News:

• April 16, 2024, 09:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First the border now this  (Read 1670 times)

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
First the border now this
« on: July 29, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »
Just when things were beginning to look like they could be returning to normal our modeling association dropped a bomb shell . Our American modeling friends will no longer be allowed to fly in Canada using AMA .

Our MAAC president is very anti FAI / international competition. This whole thing smells. It probably means we will need AMA . Americans and the rest of the world now require MAAC to fly in Canada .

Like a lot of Canadians I live close to the border . Other than our own club events the closest contests are in Michigan. A lot of Michigan flyers come to our field just to practice and sport fly . It’s not the end of the world but it is stuff like this that tends to @#$% me off .

Brad

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: First the border now this
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »
  Politicians!!! A disgrace to man kind!  You guys need t vote that sucker OUT!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 02:06:14 PM »
Don’t get yer nickers in a knot just yet. This latest document applies to RC (RPAS) only. Another document for control line and free flight is still in the works.  Hopefully it won’t be as stupid.  https://www.maac.ca/en/notam.php
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
It's currently a reciprical agreement between MAAC and AMA.

If this happens to the satisfaction of your MAAC President, then MAAC members could come fly in the USA but AMA members can't enter Canadian contests without joining MAAC. I'd wonder if AMA would grant sanctions for contests in Canada?  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 07:45:30 PM »
Brad,
How about me getting a year membership from MAAC for $80 CDN ($64 USD) and forego Model Aviation with the US AMA membership ($75) and fly under the mutual agreement here.  MAAC is doing me a favour.....(need to spell it right for my new allegence). LL~

$40CDN for a 3 month pass to fly in Canada is probably doable but I am with you, why make the change for something other than a money grab.  Not sure what the numbers are for RC but I can't see this as a big cash influx.  Will need to see what the AMA counters with.

John

John Paris

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 12:29:55 PM »
View this message as a webpage.

You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
AMA Flight School | AMA Foundation | AMA Safety Guide | 1-800-IFLYAMA
Spacer-10x10.gif
http://www.modelaircraft.org/

ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS
Your Passion. Your Hobby.
ONE COMMUNITY.
Thank you for supporting AMA!

We want to make you aware that the former mutual agreement between the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) and the AMA is no longer in effect because of changes in Canada’s aviation regulations (CAR Part IX and the Exemption granted to MAAC and its members).

In order to fly model aircraft in Canada as a United States resident, you must have a MAAC membership. There are two options to join MAAC. You can purchase a temporary 90-day foreign membership for $40 Canadian or a full membership for $80 Canadian. Please visit MAAC’s website for more information.

At this time, AMA is not requiring MAAC members to join AMA to fly at our fields and events. Current MAAC members visiting the United States can continue model aviation activities while at an AMA chartered club field and/or AMA sanctioned event while abiding by both the AMA and MAAC Safety Codes. However, we encourage MAAC members to sign up as AMA Affiliate members.

All other non-permanent US residents – including Canadians who are not MAAC members - must sign up as an Affiliate member to participate in model aviation activities.

Please note the AMA Executive Council (EC) will continue to evaluate this situation.

Thanks again for your support! Please reach out with any questions at membersupport@modelaircraft.org or call (765) 287-1256, extension 129.

Happy flying,

Angie Martin

Glad to see that our Canadian brothers and sisters can fly in the US without having to join the AMA.  Now if the border can be opened.......
John Paris

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
Dang, I stand corrected.  It looks like the requirement for MAAC membership applies to all types of models, control line included.  As a minimum it's going to cost you guys about $30 for a 3 month temporary membership to fly here (or, $60 for the whole year).
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 10:55:55 PM »
The document mentions all types of models, but only RPAS ( remote piloted aircraft systems) require the MAAC membership.
My understanding is that C/L and FF are not RPAS , so no membership requirement applies.
Same for indoor R/C, it is not RPAS.

But the document is confusing, seems to say both things at once.
MAAC 8177

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 11:11:05 PM »
Ohh who wants to fly in Canada anyway :)

Even the Canadian's visit muncie to fly..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »
PJ,
You need to fly at the Beanfield in scenic Dresden, Ontario next time you are over this way.  Just like "The Field of Dreams" for CL.  I know that I am ready to head over and fly when things open up a little more.
John
John Paris

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 06:31:55 PM »
Thanks John .

I can’t wait to have our American friends over for some flying . The BBQ is getting a bit of a complex with all of us avoiding it.

As for the Muncie thing , yes I miss it . I miss Brodaks more .

Brad

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »
Thanks John .

I can’t wait to have our American friends over for some flying . The BBQ is getting a bit of a complex with all of us avoiding it.

As for the Muncie thing , yes I miss it . I miss Brodaks more .

Brad

I must make it there as well some time, hopefully next summer.  y1
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 10:36:33 AM »
A Field of Dreams unless the wind is blowing through the trees   ....   then it is a Field of Nightmares! You need dancing shoes on when the wind is through the trees. But the BBQ's are always functional, windy or calm  y1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here