News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:25:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying fortress  (Read 1398 times)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Flying fortress
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
I get asked pretty often about how it’s going with the flying field and those who tear it up.  Doc and myself ringed the circle with rail road ties last year and it really slowed the saboteurs but still we’ve had incursions and damage.  Lately the ties are starting to disappear,  likely someone landscaping.  I think we finally have our solution.  Doc has been driving in five foot heavy steel fence posts about half way down or 2 1/2 feet.  You would do very serious damage to any vehicle trying to run them down and it would take a large tractor to pull them out.  They have a steel spade on the bottom end.  He has just a few more to go.  They could get a motorcycle in but can’t do near the damage these pickups and jeeps have been doing.  I think we will put in a concrete center before winter.  It will be worthwhile to add improvements.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flying fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »
Finished up yesterday what posts I had in the Suburban and then got a couple of flights in.   Need a few more to finish circle.  Now I need to catch the brainless coward on the dirt bike.   A guy on a four wheeler stopped and talked to me and stated maybe barb wire a few inches above the ties tying the post together.   I know the space we take the mowers through will probably a heavy chain with a lock for those of us that mow.  Can't thank Dave enough for mowing last year when mine was out of commission.

By the way that post driver gets heavy. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »
Doc 'n Dave,

That's wonderful work you're doing. Never give up!

Ol'D

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
Finished up yesterday what posts I had in the Suburban and then got a couple of flights in.   Need a few more to finish circle.  Now I need to catch the brainless coward on the dirt bike.   A guy on a four wheeler stopped and talked to me and stated maybe barb wire a few inches above the ties tying the post together.   I know the space we take the mowers through will probably a heavy chain with a lock for those of us that mow.  Can't thank Dave enough for mowing last year when mine was out of commission.

By the way that post driver gets heavy. D>K

I would suggest putting 2 openings for mowing chain one and put those reverse spikes in the other LOL

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
Great job, guys! We know what you have been going through, but unfortunately cannot put barriers up, because the fairgrounds won't allow it.

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 01:59:56 PM »
Am I the only one who saw the thread title and thought, "oh, a B-17 stunter....?"

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 02:12:08 PM »
Well maybe at the Walker Stunt Ranch....

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
Congratulations to you guys for not giving up or giving in!  Happily at our site they just leave their empty water bottles and candy wrappers....

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
Congratulations to you guys for not giving up or giving in!  Happily at our site they just leave their empty water bottles and candy wrappers....
Thanks Scott.  I must say there was a time or two we’d have just given up if we had any other choice for a flying field within reasonable driving distance.  It’s hard to describe pulling up to ‘moonscape’ where your carefully manicured field was.  Hardly a blade of grass and ruts or dirt piles a foot deep.
AMA 20934

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 06:04:30 PM »
Good ide on the tee post , I have driven many for fence, but never for a Flying Fortress,
AMA requires "a well defined circle " for competition,

you have that covered in any lawyers eyes,,

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here