News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eyelet Pliers  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Eyelet Pliers
« on: February 14, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »
Hi,  Does anyone know where I might locate a 3/16" eyelet plier?
I plan to assemble a control line caddy that fliers can utilize at the
field when flying and a set is needed.  This would make the cost of a
set of lines less than two dollars and no shipping charges just ten minutes
of their time.

Thanks

Marv

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Eyelet Pliers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:23:19 PM »
I don't know exactly what your looking for, but Carl Shoup sell a set of crimping pliers for doing line work. ;)
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:22:23 AM »
Hi Marv,
I have yet to find a set of pliers that will work on lead out eyelets.  Just too small for all the pliers I have found.  :(
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 07:37:18 AM »
Bill,
 Eyelet pliers are kinda misleading as instead of jaws there are steel dowels that are male (the post) and female (the flanging side) .  These are size specific and I would like to locate ones that are constructed better than what I have seen so far.  Thanks for the input though.

Marv

Offline Bill Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:55:37 AM »
Are these used for making eyelets?

Bill M.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:09:39 AM »
Bill,
 Eyelet pliers are kinda misleading as instead of jaws there are steel dowels that are male (the post) and female (the flanging side) .  These are size specific and I would like to locate ones that are constructed better than what I have seen so far.  Thanks for the input though.

Marv

Yes, Marv, eyelet pliers ARE different!!   ;D  I have a few pairs of them for putting eyelets in tarps. 

Also have a leather maker's tool that is very ancient and has provisions for both punching the hole and then forming an eyelet.  Was probably originally a shoemaker's tool.  I have ocassionally used it for forming the back side of the eyelet which it does a good job of.

BUT as I said, I have never been able to find a "pair" of regular "one size" eyelet pliers that small.  I have some that will install an eyelet with about a 3/8th " hole if you need them! hahahaha

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 03:28:40 PM »
Bill M,
yes and no, by that I mean that we form a thimble from an eyelet, or depending on who you are speaking with it may be the reverse.  I don't argue as I can easily get on the wrong side of this one.  I do know that the finished product is what we wrap the flying line on and crimp.  Now if that finished part is a thimble, okay, if that finished part is an eyelet, okay.  I would only offer this; Stimpson the biggest domestic manufacturer of this part calls the unfinished piece a "Thimble", me I don't care I just want a way to make the part we want for our flying lines.  Having said all that, I sure could use some help.  The unfinished part can be had ($25.00 minimum) for six dollars per thousand so there would be oodles of them to pass around and I would get a lot of satisfaction in providing this kind of help for the guys.

Regards

Marv

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
Marvin,
Now that I am at home, I think the place to look is for shoe repair tools.  Putting new eyelets in a shoe has the same purpose that you are looking for.  The tool I have is a lot like a hand held "press" with a "pin" and a "plate" that the thimble is pressed against to form the second curl.  Thimble, eyelet, grommet, doesn't matter.  We know what you're talking about!  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 06:04:12 PM »
Do you start with an eyelet thats finished on one side or a short straight piece of tubing? There is a reason I'm asking.

Bill

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »
This is for Bill M

Yes the starting "thimble has a flange on one end. 

Marv

Offline Bill Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 07:07:15 PM »
If I have a a proper piece of steel lying around I can make you a punch you could hit with a hammer to finish the eyelet.

Bill Mitchell
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 06:49:28 AM by Bill Mitchell »

Offline Bill Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 06:55:26 AM »
Apparently the system thinks the spelling of my last name is obscene. ???

Bill Mitchell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 07:12:33 AM »
I'll see what I can do about that! ::) Sorry
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 08:55:24 PM »
 :o You gotta admit that was pretty funny! ::)
AMA 12366

Offline Peter OKeeffe

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 06:56:02 AM »
Marv,

I bought a shoe eyelet 'kit' that included a hundred eyelets (with flange and one end and tube at the other) and pair of pliers.
Tried it out and found that the tube end of the eyelet would split open at a couple of places around the circumference of the tube when I tried to use the pliers to make the flange... I didn't persevere with it due to the splitting problem...
Wonder if you've encountered this?

Dunno, maybe  better quality pliers and eyelets would have helped...??

Cheers, Peter O'Keeffe / sunny Australia
Peter O'Keeffe / Australia

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 07:22:30 AM »
Peter,

Cheers Mate  ;) Ahhhh, the warm and sunny down under.  Don't be shootin my pet Roo hear  :-*
About the eyelet pliers.  I will say this, I have and still am having that problem to some degree.  The real culprit, assuming that you have the proper size post and die is what you suspected, the eyelets themselves.  If you inspect the tube end of them you will probably notice that some of them are a bit turned in and others have a crinkled edge.  If the tube is showing either of these characteristic's it will "flower" on you.  I am working on a solution and expect to resolve this rather soon.  I will post the answer here on the forum and send you an email as to which category it will be posted on.  The reason I say this is at present I am too new to say it will be here on the open forum as opposed to the "Building Tips" section.

Have a Coldie on me

Marv

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 09:05:11 AM »
To all, I quit using eyelets years ago when I seen someone using 1/16 OD copper tubing.  Can also use brass tubing after its been annealed.  The tubing is about 1 inch long.  After inserting the line, I wrap it around a small phillips screwdriver to a tear drop shape.  Makes wrapping lines easier.  But, now I use Carls Swagging method in which the swag tube goes on first.  I can make a set of lines in less than 15 minutes.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 09:23:50 AM »
Doc,

Good to see your posts.  How about a little show and tell for those of us
that would like to put an end to this eyelet nonsense.  I think that your idea is one that needs to be shown along with the step by step "how to" and then archived in the building tips section for all.  What say you Robert?
Doc, get a chance to sign up for a "Sparky" original yet?

Thanks for the post Doc

Marv

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 09:43:48 AM »
Right now I am without a camera.  Next weekend is the freeze fly in St Louis.  Maybe I can get down there and let Robert take pictures.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 03:26:19 PM »
Thanks Doc.  I look forward to seeing the post here and I am sure that I'm not the only one.  If you don't mind, when you post would you compare the two methods and why you believe this one is better?  Also some thoughts about drag and weight and if it matters as far as you are concerned?  Having said that go win a trophy or two.

Marv

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »
I must admit that I am as mystified by this whole topic as I was back when it was first posted on SSW. I keep thinking there must be more to the story...

Anyway, Doc has suggested an excellent alternative to eyelets for line-end terminations and it has been my method of choice for many years.

No pictures required.

1. Heat 1/16" brass tubing cherry red.

2. Let tubing cool.

3. Slice into 1 1/2" lengths by rolling tubing under a sharp knife.

4. De-burr completely.

5. Slide flying line or leadout material into tubing. Leave some material for handling.

6. Bend tubing into a closed "U" shape. I use snipe-nose pliers--round jaw against round jaw--but other methods are fine.

7. Wrap per usual practices. Or crimp, your choice.

I have been using this method since my early days of flying Combat. There the issue was being able to pick up the handle in a hurry and having much, much less chance of the line ends being twisted, an eyelet hung up in some fashion.

This applies in Stunt, of course, although not to such a degree.

However, if pictures are desired, there are some, along with a nice tool, in a thread which you started on SSW: http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID1/15569.html#19

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Ron Hofacker

• New Pilot
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 05:47:45 AM »
Maybe I'm doing this wrong... but when I make the "U" shaped bend the tubing flattens, becomes out of round and won't make a nice smooth fit in the bellcrank. How do you treat this problem?

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 07:24:39 AM »
Hi Ron,

I have yet to use this method but in the past life, I have worked with copper a bit.
I don't  mean to offend but starting at step one for refresher orientation keeps me
squared away.  Properly anneal the tubing to remove the stiffness. Use a flexable wire that fits well but not too snugly in the tube you want to bend and make sure you have excess on both ends.  Now if you have a small hobby vise and a dowel, you are ready to gently bend it.  Another method is to drill a hole in a hardwood block and bend the tube.  I would not suggest that you use pliers of any kind until you have practiced bending the tubing first.  My guess is that you won't need them.
 Dan, et al  correct my errors so Ron will be on track please.

Thanks
Marv

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 07:43:22 AM »
When it comes to bushing lead outs in a bellcrank, I have never needed more than my fingers to bend the brass tubing.  I heat it as posted, insert the wire and then slide the tubing through the B/C.  Once it is centered, I just bend both ends down.  Then I can move it around in th eB/c and loosen up the fit.  I wrap, but others do swadge.  "Crimping" brings out the wrong "image" in my mind.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here