz Museum Auction as a bidder but came back with nothing even though I had a whole list of airplane's for him to buy! He wanted the Curtiss Gulfhawk but the lots had multiple airplanes and it came with a Wright Flyer or something which made the prices much higher. I later found out that a P-40 went for 5,000 dollars at that auction and he said, "That was a lot of money!"

I'm an airline brat. My dad was a TWA Captain and so our family had an airplane for trips (though we never seemed to use it for that as much as the camper).
Mom and Dad had an interest in an FBO and we had 4 Citabria's within the fleet. 3 were 7ECA model's with 115 hp Lycoming O-235 and had gravity fuel and oil systems. Later, we got a brand new 7KCAB 150 hp Lyc O-320 with a Christen inverted fuel and oil system. (I remember we bought it from Screaming eagle at Santa paula and that airport had great stuff like Orange County did too. Mira Slovak traded a new Citabria for the old Airacobra from Orange County and I hung out at his hangar wishing we had that!)  The fuel header tank let it run for a period of time inverted. The airplanes were licensed Aerobatic category and I used to make Dad sick as I flew them in acro  for hours. He never let on. The ECA's would quit whenever the g load was zero. The KCAB would run all the way around. They all were approved for the same aerobatic maneuvers, except the ECA's were approved for "Inverted Glide"!
Never had one do the spiral, no spin trick. Sounds weird, I've flown a lot of them and they all did the same type spin, even the later Decathalon's. Possibly both wings were unstalled and it was always spiraling?

I got my ratings through HS and college. We had a D-17S Staggerwing until '79 as well as an Aeronca Chief. i soloed them on my 16th birthday.  Dad bought a '80 R182 new and leased it back to a school after the old flight school was disbanded. I got my Comm and Intrument in it , and flew it quite a bit.

A buddy introduced me to a guy that needed a corporate pilot in his new Bonanza and I accepted his 10,000  year!
Aftyer that there was fery jobs, freight jobs, regional airline jobs. As well I flewa B-25 and some other WWII airplanes in air shows around california.  Then got hired at TWA in 1988. I was fortunate to fly with my Dad on the L-1011, and flew the 727, 757, 767, DC-9, and MD-80 too. Now I'm an American MD-80 Captain as they bought TWA in 2000.

I flew pretty regularly in Stunt from 1982 to 1993, where my best showing was 18th at the 1992 Nats and I designed and published the model in Stunt News , the Golden Falcon. I liked Classic and built and flew a few models including the Macchia King Cobra, Olympic,Skylark and AMA-68 design of my Dad's in VSC from the start until 1994.

Getting into real ships again I flew for Evergreen AirVenture museum flying their WWII stuff out of Marana, AZ and ferrying acro airplanes for performers. I flew for an airshow performer in St. louis and gave rides in biplanes like the N3N and Staggerwing, as well as giving instruction in them and doing spin and unusual attitude recovery for corporate flight deartments in a Aerobatic Bonanza 33. 

I bought a Pitts Special in 1997 and sold it to buy a newer model in 1999. I raced them both at the Reno Air Races and competed in aerobatic competition. It was fun, but kids and stuff made it prudent to sell. I'm airplane-less now, but have an idea to buy an S-2A as a business for rides and instruction. great write-off and the hangar makes it brick and mortar so ads to the legitimacy. We'll see what the future holds for private aviation! $5.00 gal gas is only the start of it. Manufacturuer AD's, privatization of ATC for profit is going to make it very expensive. Remeber the Boston tea Party? No one else does, evidently!!!

In 2004 I started flying models again and flew Stunt with the Golden Falcon and my later pipe ship the Copperhead V-10 (Lou Wolgast knows what that name comes from.) 
My youngest son Michael showed an interest and he has gone from C/L sport to stunt, Scale and now likes R/C.

I am an R/C guy right now, but building a lot of things so I'll be back in the circle eventually!

Chris...   

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »
Chris you have been one busy young man.  How did you find time for a family?  Now you have a young man in your son to fly with, wether it be CL, FF or RC keep flying.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
Chris, you've done things that most only dream about!  That Staggerwing is one pretty airplane.

Thanks for your post.  If I come back in another life, I'm gonna"' do all the stuff you have. . .

Regards,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Bill Turner

• Ensign
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 12:51:51 AM »
My earlier reference to spam cans meant Cessnas.  I also have a couple of flights in a beechcraft t tail and a citabria but most in Witchita's finest.

Best was a 180 that had been completely redone, with a 300 hp engine and variable speed prop.  The seats we like sittin in a fat lady's lap.  Soft and very comfy.  My first tail dragger, but my instructor had made me make every landing on the mains and when all the lift was gone then the nose wheel settled on he'd praise me.  Otherwise, I "drove" it on like a car.  "Hell, anybody can drive a car, but it takes a pilot to fly a plane."  I haven't forgotten that.  I remember in heavy crosswinds him making me land it on one wheel then the other main would settle then the nose.

Best compliment I ever got was when flying solo he was with another student, and I did a crosswind like he taught me.  He came on the radio and complimented me, and I just said "Well that's the way you taught me!"  Still I was never more proud.  I love the feeling of flying a plane and making it do what you ask.  Even if it's just to go from one place to another.

If it flies I love it.  Went with a guy in a Navion once and the nose gear wouldn't come down.  After a few cycles I said why don't you step on the rudder and make it go both ways then center and try that.  It worked.  The pilot had a major pucker factor going on and I must admit I was right there with him.  Took both of us a couple of minutes to get out of the plane.

Lots of fun and wouldn't take anything for the hours time effort I've spent learning to fly and flying.  All sorts including C/L.  Radio was okay but I missed the tactile feeling of flying that you get with our models.  So sold all the radio gear, and back to the best.

Thanks everyone for including me in this conversation.

Best to all
Bill
Bill Turner

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 03:30:04 AM »
Control Line, then

full size and Control Line, then

just Control Line.