News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:35:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FIERCE ARROW 875  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
FIERCE ARROW 875
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of Wild Bill's last Arrow design? Also what engine did he use in it? This is his last version, not the 1957 0r 400 versions.

I have a kit for the 875 model from RSM. I've built two 57 versions in the past (still have one) and I want to build one more (last version).

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Online pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: FIERCE ARROW 875
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »
There are some  pictures and  details in this thread:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/brodak-day-one/msg261329/#msg261329
MAAC 8177

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:20:43 PM »
Thanks Pat, I hadn't seen that thread before. However, the FA 875 is a different beast altogether. The plans for it were never published to my knowledge but Eric at RSM offered a kit for it, which I have. I had a picture of the 875 version at one time but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Internet. IIRC it had a basically all yellow paint job. The comments I remember reading said it was Bill's best flying version of the series.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
There was a FA published in MA sometime in the '80's or maybe early '90's. The article was done by Bob Baron, and if I recall correctly, the model was about 1145 sq. in. and was powered by a .45 FSR. I thought it would be cool, until I realized how much sheet balsa the ribs would soak up. That was about the time when cryogenic freighters were using up most of the balsa.   :( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of Wild Bill's last Arrow design? Also what engine did he use in it? This is his last version, not the 1957 0r 400 versions.

I have a kit for the 875 model from RSM. I've built two 57 versions in the past (still have one) and I want to build one more (last version).

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
This one lives in Regina.
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:58:51 AM »
FWIW...

Bill was redesigning the Fierce Arrow late into his life and engaging other modelers to build some versions. I think at least one builder is still on this forum. I took some pictures at VSC 14, back in 2002 or 2003 of one such plane, but don't really have time now to search for it. However, he was sending out a newsletter to interested modelers, and I think I received the last couple he sent. Below is a very low resolution set of photos scanned from a page. I don't know how useful they would be, but I include them below. The "875" version is shown last. Bill was very aware of the shortcomings of the rearward- swept, delta concept, but knew that it had it's own charms. When I asked him why he had not changed it to a certain more advantageous configuration, he replied simply, "Then it wouldn't be a 'Fierce Arrow.' "

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »
Thanks Serge. That's the 875 picture I somehow misplaced. Here's a picture of the 875 nose section. Also my 57 version that is now 30 years old and will fly again this coming summer.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
FWIW...

Bill was redesigning the Fierce Arrow late into his life and engaging other modelers to build some versions. I think at least one builder is still on this forum. I took some pictures at VSC 14, back in 2002 or 2003 of one such plane, but don't really have time now to search for it. However, he was sending out a newsletter to interested modelers, and I think I received the last couple he sent. Below is a very low resolution set of photos scanned from a page. I don't know how useful they would be, but I include them below. The "875" version is shown last. Bill was very aware of the shortcomings of the rearward- swept, delta concept, but knew that it had it's own charms. When I asked him why he had not changed it to a certain more advantageous configuration, he replied simply, "Then it wouldn't be a 'Fierce Arrow.' "

That last picture reminds me strongly of Mikey Pratt's "Delta Force" with a different paint scheme. They look very cool, but I still can visualize Don McClave's FA/Fox .35 stunt free flighting across the top of the circle in wingovers and OH8's. They need power to match the wing area, I'm thinkin'.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »
Steve you are correct. My first Arrow had a Johnson Stunt Supreme .35. It seemed to do the job back then for my skill level at the time.
My second arrow had a Tom Dixon Modded K&B .40 and it sure was much better than any Fox .35. I don't know what I'll put in this one but I have a Wiley .40 stunt and a Silver Fox ST .51 laying around  as well as a LA .46.

I still can visualize Don McClave's FA/Fox .35 stunt free flighting across the top of the circle in wingovers and OH8's. They need power to match the wing area, I'm thinkin'.  y1 Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »
   I have Mike Gretz's Fierce Arrow with a Fox .35 in the nose. It had not been flown in years so have had to deal with issues with the built in tank. I have been able to put a few patterns on it, and the Fox.35 with a Top Flite 10-6 butter knife blade prop and 5% fuel and it did a lot better than I expected. Pretty decent in fact for 50 ounces. When the weather went bad I was still working on getting some rust and gunk out of the tank, but was making good progress and will try again in the spring. Someone had a RSM kit for sale in the classifieds and I wanted to grab it but just not the right time yet. I have plans for the 400 version, which is better sized for a small car! I hope to get to that soon plus the 1/2A version that was in Flying Models in 2001 I think. I won't go the 800 plus size though! No room in the hanger for that!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »
This one lives in Regina.
G

Great looking example Gordon, what engine? Any finished RTF photos?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:45:30 AM »
 In the early 1970's I built a FA and flew it with several different motors. It was OK but not a wonderful plane. I posted pictures on here years ago. About five years ago a modeler from South Carolina called me and asked if I would fly his large oversize FA . We met at the Huntersville field. He said someone at Brodak had flown it and it was OK to fly. It had a lot of problems we worked on before the flight. It had a ST/60 Blue Head it it and the model was very heavy. I new this was going to be a hand full to fly. I flew it and landed it OK but would not fly it again as it was unsafe as it was so far out of trim and the pull made it unsafe for any lines. It turned in at me in every stunt. I have flown a lot of big heavy models for people but this model was not safe to fly as it was at that time. It did most of the pattern but I had to be very careful as it would get loose. 
 I have seen a lot of FA's over the years and it is a fun plane to watch and fly. It presents odd in the circle compared to a conventional stunt plane and so you will be at a disadvantage in a contest.     Just my impressions on a fine old model.
Ed
NOTE The FA was built by Josh Harel and it was 1600 Sq"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:33:16 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »
It sure is a fun plane to fly and the planform looks impressive flying, IMHO. Mine does the whole pattern but it doesn't turn sharp corners. I fly it on 65' lines. Perhaps a little C/G change could improve that? Here's my first one:

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 11:57:33 PM »
Great looking example Gordon, what engine? Any finished RTF photos?

Not mine, Doug Moisuk built it, haven't heard if he has flown it yet.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Online Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
Not mine, Doug Moisuk built it, haven't heard if he has flown it yet.

Yes it is mine. ST-.46
Haven't flown it yet.
Sig Dope
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Online Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 01:03:24 PM »
The business end.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
Very nice work Doug. I got mine covered today with Polyspan, including the tips.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
Yes it is mine. ST-.46
Haven't flown it yet.
Sig Dope

Wow. I thought the paint scheme on the top was cool, but the bottom is even more wonderful.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:41:54 PM »
Paul mentioned a little about your new plane yesterday at the meeting. It sure is a looker. And truth be told, ever since the first day we met, and you flew the one pictured above, I have always wanted to have one.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »
And truth be told, ever since the first day we met, and you flew the one pictured above, I have always wanted to have one.

Chancey, plans for a 1/2A version of the 57 Fierce Arrow are available. This should be "right up your alley". We have the plan and article for it.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
Dennis,
Great looking ships. What trim changes have you try to improve the cornering? Wings are really cool but have always seemed to have the corner issue. Since the corners definition doesn't have the 5ft radius and today there is more emphasis on shape than hard corner maybe the FA will be more competitive.

Maybe Bret/Howard/Ted could jump in and give some suggestions for modern trim technics to get the FA in the zone.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
Very nice work Doug. I got mine covered today with Polyspan, including the tips.

You are right about doing the tips with Polyspan. With practice its fairly easy with no wrinkles.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 05:24:34 PM »
Thanks Dennis. I just may take you up on that one after the Ringmaster is finished.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 01:51:56 AM »
Dennis,
Great looking ships. What trim changes have you try to improve the cornering? Wings are really cool but have always seemed to have the corner issue. Since the corners definition doesn't have the 5ft radius and today there is more emphasis on shape than hard corner maybe the FA will be more competitive.

Maybe Bret/Howard/Ted could jump in and give some suggestions for modern trim technics to get the FA in the zone.

I am not sure where you get the first bit - the change in definition is effectively the same as changing the corner radius requirement to zero. 0 or 5, it's impossible either way. So, if anything, cornering is weighted more. That had nearly no effect, because that's what the really competitive guys were doing before, anyway.

I was studiously avoiding this thread, because despite all evidence to the contrary, I actually don't like being a buzzkill all the time. But since you asked....

Unfortunately, aside from the usual roll/yaw trim (and it has *very light* yaw damping), I don't think anything simple can fix the lack of cornering. It's more-or-less baked into the design. The crux of the issue is that, to generate a positive pitch rate, you have to camber the wing *the wrong way*. Basically, you are always trying to do outside loops in a Piper Cub (actually, much worse). The short coupling causes you to need to have a lot of elevator movement, and the more you move it, the more camber you have, and it's always working against you. I have flown a few of the originals (although not Bill's, nor the one you are building here) and it definitely showed the effect, more-or-less pointing the nose the wrong direction  - pointing the nose up and translating "down" on small amounts of "up" elevator, then finally going the right direction as you panicked and deflected it more. I found it extremely unnerving to fly, because it was close to having effective control reversal on small corrections.

This one seems to show some evolution. Making the aspect ratio even lower increases the "tail moment", while minimizing the camber increase (since the same deflection of the narrower elevator has less negative effects on the camber, just because the chord is longer. I am sure that the wider tips are there to permit you to put the leadouts in the tip, rather than about 3/4 out the leading edge, which is where it really needed to be on the original 35-sized version.

This is particularly true if you just hinge the elevator to the TE of the wing. Bill, naturally, understood the problem with it as well or better than anyone. Later versions of the original Fierce Arrow, and Bob Baron's gigantic 45FSR version, had an offset hinge line with the effect of causing a slot to open when the elevator deflected, with the net effect of turning it into a very very short-coupled combat wing. The tail moment is about 3/4"! That improved it, but it's never going to be a world-beater.

It's a neat idea, but the best assessment I ever heard was at some Northwest Regionals, after Ted test-flew someone's FA (original) - "Thanks for letting me fly that, because it saved me the 3 months I was going to take to build one".

Enjoy it for what it is, learn something pretty important about aircraft design, but don't expect to blow anyone out of the water in a big contest.

Brett

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
Brett's analysis is right on (of course), and Bill did understand the limitations of his FA configuration. As I posted earlier, when I talked to him about his design variations, asking essentially why he didn't reverse the sweep (like Red Reinhardt's) to get a longer "tail" arm, he said that he was trying just to improve things within the original concept, because "Then (otherwise) it wouldn't be a 'Fierce Arrow.' " In addition to the "Stuntwing," I like The Adamisin's and Jim Thomerson's wings too. Still, I can't deny the period appeal of the "Fierce Arrow." Here's a variant by Roger Strickler of Akron, displayed in 2012 at our contest.

Online Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »
So this is a question I've had for several years.
Why did Wild Bill put a, what I will call, a flying elevator on the FA-400?
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 06:03:21 PM »
So this is a question I've had for several years.
Why did Wild Bill put a, what I will call, a flying elevator on the FA-400?

From above:

This is particularly true if you just hinge the elevator to the TE of the wing. Bill, naturally, understood the problem with it as well or better than anyone. Later versions of the original Fierce Arrow, and Bob Baron's gigantic 45FSR version, had an offset hinge line with the effect of causing a slot to open when the elevator deflected, with the net effect of turning it into a very very short-coupled combat wing. The tail moment is about 3/4"! That improved it, but it's never going to be a world-beater.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 07:42:06 PM »
I saw Wild Bill win a really big contest in Wichita in 1962 with a small Fierce Arrow. He won carrier and rat race at the same contest. It must have been his finest hour.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
  From above:
[/quote

I suspected that and put that on my big FA. We will see what happens when I get around to flying it.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here