News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Expo handles  (Read 654 times)

Offline Paul Van Dort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Expo handles
« on: March 29, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
 I wanted to share my expo handles. I am using large bellcranks, but I like small line spacing for level/ inverted  flight (9 cm =my hand width). So I created this type of handle to give me more steering effect . It is not hard point, but I like it. 3 types: little overhang for heavy wind, medium overhang for a decent breeze and large overhang for no wind. 

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
Re: Expo handles
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 03:24:25 PM »
Paul, good work.
Q, Why does overhang change with wind strength?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 05:50:48 PM »
Paul, good work.
Q, Why does overhang change with wind strength?

I can guess - he is trying to maintain the same control loading in different conditions. One of the features of flying in significant wind is that the corners "open up" because the airplane whips up, and the control loads - using pre-1990 techniques - get outlandish. Having lots of overhang in good conditions emulates this, so you can have the same load response all the time.

I don't care much for this plan. Being used to the heavy control loads is great, but it also means you have heavy control loads all the time, which makes it much more difficult than it needs to be   I think it is much more reliable to use modern techniques and equipment to reduce the loads all the time.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 06:11:48 PM »
Good to see Original Thinking .

Not everybody arrived in Rome by going down the same road .

Offline Paul Van Dort

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 01:21:56 AM »
  I can guess - he is trying to maintain the same control loading in different conditions. One of the features of flying in significant wind is that the corners "open up" because the airplane whips up, and the control loads - using pre-1990 techniques - get outlandish. Having lots of overhang in good conditions emulates this, so you can have the same load response all the time.

I don't care much for this plan. Being used to the heavy control loads is great, but it also means you have heavy control loads all the time, which makes it much more difficult than it needs to be   I think it is much more reliable to use modern techniques and equipment to reduce the loads all the time.

Brett

Brett you are correct. Having the same feel, regardless of wind conditions. And indeed my power system is not as advanced as tuned pipe or electrics or 4 stroke (if they still apply as advanced) . But my St51 is behaving rather decently as I tuned it.  Less braking than the top systems. But it is what it is. Proper positioning of the manoevers helps in reducing whip up.  The handle with the small overhang  allows easy steering in wind. it was an eye opener. I used to fly with a an handle with large overhang for years. Silly. Fighting the line pull. The thing is that using this handle with a small overhang in conditions with little or no wind, makes it more difficult for me to reach this automatic neutral elevator after corners. It induces more wobbles. That is the main reason to use this handle with more overhang. I need to test it when the weather allows, but that is the theory :-)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here