News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fellowship at Brodak's 2018  (Read 1713 times)

Offline goozgog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fellowship at Brodak's 2018
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:43:08 AM »
  Back from Brodak's 2018, sun burned and happy.
This was my tenth Brodak's and I am realizing that
it is more than just a contest. The people who make
the trip are there for all of the right reasons.
The competition is serious but I am surrounded by
good friends who truly want me to fly well.

Thanks to John and Buzz Brodak for letting us
destroy their lawn,  .... again.
  Thanks to Mark Weiss and Will Davis and Rick Huff
for their endless patience and long hours.
  Thanks to all the participants for generating an
atmosphere of fun and endeavor. It's magic.

The bigger they are , the bigger they are!
Thanks to Joe Gilbert ,Doug, and George Waters
for helping me with my misbehaving engine. (wrong fuel)
I'll be cheering for Joe when he visits France.
  Thanks to Dan Banjock for his amazing patience
as I couldn't keep his racers out on tight lines.
I enjoyed every second of racing.
   Thanks to John Paris, Bob Zambelli, Vinny, Joe,
Gerry, Bernie, Colleen, Tom, and the Smith Brothers,
and everyone I'm forgetting.

Wow!
Keith Morgan

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fellowship at Brodak's 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:04:17 AM »
I just got home from Brodaks and I share all of your thoughts .Brodaks is the best. Big thank you John Saunders who repaired my damaged Shark after it attacked me. I'm still freaked out by that situation. Philly Skip

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »
I just got home from Brodaks and I share all of your thoughts .Brodaks is the best. Big thank you John Saunders who repaired my damaged Shark after it attacked me. I'm still freaked out by that situation. Philly Skip

CNN news is reporting an increase in shark attacks this year.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »
This is my 21st of the 22 Brodak Annual Family reunions! In 2016 I received an attendance award for having NEVER missed one of these marvelous events! Sondra and I were all set to go last year when I learned what happens when one's heart ceases to function correctly! We had to cancel our reservations so that some generous pig could donate one of his/her heart valves to give mine a new aortic valve! Well we got to go again this year and had loads of fun both flying and Judging! The annual Banquet was superb! John and Buzz Brodak once again out did themselves in providing our every need they even had air-conditioned, running water toilets on site for both men and women!

Judging with Keith Morgan for OTS ADVANCE was a hoot! I also enjoyed Judging Expert PA with Rich Peabody. Watching Chris Rudd do his pattern after having arrived around 1:00 AM on Saturday morning was indeed a treat. He Joe Gilbert, MS Samantha Heins were all in attendance at the FlyIn. We the USA will be well represented at the World's this summer. Chris only had one chance to score at this meet but that was enough to win the thing! Best wishes to all of our team members as they travel to France this summer.

None of know how long we have to enjoy this thing called life! You as a Control Line Model enthusiast owe it to your selves to get to the FlyIn at least once in your allotted time here on Earth to get to the FlyIn. I've been to the Nat's. several times both as a competitor and a spectator and the FlyIn is far superior in total fun factor!

Phil Spillman     
Phil Spillman

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
Phil,

A very nice commentary on the event, its history and the generous spirit of the Brodaks.  Glad to hear your heart procedure was effective and hope you get to enjoy many more.

Ted

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »

None of know how long we have to enjoy this thing called life! You as a Control Line Model enthusiast owe it to your selves to get to the FlyIn at least once in your allotted time here on Earth to get to the FlyIn. I've been to the Nat's. several times both as a competitor and a spectator and the FlyIn is far superior in total fun factor!

Phil Spillman   

I quite agree.   Brodak, VCS and One more Nats make up the modeling part of my personal "bucket list".  I had to take the Walker Cup off of the list when I found out after 35 years in the wilderness that the overhead 8 was still part of the pattern.  My wife thinks I am crazy and perhaps she is right, but it sure is fun being crazy!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
I totally agree with Keith.

No doubt that the Fly-In has to be one of the most enjoyable model aviation events ever. A great bunch of people, lots of fun flying from high-end stunters to jets – something for everyone.

It’s also impressive to see how many families show up and enjoy the sport together. Many visit not to fly but to enjoy seeing friends that they only encounter at the yearly event.

The monumental effort the John and Buzz put forth shows their dedication both to their friends and the sport itself.

The Friday evening buffet is a treat for all – sadly, due to personal issues, I had to leave early. I missed it for the first time ever.

Also, known only to a select few, the dining hall at the American Legion! For minimal cost you can dine on such gourmet treats as hamburgers, pizza, chicken wings, tacos and other healthy delights. And of course, a fine selection of beers!

The Fly-In is truly an event that every control line flyer should see at least once in their lifetime – it’s never been and never will be a disappointment.

Thank again to John and Buzz for saving control line flying.

Bob Z.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
Keith and All,
Foremost a big thanks needs to go out to John and Buzz for allowing the use of their yard again this year.  Next is another round of thanks to the support staff for keeping the grass mowed (this happened every morning starting at 0600), our stomachs full and for tabulating and posting the scores.  The judges cannot be forgotten for watching every one of the flights happen and assigning a number to each maneuver so that a score could be posted.

Keith has the title right as a big part of the Brodak event is fellowship.  Seeing people that you may not have seen for a year or meeting new people as well as their families.  Telling stories, reviewing the past, talking about future plans or just helping each other out for an official or a practice flight are all great ways for us to interact with each other.  I particularly enjoyed sitting with a few other pilots forming a "heckler section" much like the one seen on the Muppet Show years ago.  Reviewing maneuvers while watching the flights was a great way to pass the time. 

Already have my plans to be there for next year.  I think I can get another year out of the old tent if needed. 

John
John Paris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here