News:

• June 15, 2024, 07:08:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric spinners  (Read 778 times)

Offline Matt Neumann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Electric spinners
« on: May 15, 2024, 06:30:29 PM »
I am in the process of gathering the stuff needed to start building this winter on the Mustunt and Chipmunk projects.  One thing I have noticed is the lack of availability of 3B electric spinners.  The ones that I found seem to be on back order with no ETA.  Looked on Ebay and found some that are all carbon but have a solid backplate which makes me think they are for IC engines.  Looking for a 2 1/4" classic style spinner for electrics in 3B.  I don't want a needle nose like I have on my Enterprise planes.  The Mustunts would not look good with a Mig 21 nose.  The thing is it seems most are made in China.  Are the Chinese going on strike?  That is a joke by the way.
Matt Neumann

Online Steve Berry

• Captain
Re: Electric spinners
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 07:05:41 PM »
I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ on this, but have you considered making your own spinners? Find one you like, make a mold, and start cracking. I'm sure there's a market out there.

There are lots of videos on mold making and composites (including a bunch by Sparky).

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Electric spinners
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 07:58:56 PM »
When I first started electric I was obsessed with cooling spinners.  I have found that the only thing that really matters is the weight.  The ones with the holes don't cool any better than the ones with the flat backplate.  Three blade IC spinners work fine.  It is the gap between the spinner and the plane that provides the most effective cooling.  1/16" to 3/32".  I get the cheap Chinese CF shells and carve out for the prop.  The DuBro plastics are good if you can find them.  I have also gotten a lot of stuff from these guys.  None of it was "junk"

https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesale-3-blade-spinner.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.auto_suggest.3.4c860Grx0GrxQU

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here