News:

• May 16, 2024, 10:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New old guy  (Read 1478 times)

Offline RC1947

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
New old guy
« on: March 15, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »
Hello everyone!  I haven't flown a CL plane for at least 45 years, but, recently, entertained the idea of getting back into it.  The demise of local hobby shops pretty much insists upon joining a forum in order to re-learn the hobby, and to get reliable info about current products to do with building, flying... .  I bought a Brodak Lil Wizard kit, and have a .049 Cox Black Widow engine on the way, supposedly NIB.  I also purchased a Cox kit with many of the necessities I'll need to fly the plane once I've built it.
Fuel:  is 24% Nitro GlowPlugBoy Glow Fuel for Cox .049/.051 Engines suitable for my needs?  18% Castrol/2% syn

Thanks, RC

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: New old guy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »
Good for you!  Where are you located?
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
Hello everyone!  I haven't flown a CL plane for at least 45 years, but, recently, entertained the idea of getting back into it.  The demise of local hobby shops pretty much insists upon joining a forum in order to re-learn the hobby, and to get reliable info about current products to do with building, flying... .  I bought a Brodak Lil Wizard kit, and have a .049 Cox Black Widow engine on the way, supposedly NIB.  I also purchased a Cox kit with many of the necessities I'll need to fly the plane once I've built it.
Fuel:  is 24% Nitro GlowPlugBoy Glow Fuel for Cox .049/.051 Engines suitable for my needs?  18% Castrol/2% syn

Thanks, RC

I was out of the hobby for over 25 years before getting back into it 2 years ago.  Here is the Wizard I built last fall to get my daughter into flying.
The fuel is ok except for the oil. The Cox engines will only give you consistent runs without
overheating if the oil content exceeds 25%.  Yours is 20% total. Go to a drug store and get a bottle of medical grade castor oil. Add 10% to your fuel, bringing your oil content to 30%. You will save yourself a lot of headaches if you do.
Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline RC1947

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:58:58 PM »
I'm in snow covered Connecticut, on the eastern side.  I have a 14 yr. old grandson who more than likely has never seen one of these planes, or knows what fun it is to be able to fly without crashing.  I'll need a helper, and if he tries a flight, I can cover that role.
Nice build and paint scheme on your Wizard.  I mainly chose that kit for the solid wing, which I thought might be better for a beginner, me.  Thanks guys.  RC

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »
Not to cause a controversy, but 20% oil is fine for a Cox engine.  If you look at the old formulation sheets for the fuel sold by Cox (the real L.M. Cox, before Estes), the company fuel had 18% Castor, 2% Dow (synthetic) for all their fuels.  But, the oil content you want for a Cox engine should contain at least 10% castor oil, the rest can be synthetic.   If you run all synthetic oil in your Cox engine, it will be bad for the engine.

I am confused about your GlowPluBoy fuel.  The current GPB fuel for 1/2A comes in 15% and 35% nitro content, both 18% Castor and 2% synthetic.  This is what you want for your Cox.

35%  http://fitzfuels.com/index.php?id_product=1&controller=product
15%  http://fitzfuels.com/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product
Notice on the pages beside the pictures of the bottles are the classic Cox Thimble Drome logo: 

Mark

EDIT:  Sorry, when you typed 18% Castrol, I thought you meant Castrol synthetic oil.  I think you meant to type Castor instead of Castrol.  The fuel you have is great go use.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Regardless of the formulation of Cox fuel, which has been suspect at times, if your 049's start fine , run good but then sag at around 1/2 tank they ARE overheating and the only solution is to increase oil content, specifically the castor content.

My rant on the subject is over.

Gary

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:28:53 AM »
RC,
Welcome back!  You should have a blast. Wizards fly good. What type and length of lines are you planning on? Also need to watch your total control sensitivity with horn and bellcrank hole positions and handle size. For first flights might consider less prop along with a rich setting to get a few laps to get used to turning around. I am a fan of a lot of tip weight on a trainer like this until you want to get bold. A pretty large fender washer is excellent, taped on the underside.

I just test flew a new solid wing trainer I brewed up from some donated wing stock.  Very pleased with how well it flew! I need to slow down the controls and reduce the prop pitch before doing any training flights. Was flying on ~40' of .008 stranded cable. Spectra lines work very well also.

Good luck with your project---it should be a lot of fun!

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:33:45 AM »
I left eastern Ct. over 2 years ago. I thought I was the only c/l flyer east of the Ct river. I lived in Moosup and belonged to the Yankee Flyers r/c club. I now live in Louisiana and belong to the Baton Rouge Bi-liners. Too bad we missed. A couple guys from the Propbusters went c/l for a while in the 80's but I haven't bumped into them.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline RC1947

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 07:02:58 AM »
Yes, I meant castor, my bad.
Thanks for the helpful comments.
I know Moosup.  I'm located in Lebanon, just up the road from Norwich.
I don't yet have a clue as to how long the wires should be, meaning, I'm open to suggestions.  Actually that's true for any tips concerning building and flight that could help my enjoyment factor.  I need to clean off my hobby table from the wooden model boats (non-functional) I occasionally enjoy building to make room for the plane kit.  RC

Offline RC1947

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 07:10:45 AM »

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »
Tower sells 25% and 35% fuel under the Cox label.

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »
When I came back first up was the Sig solid wing SkyRay and Black Widow

Here are  a few links  Bernie of Cox engines and Matt of ExModel engines are both great guys with most of the remaining Cox inventory
good selection of all the repair parts for most Cox engiens

https://coxengines.ca/

http://www.exmodelengines.com/

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline RC1947

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
Thanks for the links.  I purchased a couple of props from Ex last week.  RC

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 01:54:35 AM »
Welcome back to C/L flying! My story is very similar to yours and I found this forum and my local flying club to be an excellent resource to get back into flying! I have also met some very fine folks too! Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:19:09 AM »
Yes, I meant castor, my bad.
Thanks for the helpful comments.
I know Moosup.  I'm located in Lebanon, just up the road from Norwich.
I don't yet have a clue as to how long the wires should be, meaning, I'm open to suggestions.  Actually that's true for any tips concerning building and flight that could help my enjoyment factor.  I need to clean off my hobby table from the wooden model boats (non-functional) I occasionally enjoy building to make room for the plane kit.  RC
A Wizard will fly on lines as long as 52'. Even said so on the box. That's what we would get out first flights with in my old model club. The 1/2A's fly great on 28' lines when better performance is wanted. Always seemed about ideal.

Gary

Offline RC1947

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »
Appreciate that info on the length of the lines. RC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 09:57:57 PM »
A few more ideas/opinions on lines:

1. You can use the original Dacron lines and have fun. They seem to make up about 26' lines if you use one full bobbin. They are draggy (but pretty durable and fool-proof since they do not kink) so even though they are short, they tend to slow the plane down for a more manageable rotation rate. One of the guys that occasionally flies at our field flies these and the rotation rate is pretty high when the engine is fully leaned out--or when the setting goes lean near the end. He is prone to getting a bit dizzy. Possibly important is that these pretty much tolerate getting walked on or even tangled and knotted if you can straighten them out again. This would appear to only be true for Dacron.

2. Spectra lines have the same advantages as Dacron, but are not nearly as draggy. I have a Lil' Satan with a more or less stock Black Widow. This is a two port engine, and with a 6-3 prop on 26' of spectra, and it moves right smartly. Two guys that hadn't flown in years tried it and managed, but nearly got screwed into the ground. Go read up on the right fishing knot to use on spectra, as the knot at the terminations is the weakest part of the lines. Quick and easy. (I really like using the same material for "figure 8" hinges on elevators--from 1/2As up to 40-sized racing planes. Extremely low friction, incredibly strong, quick and very inexpensive.) The last spool I bought for 1/2A lines and hinges was Power Pro 30 lb test ("8 lb equivalent diameter" compared to monofilament.) I'm sure there are different brands and different sizes available. That is just what I picked out. If I recall correctly, the line testing indicated that the true breaking strength for tied control lines was about 1/2 the box rating, so for 1/2As this would give about 15 lb per line. Since the pull tests are 5 lb for stunt and 7 lb for racing (again, from memory) you can see there is still large safety margin if correctly tied and in good condition.

3. Using .008" stranded steel lines allows longer lines and less drag but they are fragile and have to be handled carefully. Kinking them is all too easy and they are scrap. Walking on them generally scraps them too. They cost more than Dacron, and more than spectra unless you are able to use the fishing line for either lots of line sets or, go imagine--fishing! It isn't worth it to try to wrap line ends on .008" wire, but really small aluminum crimp sleeves make terminating the ends easy. I would not recommend the larger copper sleeves used with bigger lines. You can get appropriate sized sleeves from fishing suppliers or one of the control line suppliers such as Melvin at MBS. I tend to use 42' steel lines on nearly everything because it seems to work fine, and I can reduce the number of lines in the box to something manageable. Currently flying a Baby Clown, Baby Skyray, a Wizard-like trainer, Stop Sign platter, and mostly everything but the Mouse racers on .008x42's.

4. Solid steel lines (not stranded) are used in .010" diameter for 1/2A Mouse racing. These have their own special care and handling needs, and are also pretty small and fiddly to create the end terminations. They are formed (double looped), wrapped and soldered and then cleaned and oiled. Note that soldering the terminations on stranded lines can quickly result in broken lines from overheating or corrosion. This even happens to some very competent builders, so be aware of the issues if you try this technique. It was interesting to recently see that Bob Hunt of Control Line Specialties was offering some .008" solid line material to the control line community. I'm still thinking about the advantages and disadvantages of this opportunity. Maybe I'll try some to see if I like it!

Good luck and hope you have fun building soon!

McSlow

PS--Be sure to avoid a full-size control line handle if it has "flexible cable" such as the old Hot Rock. The pull from a 1/2A plane can't really straighten the cable out so the controls are mushy and seem to have no defined neutral. The Cox-style plastic handle works with Dacron, and can be modified slightly to work great with spectra or steel lines.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here