News:

• April 24, 2024, 12:40:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FLYING MODELS RULES!!!  (Read 1355 times)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
FLYING MODELS RULES!!!
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:36:39 AM »
 Let's hand it to Flying Models magazine for once again keeping it real, and having some guts, by putting a good 'ol noisy, oily, old school Hellcat control-liner right smack on the cover!
 I thank them for always sticking to their roots, and continuing to be a true builders magazine. This new October issue also contains a great spread on the Brodak contest, as well as plenty of other C/L stuff in there as usual. **) **) **) y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: FLYING MODELS RULES!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 07:41:51 AM »
I agree, it's one of if not the best model magazines out there (except that it doesn't hold a candle to Stunt News ! )
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »
I just sent my renewal in for Flying Models. It's the only extra pub I suscribe to. As long as Allen Brickhaus and Dean Pappas continue to write for them, I'll keep reading.

Yes, I know Dean does RC Pattern. But there are many hidden gems for you pipe engine guys and electric guys in his columns.  #^

Ron

Edit: bad typing.
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Dwayne

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:11:44 PM »
I've got coppies of FM dating back to 1974. I once saw a pic of a moddified banshee and wanting to build one I called FM to get some more info (before puters) and who answers the phone? None other than Bob Hunt himself! He couldnt give me any info on the the plane as the pic was subbmited by a reader but Bob and I had a great chat about this new fangled thing called a tuned pipe, he also told me about an up coming series called the R-D 1 wich I promptly orderd plans for. It was so kewl I read this guys collum every month and now here I am talking to him!! Way kewl! Yup FM is an awesome mag!
Dwayne

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 08:37:29 PM »
I've got copies of FM dating back to 1974. I once saw a pic of a modified banshee and wanting to build one I called FM to get some more info (before puters) and who answers the phone? None other than Bob Hunt himself! Dwayne

Bob is a friend of mine. He is a very honest personable guy. Ask him a question and get the real answer. May not be the one you want to hear but its usually the right one. He can be reached by Calling Robins View Productions during normal business hours.
AMA 12366

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:58:26 PM »
As I said I got to talk to him about it. Now this was along time ago and I dont know the two people who were flying on that day, but I do know this. Two people were flying RC Pattern and they set the pipe up on their ship way to long and when they were flying their RC Pattern ship they noticed something strange, when they pointed the nose up the engine picked up and when they pointed the nose down the engine came back to it's origanal RPM, They did this again and again and got the same results..So one of them went over to Bob Hunt and said Watch this and sure enough point the plane up and the engine picks up, point it down and the engine comes back. So these two gents say to Bob, Where would you like this to happen!! It was then that Bob Hunts reteirment from controline was over, He went to a feild and  hooked a pipe up to an old ship and it  performed the same way!! He then went to the only guy he knew who could work this new technology out  and that would be Mr. Bill Werwege(sp) No one can burn fuel like Bill , he burned fuel and burned fuel and said something to the effect that the tuned pipe setup  is going to set the stunt world on it's ear!

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 11:59:34 PM »
FM remains a top quality modeler publication; I continue to be a big fan.

As for Bob Hunt, I first met him at the Tri-Cities Nats many years ago. Bob is a true pioneer, always
looking to develop (stunt) more. His efforts in application of foam wings, piped engines, and now
electric power are legendary. He immerses himself in new technology, is a world class (champion)
stunt flyer and a great communicator to boot.

L.

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them." -Pierre Augustin de Beaumarchais
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 09:40:11 AM »
I have been a subscriber to Flying Models since the late fifties.  Met Bob Hunt in 74 at Lake Charles while making funny wires for F2C Team Race.  He has been one of my idols since.  One thing Flying Models has that Stunt News doesn't, is it covers as much of modeling as space will allow.  There is more than just doing loops and such.  -- DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here