News:

• May 05, 2024, 02:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F2B Stunt Pre-Flight Checks & Flying Tips  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: F2B Stunt Pre-Flight Checks & Flying Tips
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2022, 09:36:52 PM »
Hello again!

I’m just gonna share my latest progress here.
Please don’t get bored since no one at my club is flying a glow-engine C/L anymore or even any type of C/L in general.

I have changed my engine on my Banshee from OS LA-S 40 into ENYA SS40 BB. Since I have a tongue muffler on it, the nose weight becomes lighter than my previous LA with stock muffler — CG was readjusted by removing the tail weight.

Since it’s a broken-in-second-hand engine, I just did a quick ‘break-in’ with a rich mixture (NVA opening 3 turns). It started easily in one flip.

The mixture on the first two flights was rich (3 turns and 2 turns respectively) — I didn’t really like it since it was too slow (around 7 sec per lap)

I tried to set it leaner (1 1/4 turns) on my third and fourth flights and it was really good! Good power, good line tension, and good lap time (around 5 sec) — probably too fast.

The plane was very responsive, and I’m getting more comfortable and confidence to try stunts since I’m getting those reflexes needed either when the plane doing the intended maneuvers or when the maneuvers went wrong.

This weekend was a good weekend for me.
Thank you for all the supportive inputs you’ve given me!

Here’s a quick video of my last flight.

Best,
Kafin
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2022, 10:49:40 PM »
 #^
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2022, 11:07:46 PM »
   GREAT!! Now just keep that up for a while and build some time. Get on YouTube, find some contest videos by Windy or anyone else and watch some patterns on line and compare what you are doing to what you see in a video. It also looks like you were doing loops at different places on the circle. No wind? Always keep the breeze t you back to help keep the lines tight. When you get to the point of doing more than one loop[ at a a time, it's important.  It also looks like you are going to a neutral elevator position at the top of the loop. Keep flying the loop all the way around. You can back off on the handle a bit but you still need to keep some deflection in. Even with the delay you have, the model still responds quickly, so you are in the right direction here. Burn some more fuel!
   HAVE FUN!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2022, 12:43:59 AM »
It looked to me in the video during the loop that you are real close to going inverted. May the force be with you Kafin. Looking forward to seeing your Cardinal as well.

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2022, 03:28:55 AM »
It also looks like you were doing loops at different places on the circle. No wind? Always keep the breeze t you back to help keep the lines tight.

I was actually going to do the wingover, but it went wrong.
Luckily, there was no wind and I knew what I had to do this time, so I just let it made the loop.

I hope I won’t have more technical problems so I can start burning more fuel and focus more on flying.
INA 1630

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2022, 03:39:27 AM »
It looked to me in the video during the loop that you are real close to going inverted. May the force be with you Kafin. Looking forward to seeing your Cardinal as well.

I actually went a half lap of inverted flying in the previous flight.
It really is getting there!
INA 1630

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2022, 05:59:37 AM »
Lap times are perfect.  I got 5.25 seconds from the video.  Ideal.  A good engine run.  CG / balance also looks fine, with responsive turning.

As Dan mentioned, a concern was that loops were at different places in the circle.  It's a good practice to feel the wind, however slight, as it influences tension and hits your face, seeking the ideal spot downwind.  The spot is just beyond downwind for insides, btw, and just shy of downwind for outsides.

Nice flight!

Peter

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2022, 08:58:55 AM »
Dan and Peter hit on something that we may be overlooking and that is that all of us here offering our help learned these lessons decades ago and have developed the reflexive skills necessary to fly decent patterns.  You have passed the first one - confidence that the plane will do what you ask it to do.  Flying skills are very personal and you are going to have to develop the ones that suit you, but you want to select from ones that work before they become habit.   Along with his series on trimming, Paul Walker wrote a wonderful series on flying.  I will try and find a link to it for you unless someone here has it already.

I will mention three, there are more. First and probably most important is feeling the wind.  How you do it will be something you develop but it needs to become something you do without thinking about it.  I am perhaps the worst one to give advice on this one.

Second is your handle grip and arm position - how you hold it when you are flying.  Figure this one out early because it is very difficult to change it later.  The only point I will make on this is to know your wrist and how it moves.  The closer you can come to keeping it vertical and still have enough range of motion up and down the better.  You want to use fingers, wrist, elbow in that order to maneuver.  With a well-trimmed plane in normal wind conditions, you can fly most of the pattern with fingers and wrist alone.  How much down bias you have in your handle should be determined by YOUR wrist, not somebody else.  I have nearly three times the down motion vs up motion in my wrist.

Finally, where you stand and how you move when flying can be very important down the road.  In spite of doing a lot of racing as a senior I developed a rather flat-footed approach to stunt.  It really hurts me in low and high wind conditions and where you need to be moving while you are doing maneuvers to avoid your wake or whipping.  It is a skill you need to learn early FROM OTHERS since I suck at it.  One note on whipping.  Learn that skill early, especially in wind, mainly because the F2B pattern requires it.

There are other skills but I will leave that to others more qualified to pass them on.  It is considerably more difficult to break a bad habit than it is to develop a good one.

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2022, 08:54:36 PM »
Years ago one of the great pilots of our fraternity said in order to feel the wind he would get a hair cut before serious practice.  Also pay attention to the wind on your ears.  I my self let the airplane tell me where the wind is coming from.   One contest site I could feel the wind on the back of my neck but the airplane said no.  Best tension was with wind in my face as the reverse wing was the maneuver that I noticed it. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2022, 09:22:40 PM »
Years ago one of the great pilots of our fraternity said in order to feel the wind he would get a hair cut before serious practice.  Also pay attention to the wind on your ears.  I my self let the airplane tell me where the wind is coming from.   One contest site I could feel the wind on the back of my neck but the airplane said no.  Best tension was with wind in my face as the reverse wing was the maneuver that I noticed it. D>K
We have a common affliction!  Since I lost the feel from my ears I have been using the plane as well.  Just be careful, they will lie to you if they think you are ignoring them. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here