News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:18:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fair prices for slightly older engines (ST 51, 46)  (Read 945 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fair prices for slightly older engines (ST 51, 46)
« on: December 03, 2018, 12:40:20 PM »
What's a fair price for a NIB Tom Lay ST 51?  I've got at least one.

There's some used ST 51's in the mix plus some ST 46's, but I haven't inventoried to see what's there, and all of the used ones are hard to assess because they've been sitting with castor in them -- I want to get them freed up and tried out before I go to sell them, so no one gets a pig in a poke.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fair prices for slightly older engines (ST 51, 46)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with a pig now n then :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 05:14:33 PM »
What's a fair price for a NIB Tom Lay ST 51?  I've got at least one.

There's some used ST 51's in the mix plus some ST 46's, but I haven't inventoried to see what's there, and all of the used ones are hard to assess because they've been sitting with castor in them -- I want to get them freed up and tried out before I go to sell them, so no one gets a pig in a poke.

If the T&L engine is indeed new in box, then I would think that whatever Tom's price was would be a place to start. I don't know if I have one of his old price lists or not anymore. (We miss you Tom!) As far as the used ones go, depends on how much they were used , stock or reworked. If these came from the same guy you got the models from, I would not be surprised if he had more than one T&L engine. Probably the same for the ST.46's also.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »

If the T&L engine is indeed new in box, then I would think that whatever Tom's price was would be a place to start. I don't know if I have one of his old price lists or not anymore. (We miss you Tom!) As far as the used ones go, depends on how much they were used , stock or reworked. If these came from the same guy you got the models from, I would not be surprised if he had more than one T&L engine. Probably the same for the ST.46's also.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Same guy, you'll be hearing from me a lot on the Classifieds, and possibly eBay.  And yes, there's lots of 51s and 46s, a 60 that I know of disassembled in a box, some 40FPs (some at least that are Tom Dixon modded), etc.

I'm certain the engine is new in box -- it's in the box, in the original packaging with a hand-written note from Tom, and it turns.  All of the engines that I've touched that have obviously been in planes are also obviously coated in old castor and will not, or only barely, turn.

I have some of his correspondence with T&L -- I'll look for a price list.  That's a good idea, and I thank you for it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
I have 3 T&L G51's I got from Tom - $225.00 a piece

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »
Thank you Gene.  That's very useful.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
If I didn't need a fourth T&L  ST .51, I'd pay you $250.00 for it. You pay postage. D>K

C'mon.  Can you ever have enough of them?
AMA 64232

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »
Toward the end of Tom's life, he offered a deal for a rework for $80-$90 for PAMPA members, depending on engine, if it was NIB, or plus parts if it wasn't. I think the G.51's were $90 from Tower, while they were still available, so I'd say $180-$200 for a NIB G.51. Problem I have with that is that it's still a ringed engine, and Brian Gardner has those sweet ABC conversion.

If the .46's and .60 are rebuildable, you might converse with Randy Smith and see what it would cost to get them rebuilt if they need it (to sell on eBay), or see if you can get an offer from him for the parts? I have not been in that situation, but I did pick up a .60bb and G.21 .46 from the Steve Stevenson silent auction. I sent them to Tom and waited and waited and waited some more. There is a lot to be said for having it available NOW, rather than waiting a year. You'd probably get more $ for them from eBay, if you're willing to put up with it.  D>K Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 07:57:30 PM »
Nothing wrong with a pig now n then :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Pigs equal bacon, cant see a problem there!!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here