News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: suggestions for a build  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • AMA 931589
suggestions for a build
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
I flew beginner this year at the Nats and I am looking for a winter build. Here are the requirements. Full fuselage for a ro-jett 40 re. This is the bar stock engine. This will be my first full fuse build so would like to have it fairly a straight forward build. Something that is competitive up through advanced.
Rick
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: suggestions for a build
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:06:02 PM »
will the RoJett 40 be piped or non piped?
Steve

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:12:58 PM »
can go ether way
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
Hi Rick,

I would say the Vector 40 is a simple build that is very competitive.  I would build the kit and not an ARF/ARC.

A better deal for me would be one of Randy Smith's ".40" piped models like the Satona, Staris, or Shrike.  These are about as good as it gets for the size engine you have with a pipe.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
Rick,
Let me suggest a Legacy 40.  You can deepen the fuselage a bit for the pipe.  A great design and a great flyer.  The kit won't cost you $250 either.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »
What plane did you fly at the Nats?
Steve

Dwayne

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
If you really want to  get ambitious order from Brodak the plans and ribs from a Legacy or Vector and  bash it into something that's yours.  y1

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
The Beginner pattern to a built up fuse plane and a top of the line motor may be a bit of a big jump. 

It might be prudent to consider a built up fuse plane using an LA-46, etc first.
Steve

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »
A cardinal kit or ARC with a la46 will teach you how to fly and be very competitive up to Advanced levels all most local contest,

If you must go with full fuselage , I would build a legacy 40

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:09:37 PM »
The Beginner pattern to a built up fuse plane and a top of the line motor may be a bit of a big jump. 

It might be prudent to consider a built up fuse plane using an LA-46, etc first.

I agree completely with this advise! ^^^^^

Nothing against the Vector 40 or Legacy 40, but a model that is Classic Legit would let you fly two classes and that will make you competitive much quicker. Brodak and RSM both have some great choices, T-Birds, Tucker Special, Noblers, Olympics, Tucker Spl., Smoothie, Oriental, and did I mention...Tucker Special?  :) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
Rick,
Let me suggest a Legacy 40.  You can deepen the fuselage a bit for the pipe.  A great design and a great flyer.  The kit won't cost you $250 either.

Exactly what I was going to suggest, in both the .40 size and the full size version the Legacy is an excellent airplane. A Legacy .40 with a Rojett could take you a long way. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:31 PM »
I flew a Stiletto with a Magnum 36 this year. I also have a smoothie, Nobler, Twister, Pathfinder along with some others. I was leaning towards the Vector because I could also get the arf's for practice planes. But looking in the shop I realized that I have stuff to practice with. What I need is something that I can compete with and would like to stay with the same plane for awhile. Also something that I built. I know that the second plane will build faster than the first and so on. That is why I am thinking of a more "top end" plane so that it would be easier and faster to duplicate when I crash. Not as often anymore but it does happen  HB~>. As for the Ro-Jett I got it to run it. If it turns out to be more than I can figure out I can always put in a magnum or a Fox 35  ;). Just kidding about the Fox but they are fun on my Ringmasters. But now it looks like a Legacy 40 may well be the ticket. And it is a beautiful plane. Who all kits the Legacy?
Thanks for the input and keep it coming.
Rick
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
If you really belong in Beginner then you'll be crashing -- so you want something that you can crash without tears.  That includes the engine, when you're flying over pavement.

I'd go with the Twister, or similar profile.  It'll fly way better than you, it'll be easy to repair, it'll be easy to trim, and if you completely smash it you won't cry.

Your Magnum 36 will be a good engine for it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:52 PM »
There is also the Oriental Plus RSM Kit for .40 tuned pipe engine.

From Plans there are many good choices. I  like my Pathfinder ARF from Brodak a lot and I asked John Miller to make plans for a Fullbody version, take a look:
http://www.cadclassics.net/pathfinder%20mk2fb.html

Randy Smith and Pat Johnston have some real nice plans too, you should check them out.

I can talk about the Pathfinder, which is the plane I learn the pattern and I still enjoy to fly today with good results.

There something magic about the Pathfinder wing, I can not make it to stall with full comand! I  can make some impressive small loopings with it.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »
Here is a picture of my Stiletto. My twister I flew at Sig last year. I was very happy with the results and how it flew. But after flying the Stiletto it was like a Cadillac and a Chevette. I know which one fly's better and how it feels on the handle. That's what I am after.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »
Rick, You'r already flying a very good model in the Stilletto, Why not build another ?,They are a great model as you well know. Regards , Noel.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 06:21:21 AM »
Rick, You'r already flying a very good model in the Stilletto, Why not build another ?,They are a great model as you well know. Regards , Noel.
I think this is a great thought.  You are already used to the design and know how to build it.  You can add maybe 1/2" to the fuse bottom to accommodate a pipe , don't worry about totally enclosing it.  I leave mine partly exposed to help cooling.  I really like the RO Jett .40,  I have three.  I only suggest you take care not to put too much airplane on it.  In my mind it is about the most perfect 'classic' size stunt motor.  It's in a .25 case.  It's pulled up to 64  ounce airplanes pretty well for me but that was really too much.  Try for something 57 or less and the engine is happy.  I also found it worked well on a cheap APC 11-4.  The happy place for the engine with that prop was around 10,100 RPM.  That would be magnificent in a 55 ounce Stilletto.....

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »
Rick,
Check your PM.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
Look at all the planes in your stable.  You already have practice planes.   But, really you said it with the Stilleto, it is the plane you really like.   I know of some planes with well over several hundreds of flights on them.   Practice with the plane you are going to compete with.  If you can already do the beginner pattern you are only a few maneuvers from the full pattern.   As was told me when I first started flying the full pattern, it is only a series of loops and level laps.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. The Stiletto I did not build. It was given to me by Larry Lindberg. I don't know if the original is even being produced.
This one was scratch built with a Super chipmunk wing and Stiletto tips. I am thinking Legacy. The kit is just over 100.00 with plenty of support from SH and Brodak. Thanks Crist for the PM and hope to see you at the field in Oct.
Rick
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »
Rick: I would suggest the Buccaneer 740. This is also an Allen Brickhaus designed
plane. It's easy to build, looks good and flies great. My brother Doug and I have
both flown Buccaneer 740s and 746s and they are great planes. The Buc 740
was the first plane that Doug really learned to fly the pattern with and was able
to start improving. He flew the 740 and 746 for about three years in competition
and I firmly believe that his experience with these planes set him on the road to
becoming a National Champion.

Having flown both, I actually prefer the 740. It has 575 sq. in. of wing area and
would be a perfect match for your RO Jett 40.

Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
Rick
The VECTOR 40 available from Brodak and Aero products would take you as far as you want to go, You could also use a kit, or a rib set and build the Tempest 40, SV-40, or DREADNOUGHT 40, these are straight forward easy designs and have won many NATs Championships all over the WORLD, as well as Here, and have been on Multi FAI World Champ teams.

Regards
Randy

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents... Legacy 40 or Vector... ARF, pick the Vector, building a kit, pick the Legacy...
Me? Well, I'd pick both... LL~ LL~ ;) 8)

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 01:12:29 PM »
I think the Legacy 40. I will place the order Monday. Which tank? It shows the medium uniflow 4oz will this be enough for the Ro-Jett? I would like to order them together. And thanks to everyone who has helped.
Rick
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »
I think the Legacy 40. I will place the order Monday. Which tank? It shows the medium uniflow 4oz will this be enough for the Ro-Jett? I would like to order them together. And thanks to everyone who has helped.
Rick

Rick,
I think Allen used a 6 oz plastic R/C tank.  I think I did the same.  I'll send you the build article.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Thanks, Crist
Rick Bollinger