News:

• May 06, 2024, 12:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to Stunthanger  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
New to Stunthanger
« on: August 18, 2022, 06:30:00 PM »
Hello to all. I just joined Stunthanger today. Looking forward to all things CL.

I flew CL 1/2a's as a kid in Hawaii. But then 50+ years go by and I decided to get back into it as I just retired as a mechanical engineer. I started CL again just 1.5 years ago. My 1st build was a Brodak Little Toot 1/2a. My most recent model is a Brodak P40 ARF w/ Evolution 36NT engine. So quite a change in a relatively short period of time.

Looking forward to learning more about all things CL as I really enjoy it.

BTW I am a member of Wine Country Flyers in Santa Rosa, CA.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New to Stunthanger
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 06:46:17 PM »
Welcome back!  Two of the biggest changes I sure you have  find, from 50 years ago, is cost has gone through the roof and electric power is now a reasonable option.  As you have already noticed ARF are readily available and they work!  Good luck getting back into the swing of things. It's a fun hobby!  y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 08:26:46 PM »
Welcome back.  You have the source here to answer most questions using the search function.  But,  you can ask questions now and wait for the various answers you will get.  I been at this since the mid 50's with a slight break every so often like work, family and some radio control.  Again welcome back. D>K H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 09:49:08 PM »
We are neighbors! I sent you a PM.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 10:22:31 PM »
Welcome back!  Two of the biggest changes I sure you have  find, from 50 years ago, is cost has gone through the roof and electric power is now a reasonable option.  As you have already noticed ARF are readily available and they work!  Good luck getting back into the swing of things. It's a fun hobby!  y1

Thanks

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 10:23:30 PM »
Welcome back.  You have the source here to answer most questions using the search function.  But,  you can ask questions now and wait for the various answers you will get.  I been at this since the mid 50's with a slight break every so often like work, family and some radio control.  Again welcome back. D>K H^^

Thanks

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 10:25:08 PM »
We are neighbors! I sent you a PM.

Yup, neighbors. I responded to your PM. I am still finding my way around this forum so hopefully you received my message.

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 11:36:11 PM »

Welcome to Stunthanger......Gene

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 08:34:59 AM »
Mr. McRae,

Welcome to SH. I returned to this hobby of my youth a few years back, and found a lot of knowledgeable fellows over here. These guys are always willing to share their experience.

You mentioned 1/2A as a kid.

Not to take away from StuntHangar, but just to invite you to re-live Cox glory over on CoxEngineForum.com (aka CEF). Those guys love to talk about anything except for politics, and is a treasure box full of neat things small. Topics are all over the board to include trains, slotcars, motorcycles...
Also, RCGroups (aka RCG) has a mildly active Control Line and 1/2A forum. The 1/2A one is more RC-oriented than CL, but there are small engine hotrodders over there.

Enjoy childhood #2!

944_Jim on SH, RCG, and CEF
Jim in NE MS

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 08:40:59 AM »
Mr. McRae,

Welcome to SH. I returned to this hobby of my youth a few years back, and found a lot of knowledgeable fellows over here. These guys are always willing to share their experience.

You mentioned 1/2A as a kid.

Not to take away from StuntHangar, but just to invite you to re-live Cox glory over on CoxEngineForum.com (aka CEF). Those guys love to talk about anything except for politics, and is a treasure box full of neat things small. Topics are all over the board to include trains, slotcars, motorcycles...
Also, RCGroups (aka RCG) has a mildly active Control Line and 1/2A forum. The 1/2A one is more RC-oriented than CL, but there are small engine hotrodders over there.

Enjoy childhood #2!

944_Jim on SH, RCG, and CEF
Jim in NE MS

Thanks much

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 01:02:34 PM »
Welcome back to all the fun.

This is a long shot but I know a guy that use to fly years ago in Hawaii.
Did you fly with Don Shackleton?

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 08:10:36 AM »
Welcome back to all the fun.

This is a long shot but I know a guy that use to fly years ago in Hawaii.
Did you fly with Don Shackleton?

Sorry, do not know of Don

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 09:31:51 PM »
Hello to all. I just joined Stunthanger today. Looking forward to all things CL. I flew CL 1/2a's as a kid in Hawaii. But then 50+ years go by and I decided to get back into it as I just retired as a mechanical engineer. I started CL again just 1.5 years ago.
Welcome to Stunt Hangar, Colin. Got there in the mid 1960's, spent 17 years in Hawaii, before 1st job after college, grad from UH with a BSME.

Back in the early 1970's in high school, I did a one shot flight with a Cox .049 RTF L-4 Grasshopper at a beach park in Maile. I bought it with cash working on a poultry farm in Maile. With only my work buddies and 15 mph tradewind to help, did the glorious Figure-9 with parts scattered across the short grassy field suitable for an NTSB investigation. Still have the donor 190 red Delrin postage stamp engine.

Later in the mainland through Uncle Sam's Scouting Club on the east coast with this time calm weather, learned that balsa flies better with a Sterling Beginner's Eindecker. (Got stationed back in Hawaii, took the GI Bill with college following after.)

My 1st build was a Brodak Little Toot 1/2a. My most recent model is a Brodak P40 ARF w/ Evolution 36NT engine. So quite a change in a relatively short period of time. Looking forward to learning more about all things CL as I really enjoy it.

If you look up the Goldberg Little Toot on Outerzone, mine is the yellow one with Testors Red Head .049. Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 12:46:47 PM »
Hello to all. I just joined Stunthanger today. Looking forward to all things CL.

I flew CL 1/2a's as a kid in Hawaii. But then 50+ years go by and I decided to get back into it as I just retired as a mechanical engineer. I started CL again just 1.5 years ago. My 1st build was a Brodak Little Toot 1/2a. My most recent model is a Brodak P40 ARF w/ Evolution 36NT engine. So quite a change in a relatively short period of time.

Looking forward to learning more about all things CL as I really enjoy it.

BTW I am a member of Wine Country Flyers in Santa Rosa, CA.

WELCOME back.  Sounds like you've got the basic skills back quickly.  Use 'em well.

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 08:36:43 AM »
Welcome to Stunt Hangar, Colin. Got there in the mid 1960's, spent 17 years in Hawaii, before 1st job after college, grad from UH with a BSME.

Back in the early 1970's in high school, I did a one shot flight with a Cox .049 RTF L-4 Grasshopper at a beach park in Maile. I bought it with cash working on a poultry farm in Maile. With only my work buddies and 15 mph tradewind to help, did the glorious Figure-9 with parts scattered across the short grassy field suitable for an NTSB investigation. Still have the donor 190 red Delrin postage stamp engine.

Later in the mainland through Uncle Sam's Scouting Club on the east coast with this time calm weather, learned that balsa flies better with a Sterling Beginner's Eindecker. (Got stationed back in Hawaii, took the GI Bill with college following after.)

If you look up the Goldberg Little Toot on Outerzone, mine is the yellow one with Testors Red Head .049. Again, welcome to the forum.

Thanks
I grew up on Oahu in Kailua. My parents (and grandparents) were born in Hilo on the Big Island. Only flew 1/2's as a kid. I recently retired and restarted the CL hobby, building and flying a lot (since I now have the time). In 1.5 years I now have 10 flyable models, my most recent a Brodak P40 ARF and a Vector 40. But still learning a lot. I also have a Top Flite Nobler ARF kit still in the box. 

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2022, 09:39:43 AM »
Thanks
I grew up on Oahu in Kailua. My parents (and grandparents) were born in Hilo on the Big Island. Only flew 1/2's as a kid. I recently retired and restarted the CL hobby, building and flying a lot (since I now have the time). In 1.5 years I now have 10 flyable models, my most recent a Brodak P40 ARF and a Vector 40. But still learning a lot. I also have a Top Flite Nobler ARF kit still in the box.

Be careful if you want to fly the Nobler ARF.  The controls are know to fail after a few flights.  As a minimum replace the leadouts.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2022, 10:27:01 AM »
Be careful if you want to fly the Nobler ARF.  The controls are know to fail after a few flights.  As a minimum replace the leadouts.   D>K
Replace the whole setup and redo the motor mounts.  If they don't fail, they will probably snag.  Once you do that just fly it till you get tired of flying, it is a sweetheart.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2022, 04:41:58 PM »
Thx for the heads up on the Nobler ARF leadouts and motor mounts.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here