News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fall Follies  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Fall Follies
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »
Well, the Fall Follies in Salem, Oregon is this weekend and I won't be there. Man, this has just not been my year. I have a conflict I can't get out of.

Hope others make it. It's a super fun contest and well run by Mike Hazel and John Thompson.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fall Follies
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
Don't feel bad.  Wait until your physical health south and then when you are about able to get going again you have a so called granddaughter that says she need my vehicle.  I was out one time to use the new center pad and have not flown since.  But at least I know what is causing the knee and leg problems.   Doctor say I'm too old for surgery because of blood clots or inflammation happening.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 05:18:57 PM »
I'll be there, but I'll be judging.  I may take the Twister and fly profile if JT doesn't need me for that one, but that'll be it.

The Atlantis had tank problems.  I'm getting tired of running muffled, and didn't want to convert to piped, so I decided that it has "not an electric" problem and am proceeding accordingly.  But - commitments.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
Well, the Fall Follies in Salem, Oregon is this weekend and I won't be there.

Aw, shucks.  That contest has been hard on your airplanes anyhow.  We hope to see you at the Golden State then. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »
I'm planning to be there, but...will have to see if I drive the Chebby Silveradoo or Mr. Hertz' GMC Travesty (?). Which will be determined by how long the body shop takes getting the front of my truck repaired in the aftermath of T-boning that red light running, not stopping asswipe,  on the Saturday evening on the way home from the RF Stevenson Memorial Roundup stunt contest (Howard Rush, CD).

The good news, however, is State Farm says this will be only $300 deductible not $500 (*due to being on the "uninsured motorist" part of my coverage)  and they'll pay 100% of the rental car, instead of the 80% they initially stated, for the same *reason. YAAAAY!  (051)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »
... Which will be determined by how long the body shop takes getting the front of my truck repaired in the aftermath of T-boning that red light running, not stopping asswipe...

Well, at least you T-boned them -- if they'd nailed you in the door at speed it'd probably be way more damage.

(A friend of my dad's was a cop.  Several decades ago he was parked by a busy intersection (SE 122nd, for Portlanders) and saw one of those about to happen.  So he just stuck his mic out the window and keyed it for the "screeeeeee - BANG".  The dispatcher responded with "would the unit at the scene of the injury accident please identify and give your position...")
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
The weather is supposed to be great.  Saturday 65° and Sunday 70° with winds to about 7mph both days.  The circle cracks are repaired and sealed, and the grass around freshly mowed.  Hope to see you there.
Fred

Online Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 09:04:29 PM »
Hey,  where are the rest of you no-show bums????

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 11:09:30 PM »
Hey,  where are the rest of you no-show bums?????
how can I bee a no show bum if I show up?

seriously, I regret missing this year, its one of my favorite contests! ( even though Salem is hard on my airplanes)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 12:21:57 PM »
The commute is too far from here!

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 05:13:08 PM »
Many thanks to those few of you who did come, and to the people who made it happen:
Stunt judges Bruce Hunt (who also served as a racing timer), Tim Wescott (who also judged a combat event), Dave Royer, John Leidle, Jerry Eichten, Combat ED Gene Pape, Registrar/tabulator Barbara White, Pit Boss Mike Denlis, and Chef, CD and Combat judge Mike Hazel (Mr. Do Everything).   I'm sure I forgot to thank somebody.)  It was a great contest, sorry that most of you missed it.

Report to come on Flying Lines.
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Online Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 05:15:54 PM »
Mark,  yes I poorly worded that statement.  It still goes that there were plenty of folks MIA, including those who said they were coming.  The stunt attendance was about half the normal amount.  Thank goodness we also had racing and combat events with participants who did show up.   Otherwise the contest would have been somewhat a bust.  Overall, still a good time had by all.  But still.............

Mike Hazel,  contest director and hamburger flipper

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
I want to acknowledge Mike and John, you guys make this a great contest, It just wasnt something I could swing, between not working currently and the lingering effects from my chemo that make cold VERY uncomfortable, I just chose not to ,, rest assured I will be on the trail next year,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 12:31:39 PM »
My excuse is not as impressive as some others...runny nose, dry cough, abundant sneezing. Dabnab germs have no consideration. Lazed about all weekend and feeling better. NWSR meeting Twozday night. So, what were the results for Sunday?  ???
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 03:34:34 PM »
I want to acknowledge Mike and John, you guys make this a great contest, It just wasn't something I could swing, between not working currently and the lingering effects from my chemo that make cold VERY uncomfortable, I just chose not to ,, rest assured I will be on the trail next year,,
Mark, sorry to hear you didn't get to go to one of my all time sites for the contest.  After 2 years of fighting health problems (you know what I'm talking about) Dave Miller and I did do he Ringmaster thing Saturday. Some frustration but a lot of fun getting  back behind a handle. Keep up wit the optimism.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 06:21:14 PM »
Report and photos are now on flyinglines.org
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 06:33:51 PM »
Well, the Fall Follies was a bit weak on entries.  Just the same, I got to watch some mighty nice flying in PA.
The one entry in Beginner was inspiring to watch.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here