News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancher style handles  (Read 5720 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fancher style handles
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »
Is any one still making the Fancher style handles?
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline eric rule

• Commander
Re: Fancher style handles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
Not sure. I used to supply the laser cut balsa parts for the Fancher Handle to Carl. Since Carl passed no one has contacted me to acquire these parts. If anyone out there wants to take up task of making these handles I am willing to provide the laser cut parts.

Eric

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »
How about a kit for the Paul Walker handle instead? About half the weight, fewer parts to make and keep in inventory, no hardware to speak of, etc. Is CF plate best laser cut or water jetted? IDK.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »
I have made some copies of the Fancher handles.   Drew up the handle and metal parts in CAD.  Laser cut the balsa and plywood.  Sent one off to Ted Fancher for his thoughts.

I am working on finding a vendor that can provide the laser cut steel parts.  I had 100 pieces of the metal parts laser cut for me in China that are slightly undersize (-.007") The differences in thickness is due to the metric China vs USA steel. 

The metal parts, made in the USA, from the proper thickness steel material are 5-6 times more expensive.  I would love to get these Ted handles back on the market.  Any good ideas on a company that can laser cut steel at a reasonable rate?  Most of the shops I get quotes from are very expensive...

Brent.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:01:43 PM »
How about a kit for the Paul Walker handle instead? About half the weight, fewer parts to make and keep in inventory, no hardware to speak of, etc. Is CF plate best laser cut or water jetted? IDK.  D>K Steve

Find a shop that does both and ask.  They'll have no dog in the fight.

I bet that laser cutting CF stinks to high heaven.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
IIRC, the "steel" parts of the Fancher handle kits are stainless steel. Heavier, more expensive, more difficult to machine...but also tough, wear and rust resistant.

I believe Eric already has bellcranks made from CF plate by waterjetting. Could be wrong, according to future ex-wife.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
Generally, laser cutting CF does not work due to the impregnated epoxy in the CF.
The laser heats it up and it begins to melt leading to a 'cut' that is not precise.
I tried this about 10 years ago, though, so it may be possible due to advancements
in technology that there is some way to do it now.

Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »
My opinion on both would be to water jet cut them, both the stainless parts for Fancher handles and the Walker CF handles. Water jet is typically less expensive.
as to parts being undersized, that is pretty common unless you deal with a company that understands you are a hobbyist and not a proffesional. BOth cutting methods have a Kerf and will make the part undersized. When I have Pat laser cut my parts I have to offset the lind .03 " to compensate for the kerf,, ( I thinkits .03") I would have to check my notes
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »
I have a large piece of 3/32 circuit board material that I have been using for motor pads.   Will that work for metal parts. will it need bushings added to it or is it strong enough to work with out some sort of bushing at the line clip hole. The stuff is tough and eats up bladed when cutting it. ~^
Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
    When I asked this question I forgot Tom Morris is still making the unbiased Fancher style handle. The picture at  Stunthangar hobby  shown is a cable handle but that is the wrong picture. A friend has been using them for years with on problems.
   I will try one made from the circuit board material. ::)
Ed

ADDED Here is a picture of the Tom Morris handle. I ordered two and had then in just a few days. They are light and will be a lot lighter when they are sanded down to fit my small hand. He leaves the material there so you can fit them to your hand. Good buy at $25
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:28:03 PM by EddyR »

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:26:05 PM »

Uhhhh....Not totally sure about this but I believe Randy Smith is making The Walker Handle!  Check with him to be sure.  Some times I have trouble remembering my own name!   LL~ LL~ HB~>

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
Chris Cox  and Alan Resinger are making a version of the Walker CF handle as well
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »
Chris and Alan make the PW handles that Randy sells, FYI. Their fellow VGMC stunt grunt Arkady makes the CF cores...apparently CNC milled. I suspect a water jet would be less expensive, although I'm certain that Arkady mills them in a stack. That may not be possible with a water jet, but I don't know much about water jetting.  D>K Steve 

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
NOt in my experience Steve, waterjetting a stack of anything is a bad idea, the water cam displace and go between the layers
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »
Tom Morris handle

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »
Tom Morris handle

Eddy-
Is the metal in the above Tom Morris handle centered between the plywood layers? Any chance of getting a glimpse of the flip side?
Thanks in advance!

Vr,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
Here are the two sizes of the laser cut Precision Pro style, hard point handle kit that I sell.

The inner grip dimension on the larger version is 3.5". 
The inner grip dimension on the smaller version is 3".

5 pieces of wood make up the handle: 1/4" balsa - 1/8" ply - 1/16" ply - 1/8" ply - 1/4" balsa
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
Here are the two sizes of the laser cut Precision Pro style, hard point handle kit that I sell.

The inner grip dimension on the larger version is 3.5". 
The inner grip dimension on the smaller version is 3".

5 pieces of wood make up the handle: 1/4" balsa - 1/8" ply - 1/16" ply - 1/8" ply - 1/4" balsa

Do they have the steel parts (cant see them in the pictures shown)?
How much do they cost?
How do we order them?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
I get the metal parts for my handle from Laser Tech  chuck@lasertech911.com
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
Chris and Alan make the PW handles that Randy sells, FYI. Their fellow VGMC stunt grunt Arkady makes the CF cores...apparently CNC milled. I suspect a water jet would be less expensive, although I'm certain that Arkady mills them in a stack. That may not be possible with a water jet, but I don't know much about water jetting.  D>K Steve

That is correct, and  I have  stock of the  CF Walker design handles at most all times,  Plus  I carry  the  MNT  cable (excellent)  and  fully adjustable Hard Point MNT  handle, and  Brodak  HP handles,

Randy

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »
The Smith Bros sell the Walker style handle.
Very light and well built.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »
Do they have the steel parts (cant see them in the pictures shown)?
How much do they cost?
How do we order them?

Yes, it is a full kit that includes the laser cut wood parts, steel brackets, blind nuts, washers, 4-40 bolts, 2 line clips and a safety thong.
I have kept the price of the handle kits at $25.00 plus shipping.

PayPal or money order.  PM if interested.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »
The Smith Bros sell the Walker style handle.
Very light and well built.
Which Smith Bros?
I did an internet search,  found smith brothers hobby center in Reseda, CA.  I checked with them,  they only have the brodak handles they said. Just an fyi.
Maybe im looking in the wrong place.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
Which Smith Bros?
I did an internet search,  found smith brothers hobby center in Reseda, CA.  I checked with them,  they only have the brodak handles they said. Just an fyi.
Maybe im looking in the wrong place.

Mr. Target...Look at this thread from last January!  H^^ Steve >

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/new-featherweight-high-performance-handles-here-45487/msg473132/#msg473132

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
I figured i was barking up the wrong tree....
Funny thing is that they actually have some u-control stuff at that shop, and i think the son of the Big Job ots designer works there,  so i thought that maybe....
Thanks for taking the time to post the link. It's appreciated.
Since i want to buy 3 of the same handles, that is more than i would like to spend. So i think it's down to either the Tom Morris or Brents handles above for me.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Or you could buy my low overhang exponential handle kits. $27.50 each plus shipping. Since you fly at Whittier Narrows, and I will be there tomorrow, no shipping!  R%%%%

You flew with one and kind of liked it. And it gets more comfortable the more you use it.

I have sold over 50 so far, perhaps the current users will chime in with their experience?  ;D

My own take is that expo is the only game in town for me.  #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 09:48:32 PM »
Larry-
How much is shipping?
Just Kidding....Thanks for the offer. Not sure if I'll ever be able to fly better or as good as you do, even if the handle was battery operated....
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Hey the handle works.  If finances were in better shape I would have one for each of my planes.   Sure made a difference in the handling of my Ringmaster Imperial and King Sweep. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here