News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:18:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Twister comes in when turning and Timer set up???  (Read 9158 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Electric Twister comes in when turning and Timer set up???
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2022, 09:24:54 AM »
Ken,
What trim adjustments did you do to the ARF Nobler to get it in final trim?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2022, 02:31:29 PM »
Not sure what Ken did, but I pranged mine at the Paducah contest. Jim Lynch helped me build my first Nobler cowel and put real motor mounts in it. It was a great flyer and it was my go to plane when I needed a confidence boost.
Hind sight is 20/20, I wish I would have kept it.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2022, 04:51:53 PM »
Ken,
What trim adjustments did you do to the ARF Nobler to get it in final trim?

Best,     DennisT
Actually it took very little.  I got one of the three that they made without a warped wing LL~  I didn't even need a trim tab.
Bench:
* Added some area to the rudder, about 3 square inches but no offset.  Mostly it was go give it the Gieseke look.
* Replaced the ARF controls, all of them, with a Morris set.
* Changed the flap ratio to 2:3.  Stock Noblers have way too much flap for my liking.
* Added 1 degree down thrust.
* Sealed the flaps and Elevator
Field:
* First was the tip weight.  It took just over 1oz to make it right.  Less than the twister needed which is weird.
* Moved the CG back till it started to hunt then moved it back fwd.  That one was rock steady, no hunting, I think that I accidently got it lined
   up straight.  ???
* Leadouts were 3/4" behind CG
* I had to add 1 turn of up elevator to even the turn rates and that is all I ever had to do.  I just flew the Cr** out of it.

I was done trimming in three flights and it flew like a real stunt plane.  I flew it in classic for a couple of years (local allows ARFs) and even placed a few times even without the appearance points. I had just converted it to electric when it got vaporized in our house fire.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 05:08:53 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2022, 07:55:58 PM »
Why would you assume I did not check and recheck before I put the finish on a plane? I Did a bench trim too.
I know people have built some beautiful stunters and discovered a misalignment after a few flights.  Billy W. being one. It’s recorded on one of Bob Hunt tapes.

If you read the entire thread the misalignment was not much on the stab and not much was need to drop it 1/8 of a inch.
Most people here are quick to help and slow to judge.
Good day Sir.
[/quot

Paul,
I’m sure you checked everything before you covered it.  But that is the reason that the bench trimming be done before the first flight.  You have to look at everything with a very critical eye and be honest with yourself, is that the way it should be, is that stab tilt O.K at being 1/8” off, did I warp the flap when I shrunk the hinges and that caused the end of the outboard tip of the flap to move upward (see photo of misaligned flap in your first photo).

Are the controls hooked up properly or are you trying to get a 2 to 1 ratio (2 elevated to 1 flap)?  Note:  Pushrod from the bell-crank should go to the top hole of the flap horn.  The pushrod from the flap should be in the third hole from the top, the same amount on the elevator (it’s best to measure from the center of the flap horn wire to the center of the hole on the control horn, make sure they are the same on both the flap & elevator).  I’m sorry if you took my suggestions the wrong way, but I was really trying to help.

Good Luck,
Mikey

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2022, 08:24:06 PM »
Ok Mikey.

Just so many trolls in the internet now a days it just gives me a short fuse sometimes.
Not calling you a troll. ✌️🙂

It’s all good. 😎

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2022, 11:12:57 AM »
Thanks👍🏼😎

Going by the front view pic the stab appears to be tilted to the right(on the plane) at least 1/2-3/4 in.
The fin/rudder may have a slight tip to the right also.

After getting the plane to stay on the lines on both inside and outside loops then start fiddling with the line sweep, CG, and warps.  Too little line sweep(rel. to CG) will make the plane turn in.  Too much will make it drop the outboard wing hard.  Double check where the CG actually is on the wing also.  The further it is from the calculated spot (25% of the average chord) the more problems the plane will have.  For starters, it's hard to get the plane so nose heavy it won't fly decently.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here