News:

• May 12, 2024, 01:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It can be done!  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
It can be done!
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
Hi All,
We often hear about the dwindling C/L numbers, and also how the R/C guys in general are not interested in having us around.  We also hear that some even look down on our side of the hobby/sport. Well, I have to tell you that yesterday (Sunday September the 4th) I was totally blown away by what happened at our club called Barnstormers here in Johannesburg South Africa. I had arranged for a Spring C/L day to get our local C/L guys out of the winter blues. Our spring starts officially in September. I informed the club chairman Danie Potgieter about the day and he went on a serious promotion to the entire club for the R/C guys to build something C/L to fly. He even sent out a plan of an old basic trainer. I thought (rather negatively) that we would maybe get one or two guys from the R/C section to join us. How wrong I was! There were about 17 extra planes that were brought out and the handful of regular C/L guys spent the day helping these folks to get flying. Have a look at the group photo below. Many did not have the right lines and a lot of the planes were not quite right but we sorted them all out and brought out plenty of sets of lines. After some dual instruction we had most of them flying competently. Many had tried C/L before so this was not too difficult.

Danie had organised a clever fun competition as well where he told the competitors to see if the pilot could fill the tanks up just enough for 10 laps. While they were flying the laps, they also had to bust some balloons and that was a real hoot! Someone held the balloons by some string tied to a long plastic tube and it was quite windy so the balloons stayed nicely into the flying circle area. The winner actually got 10 laps and two balloon busts. The bottom line is that the day was a huge success and quite a number of these guys are really keen to fly more C/L. Two of the ladies are also hooked. What a pleasure.

We have one tar circle and a grass circle as well and we are not in the way of the R/C flying but just on the opposite side of the clubhouse. Our numbers have dropped drastically in the last few years and I saw this as a way to boost our numbers from within. It seems to have worked and even if we get just a few extra C/L members that stick around it is something positive. All it takes is to spark someone's interest in trying it out first hand. This was really a good day!

You can check out the photo's and a short video on the balloon busting on our Control Line SA facebook page here at https://www.facebook.com/groups/858742724218011/

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: It can be done!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »
Fabulous Keith!
Great Idea!  Not at all sure it would work here in Tucson but it might be worth a try.  Our membership is also dwindling as we all age.

Guess I should talk to some of the other guys and see what they think.  Most do not frequent the forum.

Thanks for the idea, and congratulations on your success!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »
We often hear about the dwindling C/L numbers, and also how the R/C guys in general are not interested in having us around.  We also hear that some even look down on our side of the hobby/sport.

Most of the modeler-type RC guys are well aware of the skill required and respect the CL with no issues. The buy-and-fly RC types are the ones that look down on you, but it hardly matters because they will be gone in a few months anyway.

Brett

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »
Very cool!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
That is great for that kind of turn out.   Once they get bored with RC they may take up CL for the excitement.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here