News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:36:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Collections? (Steve Dwyer)  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Engine Collections? (Steve Dwyer)
« on: September 23, 2021, 12:33:21 AM »
…Where is the largest historical collection of model airplanes and engines located?

Steve

Steve posed an interesting (to me) question buried in a post.  I don’t know that there is an official collection outside of Drone HQ (AMA) at Muncie.  But there are a few private collections and pictorial sources out there.  Here are a few engine collections I’ve found along the way.

Does anyone have any others to add?

PW

Collections of model engines

1) My garage (and anyplace else my wife won’t find them, Lol) not exactly a historical collection, just whatever I could afford when someone was selling.

1b) John Wright’s accumulation - you’ll have to ask John about his 600+ specimens.

2) Dan Sitter - A significant portion of his 2-story home is dedicated to exhibiting his collection and a tour is wonderful.  Dozens of glass display cases lining the walls (pics below).  I believe Dan holds or held a Guinness World Record.

3) The Craftsmanship Museum in Vista, Calif (20 miles north of San Diego, also pretty darn close to Sherline HQ)
https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/enginemen.htm

4) The J. M. Rojo photographic collection:
https://rojobcn.com/ultimosmotores.htm

5) Adrian’s Model Aero Engines:
https://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/main.php

6) SceptreFlight.com

7) CoxEngineForum.com

8 ) https://collectair.org/vintageengines.html

9) The Ola Fremmi collection
http://www.ofremmi.info/MyEngines/MyEngines.htm

10) Pinterest is a site that allows users to “pin” up their favorite images and sites as a virtual collection.  Here’s just one:
https://pin.it/7n9IEQ8

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine Collections? (Steve Dwyer)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 07:28:56 AM »
  I think Bob Zambelli has been putting together a large collection for display at a museum associated with John Brodak. He has posted photos of some real odd ball examples over the years. I have a decent sized collection, but not too many rare examples, most would be considered runners, and most are stored in several footlockers or old clothes dresser. I have a few that are just to "have" but most are considered fair game to run and use.

Have you ever noticed that most of the Dooling engines you see come up on eBay are new in box examples? My guess is that when a guy managed to save up enough for a .29 or a .60,  ( sometimes equivalent to a months pay!!) he was reluctant to use it in fear of damaging it so they "saved" it for that special model, that never came along! The same for green box Noblers and some other kits.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
Dan,

You are 100% right that some model goods are saved until skills develop and time permits.  In the course of handling downsizing/estate work, I can recall one kit, a Jack Stafford B-24 or B-29, that showed evidence of having seven owners.

Peter

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 09:42:22 AM »
Z-man and I don't agree about much, but he is doing a terrific job of displaying engines of all sizes and shapes at the Brodak Museum!

Very difficult, as there are quite a few rare and VERY rare pieces there and history is often difficult to determine. He asks here on the forum for help frequently.

There are also quite a few rare kits at the museum....

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 10:02:07 AM »
Paul great response, great post!! Several things come to mind.

Collections are generally minute representations of vast amounts of something that occurred during an era. How impressive was the number of producers of model engines during the "development years" of pre and post WW2. Powered model airplanes (engines) along with boats and tethered cars had become a novelty, something everyone could have and enjoy, kids and adults alike.

Fortunately there have always been and always will be those that see value in retaining evidence of the past. I recall seeing a beer can (bottle) collection in a basement that spanned the country for well over a hundred years. The elderly owner took delight in his collection but had no idea where it would end up. Unfortunately the circumstances surrounding the inheritance of someone's passion will often result in the dumpster effect. “Value is in the eye of the beholder”   

It would be interesting to find how often the Smithsonian refuses unique collections because of the definition of natural history. Fortunately, we have the AMA and Brodak but what assurances these individual collections you have pointed out will fall into the right hands? I guess I’m more nostalgic than most, if my CS 36 is a “rarity” even if of little value shouldn’t I find a proper location for the ages, and not on the back of a shelf waiting it’s disposal?

I’m sure most everyone here has similar thoughts when it comes to their sometimes rare and cherished items. Thanks for the response.

Steve

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 11:46:54 AM »
John Wright does not have a display to offer.
But tells me he cannot log-in to SH...
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 06:05:40 PM »
Very interesting topic!
As mentioned, I have put many hours into the engine display for the Brodak museum.
At the inception, John and I decided to try and have the biggest and most diverse collection of engines anywhere.
This was facilitated by a previous purchase by John, consisting of around 2,500 engines as well as hundreds of kits and thousands of magazines and books.
I volunteered to set up the entire engine display so John made me the engine display coordinator.  But before doing that, I had to inspect, clean and catalog the entire engine collection. Before putting them in the display cabinets, I spent over 200 hours preparing them.
Since there were many duplicates, I auctioned off around 1400 of them to raise funds for the museum.
At this point, we have almost 1,000 engines on display, many of them extremely rare, like the Cave Cobra, Copperhead and the Morton M-5 radial. What I really would like to find is a Feeny, the only US made four stroke engine.
In my own personal engine accumulation, I have around 900 engines, many of which will be sold or donated/loaned to the museum.

Bob Z.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 04:17:57 PM »
Anyone know of someone who is looking to add a ARM 15 diesel to their collection ?
AMA 33676

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 08:34:41 AM »
Hi, Dan.
If you want to sell it, you can probably do well in the classified section of Stunt Hanger.
Be sure and post a picture, as much detail as possible and the price.

Bob Z.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 11:44:12 AM »
Thank you Sir. Probably I should do that and maybe Ebay also.

Best regards,
Dan
AMA 33676

Offline BOB ALLAN

• Ensign

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here