News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Flight New Years Day 2018  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
First Flight New Years Day 2018
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »
 GSCB New Year’s Day fun fly was a bit of a challenge this year with an air temperature of 10 degrees and winds of 15 to 20 mph that made a wind chill factor of -10 degrees. I never tried to start a glow engine in that low of a  temperature before, but was determined to do it after one of the guys put up a flight with an electric plane. On the first  attempt I had to stop after 15 minutes and go back to the car to warm up my hands, everyone but Doug left because it looked hopeless. I put in a new plug and gave it another try and found the technique I needed to start the engine. I wanted to try a second flight to see if I could start the engine again, this time I got it going in a couple minutes. Now I know what the guys up north go through.
Al

Offline Glenn Quarles

• Lieutenant
Re: First Flight New Years Day 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
Squirting some cigarette lighter fluid in the intake will make it kick off much easier!

GQ
Live in such a way that those who know you, but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »
                   Al, a few of us Philly Fliers got together today. It was just brutal out in terms of temps. Dan had his Prowler out with skis on it. Shawn and I had the Drone .29 out converted to glow it started but wouldn't keep running. I don't know why but it's usually very reliable, not today. The needle valve flew out during some flipping and that's when I called it quits. I couldn't find it either so it went into the truck. The hot dogs were good that Larry Wilks cooked on the Coleman stove. I didn't warm up even when I was in the house for an hour. Ken

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:44:31 PM »
I flew my Fox powered Phil Cartier ex-championship combat plane @ 8:00 am. at the MCRC site
It was 63* and about a 10 mph wind....
There were a few RC guys there, too......
A whole lot of lying ensued....
Happy New Year!

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:13:54 PM »
Hey Ken,
         it doesn’t surprise me at all that you guys were out flying today, and I know exactly what you mean about thawing out. My hands are still feeling the effects of the cold weather.
 Glenn,
          I had some lighter fluid home and forgot to bring it. I really didn’t need it once I figured out how to choke start the engine.
Rich,
      I flew my Nelson 36 fast combat plane New Years Day last year, but with all the snow and ice on the ground this year I don’t think it would of been a good idea.

Offline E Boehm

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:19:11 PM »
Mike Cooper flew the earlier flight at the GSCB field. I brought a plane but chickened out and packed up by 10am! b1

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »

Glad some of you got out. The Piston Poppers ended up cancelling the annual NYD Frozen Fun Fly today, first time in twenty years I guess. Most of the would be attendees were already sick with colds, coughs, etc so they pulled the plug. It normally starts at 11:00am each year. At that time today it was nice and sunny, with basically no wind at all, but still 10 or 12 below zero. I was fine with the decision and headed for the workshop.  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:46:11 AM »
Nice Al!

I bailed out last minute. I had a Super Satan and Combat Streak in the truck and was........ Chickened out! LL~

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
Hey, I remember going out in sub freezing temps to fly on New Years day.   We even had to shovel snow one year.  Haven't done it for several years now.   Getting old I guess.  Watched the Rose Bowl Parade and then later watched the sooners give the game away.   Also enjoyed the annual black eyed peas, fried potatoes and biscuits.  Any way a great way to start the year so congrats guys. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »
 LL~ LL~  I just don't understand what the problem was for you guys  :-\ :-\!!  Me and a couple of my buddies went out for our New Years Day flying and we didn't have a problem in the world and had a ball!! Granted it was slightly overcast, about 68-70 degrees with a 2-4 mph gentle breeze out of the west .... Don'tch'all live in "paradise" too??   LL~ LL~

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
Al, You and Doug are my heroes........really.  I got a slow start on the day and stayed inside. It was pretty nice!  Maybe next year will be a bit warmer.  TS

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
Al:

Your the man!  I thought I was crazy skiing at -2 deg.  But I didn't have to take my gloves off to adjust the needle valve on my skis.
Jim Vigani

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
determination! Way to go! Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 06:23:20 PM »
LL~ LL~  Granted it was slightly overcast, about 68-70 degrees with a 2-4 mph gentle breeze out of the west .... Don'tch'all live in "paradise" too??   LL~ LL~

It's not even that warm in my basement shop this time of year.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
See why I call these guys "The East Coast CRAZIES!!!!"

LL~
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
You must have been second shift Al, Once Mike got packed up I couldn't feel my fingers anymore and the heater kept blowing out so the consensus was cut our losses and call it a day . Sorry I missed you. T J
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
One New Year's Day back in the late'60's early 70's, Duane Cowan and I went up to the Reading,PA Flying field by the Pagoda and flew in 10 degree temps! We held the engine under the exhaust pipe to warm it up some and started it almost instantly! He gave me a hand launch on my Goldberg Cosmic Wind and it flew fine although quite difficult! You see the center of the circle was all ice and I had very limited traction! But it was a New Year's Day flight! Once the plane landed we packed up and left! Too darned clod to repeat! The engine was a Fox Rocket Red Head .35. 

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 08:12:01 PM »
I'm sorry that I missed the New Years Day flying at the Philly field.I was out of town for New Years. I give all you guys credit as it was damn cold out there. Lighter fluid is the key to cold weather starting. I wonder what is in that stuff that makes it work so well????

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
Nice job out there Al,good for you!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here