News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FAA Reauthorization Act  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FAA Reauthorization Act
« on: October 05, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
So what's the FAA Reauthorization Act going to mean for us control line flyers?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: FAA Reauthorization Act
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »
Chris
as it stands, we continue to do our thing and abide by the AMA Safety Code.
And those around the DC area to follow the no fly restrictions encircling the focal point of the Reagan Tacan.

but, as always, I am sure that the knot heads that fly where ever they want will some how spoil things.........................

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »

but, as always, I am sure that the knot heads that fly where ever they want will some how spoil things.........................

Carl

Yep...that's right....they always do.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »
Chris
as it stands, we continue to do our thing and abide by the AMA Safety Code.
And those around the DC area to follow the no fly restrictions encircling the focal point of the Reagan Tacan.

Carl

So no-one really knows what will change when it does change?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »
So no-one really knows what will change when it does change?

Correct, they haven't actually changed anything yet (aside from eliminating the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, as absolutely everyone except Chad Budreau/AMA Government Relations predicted). The 400 foot "rule" appears to be the most impacting for model aviation in general, as it effectively wipes out many forms of RC. For CL, they seem to want a "test" of some sort, about airmanship or something TBD, but otherwise little effect. The apparent need for something like a transponder in every airplane appears to be gone. This is all preliminary until the actual rules are written.

Of course, all this is ultimately pointless, because we will comply, all other responsible modelers will comply, including hanging their turbine models on the wall forever. And the drone idiots will continue doing exactly as they have been, most people will never even know there are regulations, and the industry will keep supplying them.

Brett

p.s. as noted previously to Budreau and the rest of the AMA "brain trust":

As long as you associate drones with traditional model aviation, you have made the Special Rule For Model Aircraft COMPLETELY INDEFENSIBLE. <<<<<
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:38:14 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
It looks like to me the rocket flyers can not justify their hobby along with SAM and the free flight guys. You can not stop a free fight plane from climbing in a thermal. Unless you add an altimeter to activate the dethermalizer. The thing is, we have no idea what they are going to do and what the results will be when we do know. A lot of grey area right now. Or shall we say in the dark.

It somewhat depends on where you fly. If you fly at an established R/C field, then that is were we will be scrutinized. Law enforcement does not know control line from a Frisby. If it is a model airplane, and fly's, it must be a drone. How many hoops are we going to have to jump through to justify our hobby? No one knows.

There are also rules requiring certification of model manufacturers to meet the FAA requirments, what ever they are. Does that mean that those that build their own models will have to be certified by the FAA?

A lot of what ifs. The thing is, people in control could care less about our little hobby. That is the scary thing. No one worried about all this until the drone thing. Now we are visible. We are all lumped in with the evil drone flyers.
Jim Kraft

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »
Jim that's about what I think.  I guess the FAA will need to write rules in line with the law?  Isn't that what just happened?  Didn't think they were suggestions.....Well what do I know.   I do think CL is mostly in tact but I think the other modes are in trouble.  What WILL affect us I think is the damage to what is left of the hobby suppliers.  They pay their bills off the RC group mostly.  What could happen is regional or area enforcement where it's taken more seriously in some locales than in others.  It could be a while before we will really know how it shakes out but I do think we might reach out to those who stand to lose here and see if we can interest them in control line.  Many of the younger ones have little to no exposure to it.  We might find at least SOME new recruits.  Yes the organized hobbyist got swept up in the same pile as the drone culture.  That was inevitable since the dis-interested could really care less.  We can hope for silver linings.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here