News:

• April 23, 2024, 10:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding old friends  (Read 927 times)

Offline bruce malm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Finding old friends
« on: August 29, 2006, 11:19:43 AM »
While browsing another site I saw a message from DONOLDDO@aol.com.  It sounded like my old friend Don Shultz who I hadn't seen about 1969. I sent him an e-mail and shortly got a reply. I called him and spent a fair amount of  time reminiscing about our adventures with Mike Potter, George Lieb, Ron Duly and a few others. I tried to reach him a few years ago after hearing from Mike, but I guess the contact info was old. Don , "SMOTZE" as I new him, sounded the same as 40 years ago. He is into Kites now but still has a stunter he flies a few times a year. I still remember when he first showed up to Kiwanis Park to fly his Baby Blue Nobler. It took a while to convince to learn the pattern and compete. I was really glad to see he went on to greater things after I headed south to CA in 1965, on to Viet Nam, Etc.
This is another of good things that has come out of the internet.
I hope I can see him again next time I'm up in the northwest.

Just thought I would pass on his new e-mail address. I' sure he would love to hear from his other flying buddies.

I finally got out to the Contest in Woodland and got to see Phil Granderson again. Last time was about 1970>71 at Wittier Narrows with a combat plane. Sure is nice to see some familiar faces again.

Bruce Malm / Wackydaddy

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
Re: Finding old friends
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:18:16 PM »
Update,

I sent a joke on to Smotze and he replied he noticed the contest at Sandpoint on the 10th. He said he would try to get there with his plane and try to borrow a tank of fuel and a fresh battery for a flight.

Please say Hi for me if he shows up and I will gladly re-imburse anybody for any fuel provided.

Bruce

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
Bruce...Thanks for posting Schultzie's email address.  I sent him the contest flyer in .pdf and .doc formats, so he now has all the info I do, and I'm CD. And he replied, and didn't seem PO'd, so I think we'll see him there.

Where are you? Where do you know Don and Pottersan from?  n~  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 05:09:49 PM »
my problem is most of my friends are older than I am!!
phil Cartier

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:02:18 PM »
Steve,

I flew with Mike and Smotzie back in the 60s. Mike and I were into carrier, rat race, stunt and combat. Mike and I flew carrier and rat at the 1964 or 65 Northwest champion ships. We whipped all classes with 1 engine, a Fox 36 BB an 2 airplanes built on a Harter's Royal Rodent pan with my design. Mike flew and I pitted. As I remember the closest person was 2 minutes behind on the plane listed under my name and 1 minute on Mike's. We had an extra pit stop for Mikes do to a smaller tank. Mike had never flown Rat with 3 other guys and we actually lost 10 laps  for flying to high because he was passing everybody so fast.

Smotzie showed up at Kiwanis park one day with his Baby Blue Nobler. We became great friends and I finally convinced him to learn the pattern. When I moved to CA in July of 1965, I sold him the plane I had from George Lieb, another good friend and flying buddy. I think he won several contests with that plane. George called it the Cirrus.

Mike got a hold of me a few years ago and I was able to help him with one carrier contest. I did sneak into one of your meetings, I believe it was last year but it was late when I got there and  everybody was tired and heading home. Wish I had been able to spend more time visiting.
Sure hope to see everybody in the future.

Say Hi to Mike and Smotzie for me.

Bruce

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here