News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Field Box  (Read 1837 times)

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Field Box
« on: March 04, 2018, 06:08:15 AM »
I would like to build a new field box the box I have I picked up used is in bad shape I think it's a Hobico. Looking for some design ideas others may have come up with. Can't find anything here.

Online Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Re: Field Box
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 06:50:26 AM »
Hello Steve
                         This is what I did.
                                                                Juan

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
Hello Steve
                         This is what I did.
                                                                Juan

That is an awesome box. Workmanship is excellent. Can you re-post the first picture (a little larger) with some measurements added? This would make a great project and field box.

George ALbo
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »
Hello
The main priority of a field box for me is I can sit on it as the legs and back ache at the flying field. Swapped from my beautifully made wooden flight box (made by NZ Navy apprentices in the early 1980's) to rainproof Rubbermaid chilly bins and plastic Kerker tool boxes. Problem is someone is always sitting on them when I wish to get anything out of them.  ???

Regards Gerald :)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
Several in our club use the Stanley wheeled tool box.  Fuel goes in bottom rest in top.  Comes apart (top and bottom half) for easy loading in to trunk or van,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-11-5-in-Black-Plastic-Lockable-Wheeled-Tool-Box/50201639

John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »
Juan,  Gives me some ideas, what did you paint it with?

John, Can't beat the Lowes price I'd have that in materials to build one. Can you tell me is the box tippy?

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »
Yes, my box like that will not stay standing on rough ground.   Besides does he want a tool box or pit box?   Mine is patterned after the Tower Hobbies unit that I made myself.  Thought I had a picture of it refinishing last year, but looks like I may have to take a picture after it been used quite a bit this year. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
  There have been two recent threads about this, here is one. It includes a picture of what I use for a starter box;
   https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/sig-mfg-49203/msg509418/#msg509418

And another that featured Jim Lee's Plano model 737. I'll have to find that one and repost a link.
  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/field-support-box/msg509475/#msg509475

Do a search on this and you can spend hours going back to the origin of the forum! I would like to see a plan for what Mr. Valetin posted photos of! I like that a lot.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
Hello all
                    I will be posting a small drawing with measurements of the field box. I think I painted it rustoleum spray paints then I finished with polyurethane clear to protect the graphics and the paint from the fuel. here are some more pics.

Online Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »
Hello George
          here is big picture of the first photo. measurement will post at a later date with drawing.
                                                                                                                                                            juan

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »
Hello George
          here is big picture of the first photo. measurement will post at a later date with drawing.
                                                                                                                                                            juan

cool!

Online Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 10:47:57 AM »
Hello George
        Here is a simple drawing if you have any question please let me know. I didn`t draw the shelves as you can place them as it suits you. I did not make place for a power panel,starter or tools as all I wanted to carry was the fuel,battery for glow plug,chicken stick,lines and a handle. The door in the box I made out of 1/16 plywood with a 1/4 inch square spruce frame. I made it small to fit the back seat floor area in my 2017 Toyota Corolla. I can only fit one plane in the trunk an another in the back seat when I go flying.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Juan

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
I found a good replacement field box at the Cabela's web site. It's a Flambeau tackle box that holds more than you need at the field and only costs $25.00
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »
Hello George
        Here is a simple drawing if you have any question please let me know. I didn`t draw the shelves as you can place them as it suits you. I did not make place for a power panel,starter or tools as all I wanted to carry was the fuel,battery for glow plug,chicken stick,lines and a handle. The door in the box I made out of 1/16 plywood with a 1/4 inch square spruce frame. I made it small to fit the back seat floor area in my 2017 Toyota Corolla. I can only fit one plane in the trunk an another in the back seat when I go flying.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Juan

Thanks, that's real nice!
George

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »
Several weeks back I searched around for ideas to replace my broken down Hobbico Field Box. I came up with the following, it turned out a bit larger than the old box but I have only one box to carry.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here