News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying circle in Munich? near aircraft muesum?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Flying circle in Munich? near aircraft muesum?
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Flying circle in Munich? near aircraft muesum?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
I saw somewhere recently that tether car racing still has a following in Europe.  That circle looks about the right size but I can't tell from the map if it has banking and a place for the center post.  Looks like it has gone unused for a while whatever its purpose.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »
Mi idea is:
Considering that there is a sporting airfield nereby, I can imagine that in the ancient times there worked a modelling club, with active tether car branch.

Similarly to Budaörs Airfield (near Budapest, Hungary). Budaörs was the site of Control line World Campionships 1960 and 1964.
See:
https://www.google.hu/maps/place/Buda%C3%B6rsi+Rep%C3%BCl%C5%91t%C3%A9r/@47.4480848,18.9849987,138m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4741de021ba2e45d:0x38508f5c67d4bfb9!8m2!3d47.4507221!4d18.9795645

Now the late world-famous tether car modelling is dead in Budapest, and we, stunt fliers cannot use the flying circles since they are made at 20 meters (65') standard,  not the 21,5 (71'), and not possible to enlarge them.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »
Hello Istvan
Pitty you cannot enlarge the circles with a chainsaw and tractor as Budaörs Airfield seems an ideal location to fly control line  :)
Nice picture on google of the airport and I like the pictures of the DC3 and Po2 flying, I presume the site is a museum now.

Have seen a couple of formed control line circles removed near where I live in Auckland New Zealand , one for a road the other for an aircraft hanger.

Regards Gerald

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
It's not a U-Control circle.  A soccer gold is 24 to 25' wide.  Using the gold as a scale it looks like the circle has a 30 to 35' readies.  Don't know the readies  of a car track but 30 ft sounds possible. ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:13 AM »
 Had great time at the museum and saw the rtp flying for the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 12:46:02 PM »
Dear Gerald,
Your question is about Budaörs Airfild is a painful story in my life.
Well, we flown over there from the late '60s up till 1990. It is not more than 15 minute far from my home. (That time we used .35 to .46 engines and the bigger circle's radius was exactly satisfactory for stunt.)
At 1990 we simply were thrown out (the army got that airfield.)
After 2000 sporting fliers got back the airfield, hangars, etc. and we allowed to return. I measaured the radius, that is not more than 24.5 meters (80' ) to the street fence. So this is not a question of chainsaw, there is nothing to do. To shift and rebuild the circle & inside fences, furniture, etc. required approx $ 1 million.
I need to tell the "other side" of the story: this airfield is very-very valuable site for plazas, living districts, etc. and many-many gangsters ( let us say "real estate developers" ) tried to buy it. There is only one thing keeps it as airfield: that passengers' service building is a famous, and scheduled monument of Bauhaus style, and not allowed to destroy.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
Hello Istvan
I am sorry to hear about the loss of Budaörs Airfield as a control line site when it has previously enjoyed as a site for flying models.

Unfortunately a lot of clubs have lost sites they have put effort and money into developing, improving and maintaining over a long time.
Often a Council or property owner redevelops us off the site for non recreational activities like housing, the land just gets too valuable.

We used to fly on two Air-Force bases here in Auckland New Zealand (Hobsonville and Whenuapai) and lost one to property developers and the other due to Green Peace attacking military aircraft which resulted in tighter security and removal of civilian airport users.

Probably common story a lot of flyers here can recall as they think back to those great places we used to fly at and when flying control line had more weight of numbers and people had more outdoor activities.

Best Regards Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here