News:

• May 14, 2024, 02:55:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Falcao TR - Brazilian 50´s Team Race Build  (Read 1907 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Falcao TR - Brazilian 50´s Team Race Build
« on: January 29, 2020, 05:30:55 AM »
This is one of the rarest control line kits from Brazil, it was produced in the 50´s by legendary (and still working) Casa Aerobrás and intended for team race flight, 29 engine required.
kit was pretty complete with tank, wheels, pre-bent landing gear, canopy, Bellcrank, wire, balsa wood ( heavy ), plans, some hardware and even a nice fiber pilot bust. Ribs and formers are printed on wood and quite painful to cut off due to the small section of some ribs, even worse as the balsa turned brittle after 65+ years.
Since 1984 it´s the first and only kit of this model that we ever seen for sale in Brazil and even a built model is impossible to find. It was popular in the 50´s but seems all have gone lost on competition
i choose to use all of the original parts as i was commissioned to build this one for a happy collector

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
Re: Falcao TR - Brazilian 50´s Team Race Build
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 05:40:24 AM »
After carefully cut of ribs and formers, i followed the nice instructions drawn and written on the plans and all came out nice, although some fixing has to be done on the curves of formers and ribs to achieve a smooth profile

Tom Vieira

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 05:50:06 AM »
Very cool!  did you make patterns of the parts before assembly?

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 05:55:27 AM »
Very cool!  did you make patterns of the parts before assembly?
thank you! nope, but a friend is selling the kit with the same artwork, laser cut, nice balsa an clear canopy:
https://www.aerotechmodels.com.br/product-page/aeromodelo-falc%C3%A3o-tr-2-vcc-u-control
you can contact him at : mpiolevel1@gmail.com

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:49:25 AM by fred cesquim »

Tom Vieira

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 07:43:41 AM »
cool!

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 02:20:19 PM »
The Class B Team Racers from the 50's were some of the neatest looking control line models of all time.  These appeared in the late 40's through the early 60's here in the States and elsewhere.  Many designs came from England.  There were 1/2A versions and I understand that New Zealand had a class for .60's.  That would have been interesting to see several 60 powered racers going around in the same circle.

Keith

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 05:27:11 PM »
The Class B Team Racers from the 50's were some of the neatest looking control line models of all time.  These appeared in the late 40's through the early 60's here in the States and elsewhere.  Many designs came from England.  There were 1/2A versions and I understand that New Zealand had a class for .60's.  That would have been interesting to see several 60 powered racers going around in the same circle.

Keith
Good information Keith!
i was told that this plane and team race here was huge back in the 50´s, wonder how we never seen the kits or built models at meetings...nowadays this one will be the sole racer at the field. what a shame...
more pictures to follow

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »
fuse top was planked, nice and light

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 07:15:22 PM »

Very cool model and a very nice build, keeping and eye on this one!  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 12:17:12 AM »
Fred,

Thanks for sharing your project with us!  It is always great to see another B-TR. As Keith says, these were some of the best looking control line planes ever.

It is interesting that the plane you are working on, once completed will be a "collector's item."  Yep--they're like artwork!

Glad to see that you have documented the design for future builders to discover.

The last B-TR race that I know of in California was probably back in 2006. We had three or four teams--I can't remember which--and seven planes entered. While several of them were gorgeous, none of them were dogs....

Dave

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 05:49:25 AM »
Fred,

Thanks for sharing your project with us!  It is always great to see another B-TR. As Keith says, these were some of the best looking control line planes ever.

It is interesting that the plane you are working on, once completed will be a "collector's item."  Yep--they're like artwork!

Glad to see that you have documented the design for future builders to discover.

The last B-TR race that I know of in California was probably back in 2006. We had three or four teams--I can't remember which--and seven planes entered. While several of them were gorgeous, none of them were dogs....

Dave
Thank you for the interest Dave, and i do agree, they look super cool! wonders if one day i can cross breed looks with stunt proportions, which is my  flight diet.
do you remember that bipe name? looks gorgeous!
we´re gonna have a meeting within weeks devoted to old time planes, will be there and post pictures here when finished

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 05:54:46 AM »
finish is "modern" with polyspan on wing and carbon veil on the fuse
one shot of 2 part primer, sanded 320, a light touch up of primer on the bare wood spots, final 400 grit sand
yellow is auto lacquer.
3 well thinned layers sprayed after the first layer is dry. i have found that this method take less paint to completely cover than wet layers

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
Fred,

Looks like your project is coming along very well. The cutouts in the cowling are interesting. Do the plans show that, or is it custom for your setup? I think I saw a Torpedo .29 in one of your earlier pictures?

Like the yellow, too. Can't wait to see the trim.

I looked thru the book on vintage B-TRs but did not find any from South America. That means there are a whole bunch of "new" designs to be rediscovered. Let us know if you find any more!

The biplane in the B-TR photo lineup was built by my former racing partner, Dave Dawson, a very fast builder and excellent painter. He called it the Heinz 57. It had "...a little bit of this one, and a little bit of that one"  in the design--hence the name. It was built using hollow log construction, and is currently sitting atop my piano....

Dave

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 06:17:22 AM »
This is a fun thread. Beautiful plane!  In our area (NJ, Pa) we had a TR revival right around 1980.  There were at least 10 competitors and we had some great races. I even wrote a story about it in Flying Models. After a few years it faded but when I got back to cl around 2k I started racing again and noticed the guys on the left coast were doing TR albeit with different rules. So, I rebooted my racers and we went to the Nats in '03. With the new rules I had to remove the Fox Mk4 and install a Nova Rossi 21 side ex.  In the final all of the entrys were running well when trouble struck and after much head scratching among the judges there was a restart which we won. Big thrill. Sadly, that was my last TR and even though the brains in California had banned the .29 motors the racers found out how to make a .28 run and soon the speeds were in the 120 region.  My feeling is that with more carefully crafted rules this would still be a popular event. Opinion, of course.   TS

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »
Fred,

Looks like your project is coming along very well. The cutouts in the cowling are interesting. Do the plans show that, or is it custom for your setup? I think I saw a Torpedo .29 in one of your earlier pictures?

Like the yellow, too. Can't wait to see the trim.

I looked thru the book on vintage B-TRs but did not find any from South America. That means there are a whole bunch of "new" designs to be rediscovered. Let us know if you find any more!

The biplane in the B-TR photo lineup was built by my former racing partner, Dave Dawson, a very fast builder and excellent painter. He called it the Heinz 57. It had "...a little bit of this one, and a little bit of that one"  in the design--hence the name. It was built using hollow log construction, and is currently sitting atop my piano....

Dave
thank you Dave, right now i just need to polish the model and final assy. I think we havd about 3 or 4 designs of TR models in the 50´s-60´s then everybody lost interest...i´ll try to get some plans pictures to post here. Do you have other pics of the Heinz 57? would like to see it properly.
As for speedy builder, i am not at all i have started this model months ago, just started to post here after i had finished painting! This model will be on "anyday to be open" model airplane museum here in brazil. this is my second contribution to this guy
the cowl opening is my design, the plans shows a central oval opening.
painting mask was done old fashion with hand drawn masks, but the lettering was vinyl cut at local facility shop and used as mask. Only the 50´s "aerobras" water slide logo at the rudder was laser printed at home , too small for painting

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »
Pretty cool to have your work in a model museum, Fred!

One thing about B-TRs is that folks work hard to make them look good. I think in the original rules, they were judged for appearance before the races, and the best looking got choice of starting position--or something like that. So looks counted. That is still the case today.

I would agree with C.T. that the portion of the current rules drafted in 2006 that allow full Schneurle engines up to .28 displacement was not well conceived for aging pilots. (The rules still allow single bypass .29’s, so that heirloom racer hanging on the wall is legal, just as it is….)  The level of performance with modern engines is such that finding three pilots with sufficient strength and agility to race safely is now difficult. I'm not sure that C.T. has his history in line, however. There was a push somewhere in the '80's(?) by Ken Smith in California to get B-TR going again. I wasn't flying in those years, so all I have is what I've heard around the pits. During that go-around, the intent was to revive vintage B-TR, with vintage engines. No Schneurle porting, no NovaRossis, and maybe not even ball bearings. I think this is consistent with what has been done in England and perhaps Australia. In the early 2000's, there was another push. This led to the NCLRA rules. That's what's out there now. Nobody in California "owns" the NCLRA rules. The special interest group does. Join up and vote!

I think where the current rules went awry (or perhaps more accurately, contributed to the moribund state of B-TR today) is that few wanted to fly planes with unrestricted engines with a displacement of up to .29 cubic inches. But everyone wanted to preserve the plane size and minimum fuselage dimensions. No one wanted a wimpy racer, either. The compromise was, as they often are, unsatisfactory to many. I will say that pretty much any standard .25 R/C engine is way more than plenty of performance. I have flown several fitted out like that. So now you either need even smaller displacement, or you need to run a venturi rule. Going to plain bearing engines would also help. For example, an OS .25FP would be a lot more manageable than, say, a GMS .25.  Or a Webra .28. Or, …..[list your favorite rule-wrecking motor here.]  And, as always, there is the never-ending discussion about forming event rules around engines that are no longer being made. For many guys, it is not an enjoyable treasure hunt looking for engines and parts to support them to comply with vintage, or even just 1960’s technology. It is always said to be unfair for the newcomer, whereas the “old racers” have just what is needed stashed away. Well, that’s one of the arguments, wheter or not there were any engines stashed. But with the prospect of fewer and fewer engines being produced, maybe we can get back to talking vintage B-TR again.

I have a pair of partially complete B-TRs that I will finish, even if all I get to do is sport fly them. The designs are beautiful. Hopefully, I can do them the kind of justice that Fred is putting into his Falcao. I enjoy seeing his work.

Dave[/list]

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 05:07:22 AM »
Good comments Dave. I would love to think that there would be enough interest to recraft the rules around modern plain bearing motors. LA, FP, Brodak .25 etc. and also include legacy stuff like Fox, Enya etc.  However, I think the train has left the station. Even our active but small group here in NJ is getting smaller each year due to age related issues. Last year we did not even have the personnel to run a 2 up clown race. Maybe this year!
    A little more east coast history. Early 80's the south jersey guys revived TR mostly using the old rules except we did not run the qualification heats. Just 70 and 140. Engines were not restricted so there was lots of experiment including diesel conversions. I did not have to develop the Mk4 because it was a good package out of the box. A bit over 100mph and 42+ laps so, with a clean race, it was a winner.   TS
PS  One of our guys recently built a Redskin with a Fox .35. Lots of fun watching it in the air!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
I have a Redskin I need to finish up.  Also have Fox .29's that are stock.   On the shelf is a TR that I got from someone with a Johnson .29, both have never been started.  If I remember right Ken wanted to keep the planes under 100 mph.  I was there the year they were to be flown during the VSC and the Dallas group had several planes ready to go.  But the wind GODS won out. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 04:50:32 AM »
lots of new quality information here for me that never been into the TR circles. heritage stories abound too, really glad this thread came out with such great comments. kinda hard to revive TR in Brazil nowadays , most modelers spend the week on whatsapp groups (this is really HUGE in Brazil) and by the weekend they are all fed up with modelling and skip going to the field, what a shame. plane is under polishing process now but i have some pictures before final buffing

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 04:52:50 AM »
final weight with engine 650 grams about 23 oz not sure if this is bad or good final weight, but balsa was the heavy and hard as could be and angine is a torpedo 29 r

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 05:36:55 AM »
No less than fabulous!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »
Plane looks great.  Weight is only a hindrance on exceleration and slowing down.  It comes in handy on windy days.  Hope she flies well for you. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »
 VERY NICE, and with a very tastefully done period looking paint scheme too, it's perfect!

Is the prop carbon fiber? The shape looks a lot like an old Top-Flite "Super M".
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 06:27:00 AM »

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
Plane looks great.  Weight is only a hindrance on exceleration and slowing down.  It comes in handy on windy days.  Hope she flies well for you. D>K
thanks John, will find out how she behaves next weekend! will post here the aftermath

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 06:30:33 AM »
VERY NICE, and with a very tastefully done period looking paint scheme too, it's perfect!

Is the prop carbon fiber? The shape looks a lot like an old Top-Flite "Super M".
thanks a lot Wayne! i was tempted to do ink lines all over her, but i believe that back in the 50´s Brazilians never had done them. i tried to emulate the colors and the graphics of the period, so glad turned out believable
the propeller is a cheap nylon 8x6 produced by mobral company in brazil in the 70´s but i will upgrade to a "aerobras" 50´s wood prop for looks
flight will be done with a 9x5 to spare the engine and the pilot dizziness

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 09:06:41 AM »
don't know the exact year but I went to the NCLRA and asked about adding B-TR to the nats .he said fine ,u run it  at the time B-TR was being run with a 100 MPH top speed limite .we had one of the largest  entrys at the nats,with entrys  from Portugal and England .but there was much grumbling about the 100 MPH top speed limite .so I held a meeting of the flyers and said this is your event, What do u want ,almost to a flyer they said get rid of the speed limite so we did .with in 3 years we lost our fun flyers and the hot guys found the Webra 28 and speeds were up to 120 MPH.with in 2 years we were down to four or 5 entrys and then not enough flyers to have a race so it died
rad racer

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »
don't know the exact year but I went to the NCLRA and asked about adding B-TR to the nats .he said fine ,u run it  at the time B-TR was being run with a 100 MPH top speed limite .we had one of the largest  entrys at the nats,with entrys  from Portugal and England .but there was much grumbling about the 100 MPH top speed limite .so I held a meeting of the flyers and said this is your event, What do u want ,almost to a flyer they said get rid of the speed limite so we did .with in 3 years we lost our fun flyers and the hot guys found the Webra 28 and speeds were up to 120 MPH.with in 2 years we were down to four or 5 entrys and then not enough flyers to have a race so it died
pro-competition always scares and make participation marginal
if you have a "sport" category, then maybe people try just for fun...otherwise most of them lost interest

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2020, 09:52:02 AM »
just a quick fix i have published the wrong email for the guy that´s selling falcão KIT
same artwork, laser cut, nice balsa and clear canopy:
https://www.aerotechmodels.com.br/product-page/aeromodelo-falc%C3%A3o-tr-2-vcc-u-control
you can contact him at : mpiolevel1@gmail.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »
Be nice if this was in English.   ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
you can email him, he speaks english
let me know if i can help
Regards

Tom Vieira

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 06:10:47 AM »

I bet people in Brazil would like it if this was all in Portuguese.....

Chrome has a pretty good embedded translation feature.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »
Hmmm. I didn't notice the translator wasn't working...?

Semi-elliptical wing = gorgeous

Red/Yellow paint scheme = really fast

Streamlined wheels = clean!

Fred and his buddies speak really good airplane.  What am I missing, here?

The Divot

PS--Here's a picture of a modern-ish B-TR by Dave Dawson. It was an AMA show winner, but we took it out and flew it, too.

B-TR's Forever!

Tom Vieira

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 05:56:45 AM »
seeing this one being built, and poking around a bit about them...

i kinda really want to make one now.....  yet another project!  hahahaha

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 05:51:36 AM »
Hmmm. I didn't notice the translator wasn't working...?

Semi-elliptical wing = gorgeous

Red/Yellow paint scheme = really fast

Streamlined wheels = clean!

Fred and his buddies speak really good airplane.  What am I missing, here?

The Divot

PS--Here's a picture of a modern-ish B-TR by Dave Dawson. It was an AMA show winner, but we took it out and flew it, too.

B-TR's Forever!
Dave thanks a lot.
this B-TR by Dave Dawson looks fantastic!
i plan to fly this weekend, at least a maiden and then goes to the museum wall that it´s intended to
just finished polishing, will post some pictures at the old times meeting on 9th upon my return
so glad this thread kicked interest to build a model on some of us
regards from Brazil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »
Fred,

HOME RUN!! You knocked another one right out of the park!

Your quality workmanship and what a cutie.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »
Man!  That polished out nice!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here