General control line discussion > Open Forum

Elevator horn/pushrod connection

(1/2) > >>

Matt Brown:
I posted the topic of unequal turning on my Pathfinder LE a day or so ago. In it I mentioned that there wasn’t room for a hatch in the rear. I had cut out for the hatch but that was necessary for clearance on the ball link and bolt for the pushrod. I’m curious what others are using to connect the pushrod to the elevator horn.  I’m using an M3 x 10mm button head socket screw, Dubro 4-40 ball link and a nylok nut. That takes up about 7/16” width. That is exactly how much width I have in the tail of my new Legacy I’m working on. Moving the pushrod backwards like giving up elevator is starting to bind on the fuse sides. I’ll have to cut out the fuse side just to have sufficient space for operation. I’ve seen enough planes at the Nats that are as narrow or even more so than mine. I’m wondering what people are using to connect the horn and pushrod in that narrow space and still have the ability to adjust it.

Thanks, Matt

Ken Culbertson:
I do mine similar to yours.  I have replaced the socket head 4-40 with a flat head Phillips used for countersinking.  That gives you about an extra 1/16".  Best answer is to widen the fuselage (My Endgame IV is 3/4" inside width at the hinge point)  or make your hatch a blister.  The wider aft fuselage gives the stab considerably more rigidity.  Leaving it fixed is not an option.

Ken

Steve Helmick:
You could cut a rectangular hole in both sides of the fuselage and cover the holes with 1/64" plywood, fair in with 1/32" sheet balsa all around & apply sandpaper.

Or, you could do what Paul does and angle the aft end of the fuselage from the hingeline forward to give access to the elevator horn...the stab and fin/rudder all come off. I think it's a great idea, because then if your stab needs some incidence change, is skewed or tilted, it's easy to fix.  y1 Steve

Matt Colan:
If it’s not too late you could cut and widen the rear fuselage. Split the fuselage sides and add 1/8” between them. All you need is just enough to clear. You can also sand down the inside of the fuselage where the horn travels and give you extra room as well. My new plane I purposely made wider for this reason

Dave_Trible:
I have just cut open holes in the fuselage sides where the gadgetry needs clearance-then covered the holes with silkspan in the finishing process.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version