News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flight Cases  (Read 938 times)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Flight Cases
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
Curious, but how does the FAI team pack their CL aircraft to be loaded aboard a Boeing 777 or similar?  e.g. What make and model of case is used, or what size custom case is used?  As I type, I am wondering if take-apart planes are the norm...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:30:48 AM by Peter in Fairfax, VA »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flight Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »
Peter the airplanes must be take-apart and break down small enough to get into one or two suitcase-sized boxes.  At one time I believe you could pay an oversized luggage fee for something bigger but now I think the rules are the max size is H+W+D = 62".  So then a custom made box(s) is required.  Way back at the Pasco, WA Nats I put a one piece full sized stunter in a wooden case and had no problem flying with that and only had to open it once here at my home airport to show the contents.  That all ended some time ago.  Another problem is transporting fuel and/or Lipo batteries.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
Dave,

Thanks for sharing that "take apart" is the norm.

FYI, I happen to carry my bicycle with me on various trips to the Caribbean.  Pretty much all the airlines allow bicycle cases, for a fee, and they are much bigger than 62" HWD.  Not sure exactly what "sports equipment" can go as luggage, but golf clubs, surfboards, etc. go all the time.

Peter

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
When flying to a contest, I have taken a wing only take apart in a flow molded box intended for skis called a "sportube"

https://www.sportube.com/Special-Edition-Series-3-Sportube-p/31brdpldx.htm.

if you can put it in a sport equipment box in common use, like a bike box or sportube you should have no problem.
Skis, golf clubs all fly as luggage (sometimes with oversize cost added) the 62 inch rule is for regular luggage.

The WC fliers I have spoken to seem in the main to have totally take apart suitcase sized boxes as described by Dave

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »
When flying to a contest, I have taken a wing only take apart in a flow molded box intended for skis called a "sportube"

https://www.sportube.com/Special-Edition-Series-3-Sportube-p/31brdpldx.htm.

if you can put it in a sport equipment box in common use, like a bike box or sportube you should have no problem.
Skis, golf clubs all fly as luggage (sometimes with oversize cost added) the 62 inch rule is for regular luggage.

The WC fliers I have spoken to seem in the main to have totally take apart suitcase sized boxes as described by Dave

I wish it was as simple as that. In 2008 Dave was not allowed to bring his box on the plane because it was too big. Orestes and I had 62 inch boxes and had no issue. Not Dave. His was over 90 inches lwh, but they absolutely would not take it.

So, if you are over 62, you are at their whim as to whether you can take it or not.  I don't like travelling that way.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 06:15:28 PM »
It's easier if you take the train, like the JCT.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here