News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fiorotti timer with Spin 44 Pro ESC - HELP  (Read 756 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fiorotti timer with Spin 44 Pro ESC - HELP
« on: October 05, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »
I am trying to get my new Fiorotti timer in sync with my Spin 44 Pro ESC with ZERO success.  I suspect that the ESC is not set correctly but I cannot figure out where it is wrong.  The timer starts the motor automatically which also signals that the timer is not right either.  Could be the connections are wrong.  I have searched for some setup settings but all I can find are ones for the Spin 44, not the Pro which are different.  I have seen detailed instructions for the Fiorotti but I cannot seem to find the link, all of the google searches lead to SH!  I understand he has a Web link.

Ken

Yes, I did lose the instructions that came with the timer.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Fiorotti timer with Spin 44 Pro ESC - HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »
Contact me if you want help.  We can talk through it.
Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 12:38:45 PM »
http://cltimer.com/crbst_2.html
That is going to cost me.  What is the going price on one of Ted's handles.  Now that the timer works I am going to need a new handle to fly it.  Does your little enterprise sell clips as well?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 12:41:02 PM »
THANKS - What Brent sent was what I was looking for.  I have it working, I just don't have good starting settings.  I will call if I run into a snag.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
Everything, well most, seems set OK.  I do have a couple of questions:
1. How do I know what the actual base RPM is set at.  I ran it for about 10 seconds using the "Factory" settings and it practically pulled me out of the chair.  That BadAss 3515 is what it is named!

2. Is there a way to get a gradual spin up.  I have gotten used to the slow spin up you get with a Castle/Huben setup and adjusted my takeoff style accordingly.

3. When you hit the On/Off switch with the motor running, it takes 5 seconds before it stops.  Any way to fix that?  I am used to instant off.

So far so good.  1st flights now as soon as I can get to the field.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 03:12:58 PM »
PM sent
Fred

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 03:25:51 PM »
Fred,

I have the same question on the gradual startup, is there a way  to change that?

Thanks

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 04:52:04 PM »
Tim,
I believe that is controlled by the START UP function of the ESC.  The setting comes up as Auto, and then you plus or minus.  Lower number slows the start up, so probably try a negative number.  I use the Spin non-Pro and it is a bit different in the manual. 

My understanding is that the timer allows the ESC to control that until the blinking light goes to its normal flight blink, about 8 seconds from first spin.  The ESC can ramp up in that time depending on how you set the ESC.  I didn't ask one of the other flyers who uses the Spin Pro how he set it up, but, his does slowly ramp up. 

Ken nd I discussed this and he may try changing the Auto to Auto minus/plus.  You can change the ESC start up function to Auto minus a few, and hold the plane and let it start for a few seconds to test ramp up.  10 seconds of run while holding should not harm anything, and can answer your question.  Please post here if you get a result.

If you haven't tried shutting the system off yet, you can easily do so by holding the timer start button in for a couple of seconds.  That will allow you to test as above.
Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 05:30:45 PM »
Tim,
I believe that is controlled by the START UP function of the ESC.  The setting comes up as Auto, and then you plus or minus.  Lower number slows the start up, so probably try a negative number.  I use the Spin non-Pro and it is a bit different in the manual. 

My understanding is that the timer allows the ESC to control that until the blinking light goes to its normal flight blink, about 8 seconds from first spin.  The ESC can ramp up in that time depending on how you set the ESC.  I didn't ask one of the other flyers who uses the Spin Pro how he set it up, but, his does slowly ramp up. 

Ken nd I discussed this and he may try changing the Auto to Auto minus/plus.  You can change the ESC start up function to Auto minus a few, and hold the plane and let it start for a few seconds to test ramp up.  10 seconds of run while holding should not harm anything, and can answer your question.  Please post here if you get a result.

If you haven't tried shutting the system off yet, you can easily do so by holding the timer start button in for a couple of seconds.  That will allow you to test as above.
I tried using a -3 and a -6.  Not much change.  I tried +10 which made a small change in the right direction.  The more I think about it that is the most likely setting.  I am guessing I need to go to 20-50.  Do you get used to that blinking light?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
Do you get used to that blinking light?
Ken

Used to it?  You might get to love it after you forget to change your timer flight time and the light comes on constant after 2 minutes (your test time length) and you were into your full pattern, and you know that you have 10 seconds left.  Or it comes on 180° from where you want the motor to stop to set up your landing, and you realize that a loop of varying size can use the extra half lap and stop your motor where you want.

Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »
Used to it?  You might get to love it after you forget to change your timer flight time and the light comes on constant after 2 minutes (your test time length) and you were into your full pattern, and you know that you have 10 seconds left.  Or it comes on 180° from where you want the motor to stop to set up your landing, and you realize that a loop of varying size can use the extra half lap and stop your motor where you want.
I will take your word for that.  I was sort of hoping it would stay solid till quit time then blink.  I will have actual experience watching it by this time tomorrow!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here