News:

• May 18, 2024, 03:07:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finished weight of Ultra Lite Ringmaster  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Finished weight of Ultra Lite Ringmaster
« on: September 15, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
Without engine, tank and muffler , 14 ounces

With OS LA .25 engine, muffler and tank - 24 ounces total

I also have two applications of clear coat on it.

Mike

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
Re: Finished weight of Ultra Lite Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
Very nice. H^^

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
Thank you Steve

Mike

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:20:30 AM »
Looks good Mike. Question, how does the tank mount with the landing gear in the way? I was thinking of cutting the gear down to eliminate the top mounting hole. Not a lot of room for a tank.

Offline Kevin Muckleroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Nice!
What covering and type of paint?

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »
Looks good Mike. Question, how does the tank mount with the landing gear in the way? I was thinking of cutting the gear down to eliminate the top mounting hole. Not a lot of room for a tank.

Rich I am dealing with that right now myself.  I was not smart enough to drill the holes for the landing gear before I glued the wing in so now I am having issues trying to use a hand drill to drill the holes.  I can fly off of grass so I am thinking about just leaving the gear off.  Models fly better IMHO without a gear anyway.  However that does not answer your question.  If I do decide to mount the gear I am going to cut it down like you were talking about .  There is not a lot of room for a flat duralloy gear on a Ringmaster.  I use the J hooks and rubber bands to hold the tank on so I am still trying to figure it out myself.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
Nice!
What covering and type of paint?

Kevin that wing covering is a Yellow tissue I bought from SIG years ago and I do not know if they even still carry it.  I wet it just like silkspan and covered the wing and then doped it with Butyrate Dope.  The fuselage is just white Rustoleum out of a spray can.  It does have two coats of clear polyurethane on it.

Mike

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:25:32 PM »
Motor Man, there is not enough room for front and back mount brackets. There is barely 3 1/4" for the tank. I will probably use hooks like  Mike is using or maybe top and bottom tank straps. I'm going to try a 3 oz. chicken hopper tank from RSM.
Mike I,ve been doing a lot of pre drilling lay out, that's how I found out the interference with the landing gear. Are you using a tongue muffler or the stock o.s. muffler?

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 06:45:23 PM »
Rich I am going to use the stock muffler that came with the engine.  Here is what I did.  The top part of the flat aluminum gear is up high enough that the heads of the 4-40 bolts holding it on are up under the back of the tank.  Since I am using the J hooks and rubber bands to hold the tank on, what I did was put about a half inch thick piece of foam under the tank and it formed a cushion over the heads of the bolts and the tank is held level from the pressure of the rubber bands.   I always put a piece of foam behind my tanks when using this kind of set up anyway so all I did was double the thickness of the foam and the tank just sinks down into the foam.  I hope that makes sense.

PS  I am using RSM  GRW300U  snub nose tank which is a 3 ounce tank and is 2 1/4" Long.  SInce I do not fly constests anymore I do not worry about run times and just fly until I run out of fuel.

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 07:23:19 AM »
That makes a lot of sense Mike. I also use foam under the tank to reduce vibration. never thought fo doubling the foam. That is a good idea.

Rich

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
This thread made me curious.
I knew I had a pretty light completely stock Ringmaster built from an original kit back in 1978. I still have it in my shop  and just weighed it.
No motor, no tank, no gear, it weighs 14 ounces.

Curt

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »
This thread made me curious.
I knew I had a pretty light completely stock Ringmaster built from an original kit back in 1978. I still have it in my shop  and just weighed it.
No motor, no tank, no gear, it weighs 14 ounces.

Curt

That is excellent for a kit that old. 

Mike

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:48 PM »
Rich I am going to use the stock muffler that came with the engine.  Here is what I did.  The top part of the flat aluminum gear is up high enough that the heads of the 4-40 bolts holding it on are up under the back of the tank.  Since I am using the J hooks and rubber bands to hold the tank on, what I did was put about a half inch thick piece of foam under the tank and it formed a cushion over the heads of the bolts and the tank is held level from the pressure of the rubber bands.   I always put a piece of foam behind my tanks when using this kind of set up anyway so all I did was double the thickness of the foam and the tank just sinks down into the foam.  I hope that makes sense.

PS  I am using RSM  GRW300U  snub nose tank which is a 3 ounce tank and is 2 1/4" Long.  SInce I do not fly constests anymore I do not worry about run times and just fly until I run out of fuel.
Mike, I'd like to suggest that your 3 oz tank might be a bit much for that 25. I have a 3.3oz on my Shoestring Stunter with a Fox 35. Once just to see how long it would fly I think I got 106 laps out of it. If room is an issue perhaps a 2.5oz tank would help.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
Anyone know what an ultralite ringmaster converted for electric would weigh in at ?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
IF one was to use countersunk flathead screws on the outboard LG strut, it would be a simple matter to shim the back of the tank outward. Since that's a good practice anyway, that would be my plan.

I wouldn't call 24 oz "Ultra Light". Emil Kovak built a bunch of Ringmasters for OTS comps quite a few years ago. His lightest were 15 oz with a .15FP, and they were said to fly the best in calm conditions. For more typical contest conditions, he liked 20 oz with a .25FP. I don't think the .21FP had been discovered at that time. This suggests that Mike's new plane should be a delightful flying plane (for a Ringmaster!).  S?P Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »
IF one was to use countersunk flathead screws on the outboard LG strut, it would be a simple matter to shim the back of the tank outward. Since that's a good practice anyway, that would be my plan.

I wouldn't call 24 oz "Ultra Light". Emil Kovak built a bunch of Ringmasters for OTS comps quite a few years ago. His lightest were 15 oz with a .15FP, and they were said to fly the best in calm conditions. For more typical contest conditions, he liked 20 oz with a .25FP. I don't think the .21FP had been discovered at that time. This suggests that Mike's new plane should be a delightful flying plane (for a Ringmaster!).  S?P Steve

Hi Steve

I will let you know after this weekend.  I plan to put it in the air for the fly a thon.

Mike

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »
If anyone needs to know how much a Ringmaster should weigh.........
well, they should ask Joe Gilbert how much his weighs.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here