News:

• June 03, 2024, 04:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: trim queston..  (Read 11691 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
Re: trim queston..
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
Ah, just like Mike, who picks up the handle upside down every flight...on purpose. Jim Johnson also, IIRC.

As for Joe's "Primary Force"/Evo .36...I'd bet (Joe's) $2 that the TT Cyclone 11 x 4.5 would make a better combo than either the Tornado or the APC.  And possibly more tipweight. In one of Ted's essays, he suggests adding more tipweight (among other trim changes) for a windy day.   D>K Steve

Looks like there's a break in the weather from next Tuesday on.. :) If it's not too windy, I should be able to put in a few flights to check out the tip weight and go from there. 

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »
I flew a primary force for a while.  I built mine from Mike's plans and one of the first laser kits he made, but it should be pretty much the same plane.

I flew mine on an FP 25, LA 25, and an OS26 4s car motor on a tiny aluminum pipe with a tiny prop at an insanely high RPM.  It worked but FP was the best option.  

I flew on APCs of the 10" variety and the flattest pitch I could find. IIRC I think I had a 3 pitch.  Making sure to run the engine in a mildly rich 2s on the ground with only a minor burp here and there in level flight throughout the pattern.  No 2-4 stuff here. I ran Omega RC 10% nitro fuel and the FP LOVED IT!!  My FP 40 ran its best on that stuff too.  No, it's not stunt fuel but then again we aren't talking about a stunt engine either. Can't remember the RPMs off hand but it was well over 10K at launch. I wanted the RPMS as high as possible with the smaller motor keeping the engine in its designed power range.  I don't know off hand the timing of the evo 36 but if they are near what their RC counter parts are then you would want the recommended fuel to get the most consistent run. Horizon says the operating range for the evo 36 is 9300 to 17000.  You are just barely touching the operating range at take off.  This may lead to what I describe below about speeding up.

Things to try...

Take a lap time right before the RWO.  Then take it again after the round 8, and again after the clover.  You are describing a situation where it is just too rich for the over head pass in the winds, especially if you miss the wind.  The motor is still kind of cool at this point and has had no load placed on it yet.  It's probably still breaking and sounding normal but it is still a tad rich.  The lap times throughout will tell you right away if this is your issue.  It may not feel that way on the handle as the flight progresses because the performance increases with speed/power and you are able to properly fly the plane. If you are getting a large speed up by the end of the tank, more than .03 tenths.  You will want to look at how you have the tank plumbed or shimmed and see if you can get it down to .01-.02 speed up by the end of the flight.

I would also recommend taking the lines down to 60' i-i.  This was the max length I could get before the model would start faulter.  In your case you will go down on lap time to around 5 seconds but that wont be bad at that length.  it would actually be pretty good especially if the lap times are consistant beginning to end. The increased speed will pull it through the RWO that much better.

I would recommend staying with the flattest APCs you can find, even if you have to go down in diameter, get the RPMs up, way up! With that restrictive muffler you can mimic a piped system with high RPMs and flat pitches.  Run it 2-2 and you can hear the soundwave rattle on the ground before launch. It' works really good once you get it the right range.

Thanks for the insight/ tips..  H^^  I ran the Evo .36 in a wet 2-2 mode (video below shows a glimpse of the run with the 11x4 APC), that was launched at 9450rpm. as it was a bit windy that day.  I will check the run a little more closely (compare lap time from beginning to end) on my next flying session to determine if its the prop or the trim.

Joe!

No, no, no!!!  You need to start before directly upwind.  Your goal should be to have the airplane vertical at or just before directly upwind.  In the case you've described I'd suggest having the "up track" slightly prior to directly up wind as you will find the wind actually gives you a boost up and over.

sorry.. I forgot to edit that.  Randy has pointed that out earlier,  so I was aware of that.

A number of  years ago I wrote several consecutive Model Aviation Stunt columns entitled Fly Like a Champion that covers a lot of material about dealing with winds and other of Mother Nature's attempts to destroy our patterns.  Send me a private message with your email address and I'll try to scan them and forward them to you.

ted

Much appreciate that..  H^^  PM sent

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:24:33 PM by Joe Yau »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »
From the looks of the wind streamer in the back ground, you have a lot of turbulence.   I noticed the wings are wobbling a little.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »
Joe...I sent you an email with a .wpd file attached. Hope you can open it ok. If not, let me know and I'll copy/paste it into another email.  H^^ Steve

PS: Maybe Sparky could add .wpd to the acceptable file-type list?
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »
Joe...I sent you an email with a .wpd file attached. Hope you can open it ok. If not, let me know and I'll copy/paste it into another email.  H^^ Steve

Thanks Steve.  great infos! I just have to open it with the word program.  :)      I've repitched my second Tornado 3-blade to 3.75 pitch, and also reduced the middle station #5 to 4" pitch from stock 5".  I should be able to run at slightly higher rpm. will see how that works out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:54:57 AM by Joe Yau »

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »
From the looks of the wind streamer in the back ground, you have a lot of turbulence.   I noticed the wings are wobbling a little.

Both of the local fields gets like that when the wind picks up to around 12km+ or so.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
I figured I oughta try to copy & paste the mysterious information I emailed to Joe. Not sure who this was written by but it was NOT Ted Fancher. It seemed to me that Joe's setup might be improved by working on some of these suggestions, particularly items 1, 2, 3 & 4. Especially note the thoughts about the wingover! Thanks to somebody for putting this stuff in writting to help the rest of us.   y1  Steve

EDIT: Apparently, I got this article online from Australia or Europe. The takeoff position suggested for serious windy conditions is definitely not good. My own suggestion is about 15' prior to dead downwind, but opinions vary. Do what works for you!

"There are things you need to do to prepare for flying in high winds. Most important concept to remember is that stunt flying is ALL about energy management. Converting kinetic energy into potential and back. Energy management is critical when flying in windy conditions. Here's what works for me:

Setup:

1) Don't bother flying nose heavy models in high winds. There is no way around this: the further forward CG(Center of Gravity) from CL(Center of Lift), the larger the arm of force, the mode wind will push the model around. Make sure models have CG where designer intended them. If unsure where it it should be, balance the model so that CG is 6-12mm in front(can someone verify that it's in FRONT and not BEHIND, I'm always fuzzy about this) of CL.
2) Never trim in high winds. Make sure to trim the model when winds are less than 5km.
3) if you are using 3 blade prop, switch to larger diameter 2-blade prop with SQUARE tips.
4) increase launch RPM's to get .1-.2 faster lap times.

Flying maneuvers:

Takeoff: This is BAD ADVISE for any serious wind! See my note in bold above. Steve
Launch so that the wind is in the back of the model. The idea is have wind help the model accelerate(build up energy) on the downwind side(right side) of the circle. The goal is to get airborne just before you cross over from downwind to upwind side of the circle. The reason for doing it before crossing over is that you will need to establish gradual climb before you get to the up wind side. Once you're on the upwind side, the model will begin to slow down. slow = poor response to control inputs. If you are not established on the climb out, it will be difficult to change direction on the upwind side. As a general rule, the model will respond slower to control inputs on the upwind side of the circle.

Level flight:
There is not much to do here but to prepare for one of the most difficult maneuvers: wingover. To do that, you need to build up momentum. Start accelerating the model by walking backward in circle, keeping the model in font of you. The last lap before the wingover you should be walking backward as fast as possible without tripping over.

Wingover
This is the most difficult maneuver because the model is heavy(full of fuel) and has forward CG. Make soft entries into turns 1 and 3.The entry should be as if you are starting a round circle rather than a typical square entry. Another critical component is to enter directly upwind. You have to abandon the notion that you can steer the model in high winds. No amount of corrections will make the model fly straight wingover if you did not enter directly downwind. If you miss the turn and the model starts move sideways, accept the error and fly the rest of the maneuver in the direction the wind is blowing.

Inside and outside round loops, Inside square loop
Flying round loops directly downwind will cause the model to move faster and faster with every loop. This is called the "windup" and it may cause the model go so fast that it will fly into the ground. Key here is to avoid windup by biasing the center of loops to the left of the downwind for inside loops and to the right for the outsides. Amount of bias is directly proportional to how high the winds are. More wind, more bias. Start by flying insides 3m past direct downwind. If you get the amount of bias correct, the model will fly loops as if there is no wind! Oh yes, one critical detail: NEVER FLY above 45 degrees!!! think of 45 as "do not cross" line. If you do, the lines will go slack and the model will be at the mercy of Boreas, the God of the Wind!
Outside Squares
Same bias rules apply as with round loops. At the entry into the maneuver, the model will be going very fast. Turning down will make it go even faster. There is very little you can do so be prepared to turn hard and quick. There is one very good trick to lower the entry speed to somewhere manageable: do not start climb to enter outsides until you are on the downwind side of the circle. Speed loss due to the climb will offset the speed gain provided by the wind on the downwind side. The steeper the climb, the slower the entry will be. Don't make it too slow though: slow = lack of control.

Triangle

Bias just like you would with rounds. The first turn will be on the upwind side and the wind will make the model turn harder that usual so there is no need to make that hard first turn. Let wind help you. The less you turn, the more energy you will have for turn 3.

Horizontal round and square 8

DO NOT BIAS! DO NOT FLY ABOVE 45! These maneuvers should be directly down wind. Be prepared for the model to slow down significantly at the top and adjust your timing accordingly. Most pilots develop a rhythm for squared 8's: evenly spaced turn, turn, turn. That rhythm is your enemy in high winds! Fly by watching position of the model instead.

Vertical 8

This seems to be the most difficult maneuver for most pilots because most pilots fly large inside loop which places the outside loop past 90 degrees. Past 90, there is not just the wind slowing it down, the wind s actually pushes it DOWN towards you! The key here is to keep inside loop tight below 45, directly downwind. Remember the wind up issue when flying round loops directly down wind? Well, here we NEED that wind up to build energy for the outside top loop! Another key element here is to keep line tension up. One way to do it is to shorten the lines. I typically fly with my hand almost extended. When flying the outside loop, I bring the handle closer to my chest and begin to I will begin to kneel on one knee. What this does is decrease the radius of the circle the model flies which increases line tension. Stand back up and move the hand to regular position for the down side.

Hourglass

Unlike other maneuvers that have just one or two tricks to keep flying, hourglass needs 5 tricks!
1) Build up energy by walking backwards like just like you did for the wingover. slowly build up the speed, so that you are walking the fastest during the last 1/4 lap before turn 1.
2) make a shallow turn up. Since turn 1 takes place on the upwind side, the wind will make the turn steeper than usual so you need to account for it.
3) The wind will push the model after turn 1 and will help the model speed up. At this point you need to build your energy for turns 2 and 3. Extend you arm completely if possible
4) As you approach turn 2, the lines will begin to slack and you will not be able to make that turn unless you keep the tension up! Start contracting your arm and kneel. Shortening the flying radius transfers built up energy into model speed and line tension.
5) Turns 2 and 3 should be done very quickly one after the other. Turn 2 forces the model to turn hard into the wind which kills most of the energy. The more you stay up there the slower the model will get.

After turn 3, the model will be traveling down plus be pushed by the wind. This will translate into a lot of speed. Turn 4 will come very quick and suddenly. You need to keel the energy. Stand back up and extend your arm. If the wind is really strong, I go as far as make a step forward..

Overhead 8
Make a gradual entry from level flight. The key here is not to loose energy on the way up. Spend as little time flying into the wind by keeping the loops tight. Most pilots fly big overhead loops. DO NOT DESCEND BELOW 45!!! Large loops mean very long flight into the wind! Another trick is to contract the arm/kneel when flying into the wind and to release/stand on the downwind side of the loops. It is also VERY IMPORTANT that you fly the maneuver DIRECTLY overhead. This is again has to do with how much time you spend flying into the wind.

Clover
There is little you can do to keep the tension. All you have is make sure you don't cross 90 degrees on loops 1 and 3. Contract arm/kneel as needed to keep line tension, stand/release when wind is pushing the model to store the energy. On the final climb out, the model has lost the most energy, it's climbing AND flying into the wind. This is where models get lost. As soon as you cross 90 degrees, the maneuver is over and you can start the turn downwind.

Landing
Try to land on the down wind side as the wind as this will be where line tension is the highest.This is important since the model will start moving INTO the wind and will try to lift off. you need line tension to keep the model down on the ground. I usually aim for 5m before directly downwind as my landing point."

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:07:09 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
Takeoff:
Launch so that the wind is in the back of the model. The idea is have wind help the model accelerate(build up energy) on the downwind side(right side) of the circle. The goal is to get airborne just before you cross over from downwind to upwind side of the circle. The reason for doing it before crossing over is that you will need to establish gradual climb before you get to the up wind side. Once you're on the upwind side, the model will begin to slow down. slow = poor response to control inputs. If you are not established on the climb out, it will be difficult to change direction on the upwind side. As a general rule, the model will respond slower to control inputs on the upwind side of the circle.

I thought I might add a little input here.

If you decide to take off with the wind on the back of the model be prepared that any up elevator before model is at speed will tip it over and eat the prop.  I have seen this time and time and time and time and time again at all levels of flying from the nats top 20 day down to the weekend sport session.  So many carbon props, many that can't be duplicated, torn up during this type of launch. Wind from behind the model hinders the surfaces effectiveness.  They actually work opposite of what they are supposed to do.

What works for me on high wind days is to take off dead down wind or just a few feet past dead down wind.  Prior to release level the elevator and keep the model level as it comes up to speed.  The wind will help it lift off ground faster than normal but you will have control over it with a simple step back if needed.  Or you can feed a little down into it and keep it on the ground until it is up to speed and then lift off.  You have to be off of the ground prior top 1/4 lap anyway so you can be up before the wind is directly into the models face.  I was once told a very long time ago these "These things were built to fly so get it in air, QUICKLY!"  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:52:27 PM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »
I might repitch the prop to 3.75" but will see.

Hi Joe, I know a little about this design (LOL).  Lots of very good flyers are giving you excellent advise.

(1) I would suggest that you put the leadouts in the location indicated in the instruction book, then add 1/4 ounce of additional tip weight.  (At 1 ounce of tip weight you should see the outboard wing drop in a triangle or square loop.  If not, add another 1/4 ounce of tip weight until it dose just that.  Then remove small amounts of tip weight until the wing drop is gone).

(2) Change the prop to a 11" X 4, the lap times of the P-Force need to be around the 5.0 to 5.2 for best performance.  The Grish black 10" X 4" is a great prop so if you can find one, by all means get one and try it.  The best prop that I found for a .36 is the Bolly 10.5" X 4.25 undercamber (killer).

(3} C.G. The C.G. should be around 2" back from the leading edge.  At 2-5/16" it will be a little jumpy and not groove as well

(4) The line length should be around 61' to 62' from the center of the model to the center of the handle.

(5) Handle spacing on my P-Force was set at 3.75" for the best overall feel.

(6) Rudder offset is between 0 and a max of 1/8" to the out board side.

If you have the chance to let Allen fly it I'm sure he will come up with many of the same ideas and suggestions.

Later,
Mike Pratt (Mikey)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
Listen to Mikey and you will have one terrific flying plane.  I got mine as a short kit with plans years ago at  a VSC.  It is my go to plane when I want to get serious.  I know it is my best flying plane powering with an OS LA .25, using a power point 10-4.   Some times an APC 10-4 goes on in really windy weather.  I fly 60 foot .015 cable using a Fancher handle.  Right now it needs recovering after the demented poodle did her dance on the wing at Topeka one year.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it's been a long time since hearing from you Mike.  Where are you now and how are you doing?

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it's been a long time since hearing from you Mike.  Where are you now and how are you doing?

Yeah Mike...I second that.  How about a post telling us all what's up with you.

I don't want to get "Soupy", but we've missed you buddy!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »
I figured I oughta try to copy & paste the mysterious information I emailed to Joe. This was written by Mr. Ted Fancher, FYI. It seemed to me that Joe's setup might be improved by working on some of these suggestions, particularly items 1, 2, 3 & 4. Especially note the thoughts about the wingover! Thanks to Ted for putting this stuff in writting to help the rest of us.   y1  Steve

Thanks again Steve.  H^^  This is a much clearer version then the emailed one.

I don't want to argue with Ted's writings but I thought I might add a little input here.

If you decide to take off with the wind on the back of the model be prepared that any up elevator before model is at speed will tip it over and eat the prop.  

Good point!   I've seen that happen to others,  and has happened to me as well.

Hi Joe, I know a little about this design (LOL).  Lots of very good flyers are giving you excellent advise.

(1) I would suggest that you put the leadouts in the location indicated in the instruction book, then add 1/4 ounce of additional tip weight.  (At 1 ounce of tip weight you should see the outboard wing drop in a triangle or square loop.  If not, add another 1/4 ounce of tip weight until it dose just that.  Then remove small amounts of tip weight until the wing drop is gone).

(2) Change the prop to a 11" X 4, the lap times of the P-Force need to be around the 5.0 to 5.2 for best performance.  The Grish black 10" X 4" is a great prop so if you can find one, by all means get one and try it.  The best prop that I found for a .36 is the Bolly 10.5" X 4.25 undercamber (killer).

(3} C.G. The C.G. should be around 2" back from the leading edge.  At 2-5/16" it will be a little jumpy and not groove as well

(4) The line length should be around 61' to 62' from the center of the model to the center of the handle.

(5) Handle spacing on my P-Force was set at 3.75" for the best overall feel.

(6) Rudder offset is between 0 and a max of 1/8" to the out board side.

If you have the chance to let Allen fly it I'm sure he will come up with many of the same ideas and suggestions.

Later,
Mike Pratt (Mikey)

Thanks Mike.   H^^   much appreciate your input on this.  I have pretty much done the list above about a year ago (bench trim).. it just evolve to what I've posted above. but I'll try it again and see if I was going forward or backwards on that. The 2" CG seems way too nose heavy for my liking.. I would say min 2 3/16 - 2 1/4".  The plane flys good as is at this point.. it was just the RWO. and it seems the speed did help.   Alan watched one of my flights on Sunday, and his comment was too slow..  and that's with the 11x4 APC on a slightly slower 5.33 run.  but the heavy APC does upsets the airframe in the corners tho, as why I like the 10"Tornado 3B prop, and the Xoar wood props.  Sure would like to try the Bolly 10.5x4.25 if I could find one.  :)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
Joe, just a thought:

Set the CG to Mike's suggested 2", then before you say "dang, that's too slow" and move it, move the handle spacing out, even if it's more than Mike's recommendation.

I don't put a lot of weight on handle spacing, because different folks want different handle spacings -- I know* that I prefer a far narrower spacing than most other people I know, and it's because of the way I'm set up, not my airplanes.

* Based on loaning out my planes, and flying other people's.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
Joe, just a thought:

Set the CG to Mike's suggested 2", then before you say "dang, that's too slow" and move it, move the handle spacing out, even if it's more than Mike's recommendation.

I don't put a lot of weight on handle spacing, because different folks want different handle spacings -- I know* that I prefer a far narrower spacing than most other people I know, and it's because of the way I'm set up, not my airplanes.

* Based on loaning out my planes, and flying other people's.

Hi Tim,  I started out with CG at 2" , and it was damn scary to fly the precise 5' bottoms.  especially the exit of the hourglass..   I then slowly change little by little to where it works for me.. but around 2 1/4- 5/16" is pretty much at the very edge of from good to what Mike have mentioned " jumpy' !   The plane performs great as is..  it is just the RWO. Every time I change a prop.. the CG change anyways.  and yes, I weight everything I remove and replace including prop nuts etc.    *Edit: forgot to mention the handle spacing is already at 4 1/8"

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
I figured I oughta try to copy & paste the mysterious information I emailed to Joe. This was written by Mr. Ted Fancher, FYI. It seemed to me that Joe's setup might be improved by working on some of these suggestions, particularly items 1, 2, 3 & 4. Especially note the thoughts about the wingover! Thanks to Ted for putting this stuff in writting to help the rest of us.   y1  Steve

"There are things you need to do to prepare for flying in high winds. Most important concept to remember is that stunt flying is ALL about energy management. Converting kinetic energy into potential and back. Energy management is critical when flying in windy conditions. Here's what works for me:

Setup:

1) Don't bother flying nose heavy models in high winds. There is no way around this: the further forward CG(Center of Gravity) from CL(Center of Lift), the larger the arm of force, the mode wind will push the model around. Make sure models have CG where designer intended them. If unsure where it it should be, balance the model so that CG is 6-12mm in front(can someone verify that it's in FRONT and not BEHIND, I'm always fuzzy about this) of CL.
2) Never trim in high winds. Make sure to trim the model when winds are less than 5km.
3) if you are using 3 blade prop, switch to larger diameter 2-blade prop with SQUARE tips.
4) increase launch RPM's to get .1-.2 faster lap times.

Flying maneuvers:

Takeoff:

Level flight:
There is not much to do here but to prepare for one of the most difficult maneuvers: wingover. To do that, you need to build up momentum. Start accelerating the model by walking backward in circle, keeping the model in font of you. The last lap before the wingover you should be walking backward as fast as possible without tripping over.

Wingover
This is the most difficult maneuver because the model is heavy(full of fuel) and has forward CG. Make soft entries into turns 1 and 3.The entry should be as if you are starting a round circle rather than a typical square entry. Another critical component is to enter directly upwind. You have to abandon the notion that you can steer the model in high winds. No amount of corrections will make the model fly straight wingover if you did not enter directly downwind. If you miss the turn and the model starts move sideways, accept the error and fly the rest of the maneuver in the direction the wind is blowing.

Inside and outside round loops, Inside square loop
Flying round loops directly downwind will cause the model to move faster and faster with every loop. This is called the "windup" and it may cause the model go so fast that it will fly into the ground. Key here is to avoid windup by biasing the center of loops to the left of the downwind for inside loops and to the right for the outsides. Amount of bias is directly proportional to how high the winds are. More wind, more bias. Start by flying insides 3m past direct downwind. If you get the amount of bias correct, the model will fly loops as if there is no wind! Oh yes, one critical detail: NEVER FLY above 45 degrees!!! think of 45 as "do not cross" line. If you do, the lines will go slack and the model will be at the mercy of Boreas, the God of the Wind!
Outside Squares
Same bias rules apply as with round loops. At the entry into the maneuver, the model will be going very fast. Turning down will make it go even faster. There is very little you can do so be prepared to turn hard and quick. There is one very good trick to lower the entry speed to somewhere manageable: do not start climb to enter outsides until you are on the downwind side of the circle. Speed loss due to the climb will offset the speed gain provided by the wind on the downwind side. The steeper the climb, the slower the entry will be. Don't make it too slow though: slow = lack of control.

Triangle

Bias just like you would with rounds. The first turn will be on the upwind side and the wind will make the model turn harder that usual so there is no need to make that hard first turn. Let wind help you. The less you turn, the more energy you will have for turn 3.

Horizontal round and square 8

DO NOT BIAS! DO NOT FLY ABOVE 45! These maneuvers should be directly down wind. Be prepared for the model to slow down significantly at the top and adjust your timing accordingly. Most pilots develop a rhythm for squared 8's: evenly spaced turn, turn, turn. That rhythm is your enemy in high winds! Fly by watching position of the model instead.

Vertical 8

This seems to be the most difficult maneuver for most pilots because most pilots fly large inside loop which places the outside loop past 90 degrees. Past 90, there is not just the wind slowing it down, the wind s actually pushes it DOWN towards you! The key here is to keep inside loop tight below 45, directly downwind. Remember the wind up issue when flying round loops directly down wind? Well, here we NEED that wind up to build energy for the outside top loop! Another key element here is to keep line tension up. One way to do it is to shorten the lines. I typically fly with my hand almost extended. When flying the outside loop, I bring the handle closer to my chest and begin to I will begin to kneel on one knee. What this does is decrease the radius of the circle the model flies which increases line tension. Stand back up and move the hand to regular position for the down side.

Hourglass

Unlike other maneuvers that have just one or two tricks to keep flying, hourglass needs 5 tricks!
1) Build up energy by walking backwards like just like you did for the wingover. slowly build up the speed, so that you are walking the fastest during the last 1/4 lap before turn 1.
2) make a shallow turn up. Since turn 1 takes place on the upwind side, the wind will make the turn steeper than usual so you need to account for it.
3) The wind will push the model after turn 1 and will help the model speed up. At this point you need to build your energy for turns 2 and 3. Extend you arm completely if possible
4) As you approach turn 2, the lines will begin to slack and you will not be able to make that turn unless you keep the tension up! Start contracting your arm and kneel. Shortening the flying radius transfers built up energy into model speed and line tension.
5) Turns 2 and 3 should be done very quickly one after the other. Turn 2 forces the model to turn hard into the wind which kills most of the energy. The more you stay up there the slower the model will get.

After turn 3, the model will be traveling down plus be pushed by the wind. This will translate into a lot of speed. Turn 4 will come very quick and suddenly. You need to keel the energy. Stand back up and extend your arm. If the wind is really strong, I go as far as make a step forward..

Overhead 8
Make a gradual entry from level flight. The key here is not to loose energy on the way up. Spend as little time flying into the wind by keeping the loops tight. Most pilots fly big overhead loops. DO NOT DESCEND BELOW 45!!! Large loops mean very long flight into the wind! Another trick is to contract the arm/kneel when flying into the wind and to release/stand on the downwind side of the loops. It is also VERY IMPORTANT that you fly the maneuver DIRECTLY overhead. This is again has to do with how much time you spend flying into the wind.

Clover
There is little you can do to keep the tension. All you have is make sure you don't cross 90 degrees on loops 1 and 3. Contract arm/kneel as needed to keep line tension, stand/release when wind is pushing the model to store the energy. On the final climb out, the model has lost the most energy, it's climbing AND flying into the wind. This is where models get lost. As soon as you cross 90 degrees, the maneuver is over and you can start the turn downwind.

Landing
Try to land on the down wind side as the wind as this will be where line tension is the highest.This is important since the model will start moving INTO the wind and will try to lift off. you need line tension to keep the model down on the ground. I usually aim for 5m before directly downwind as my landing point."

Steve,

Not sure where you got this material but it isn't what is in the Fly Like a Champion articles.  It's similar in format but contains items (such as the takeoff position in the wind) with which I disagree.  I also noticed dimensions in metric figures which I've never used to the best of my recollection.

It's not bad at all but I'd prefer that my original stuff be quoted so I don't have to debate things I haven't espoused myself.

Shareen mentioned that she keyed the original stuff for me some years ago.  I'll look through my stack of discs to see if that's so and if it is I'll repost that.  It won't, however, contain the graphics that were in the magazine.

No big deal!  I'm not complaining, just wanted the facts to be straight.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
I don't want to argue with Ted's writings but I thought I might add a little input here.

If you decide to take off with the wind on the back of the model be prepared that any up elevator before model is at speed will tip it over and eat the prop.  I have seen this time and time and time and time and time again at all levels of flying from the nats top 20 day down to the weekend sport session.  So many carbon props, many that can't be duplicated, torn up during this type of launch. Wind from behind the model hinders the surfaces effectiveness.  They actually work opposite of what they are supposed to do.

What works for me on high wind days is to take off dead down wind or just a few feet past dead down wind.  Prior to release level the elevator and keep the model level as it comes up to speed.  The wind will help it lift off ground faster than normal but you will have control over it with a simple step back if needed.  Or you can feed a little down into it and keep it on the ground until it is up to speed and then lift off.  You have to be off of the ground prior top 1/4 lap anyway so you can be up before the wind is directly into the models face.  I was once told a very long time ago these "These things were built to fly so get it in air, QUICKLY!"  

Doug,

I agree 100%.  Whoever wrote what Steve  posted may have used my articles as a resource for some of what he wrote but the writing and quite a bit of the theory/practice is somewhat in conflict with my articles.

Ted

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:32:21 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »

Thanks Mike.   H^^   much appreciate your input on this.  I have pretty much done the list above about a year ago (bench trim).. it just evolve to what I've posted above. but I'll try it again and see if I was going forward or backwards on that. The 2" CG seems way too nose heavy for my liking.. I would say min 2 3/16 - 2 1/4".  The plane flys good as is at this point.. it was just the RWO. and it seems the speed did help.   Alan watched one of my flights on Sunday, and his comment was too slow..  and that's with the 11x4 APC on a slightly slower 5.33 run.  but the heavy APC does upsets the airframe in the corners tho, as why I like the 10"Tornado 3B prop, and the Xoar wood props.  Sure would like to try the Bolly 10.5x4.25 if I could find one.  :)

Joe, Please check out my notes to Doug and Steve.  If you read my articles (I know the scans are tough) you'll see the content is significantly different.

Ted

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »
Ted, all I did was run it through SpellCheck...and was surprised to find some errors. I didn't notice the mealy meters! While I don't recall where I got it, it must have been online someplace, possibly the Australian stunt website, or maybe an English one. It is a puzzler. Looks like somebody (else) changed your article a little. I will edit your name out of the post and off the file!

Opinions seem to vary on the launching position...at NW Regionals, I let Keith Varley (my pit guy) influence me and almost lost my airplane. My ideal would be to launch just short of straight downwind about 15' or so...wish I had done that. After, I realized that Keith gets away with it because of his LH prop/ePower. Even if I was to have his power system, I still wouldn't do that again! Scary!!!  H^^ Steve

Edit: I went back to the original file and didn't see that it was attributed to Ted at all! I'm so sorry! I was looking for the article Ted refers to in his post and apparently leaped to that conclusion...wrong!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:53:12 PM by Steve Helmick »

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »

Hi Paul and Randy,

I'm doing pretty good for the most part.  I am back in Minnesota freezing my @#$ off and had to purchase a new snow blower to get out of the house (LOL).  After Patrica passed, I moved back to be around the kids and grand kids and watch them grow up.  I do really miss all my old friends and enjoyed their friendship's.

I met a wonderful lady, Lois (retired Air Force).  We hit it off from the first and enjoy eachothers company and share many interests.  She even puts up with me making a big mess on the kitchen table building models (now that's way cool).   

Later,
Mikey

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »

Hi Joe,
The 2" CG is the best place to start then, and trim to fit your needs is the best.  5.33 lap times are still a little slow so cut 1' or 2' foot of line length to get the laps times to 5.0 or 5.1.  Contact Steve Wilks "Elimnator Products" to purchase a 10.5 X 4.25 undercamber C/F prop.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
Ted, all I did was run it through SpellCheck...and was surprised to find some errors. I didn't notice the mealy meters! While I don't recall where I got it, it must have been online someplace, possibly the Australian stunt website, or maybe an English one. It is a puzzler. Looks like somebody (else) changed your article a little. I will edit your name out of the post and off the file!

Edit: I went back to the original file and didn't see that it was attributed to Ted at all! I'm so sorry! I was looking for the article Ted refers to in his post and apparently leaped to that conclusion...wrong!

Hi Steve, I just did a search and found my old post..  "Techniques for flying in the wind.." looks like it's from Stephen Yampolsky.  reply #11   http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=16949.msg155855;topicseen#msg155855

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »

Hi Joe,
The 2" CG is the best place to start then, and trim to fit your needs is the best.  5.33 lap times are still a little slow so cut 1' or 2' foot of line length to get the laps times to 5.0 or 5.1.  Contact Steve Wilks "Elimnator Products" to purchase a 10.5 X 4.25 undercamber C/F prop.

Later,
Mikey

I'll try a little more speed (5.15 lap time) and see how that goes, before cutting the lines.  I asummed the 10.5x4.25 is a 2-blade?    
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:51:59 PM by Joe Yau »

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »

Hi Steve, I just did a search and found my old post..  "Techniques for flying in the wind.." looks like it's from Stephen Yampolsky.  reply #11   http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=16949.msg155855;topicseen#msg155855

Joe and Steve,

really, no worries at all.  It's just a matter of attribution with respect to a handful of things on which Steve and I differ.

I got to know Steve pretty well judging at the last Nats and enjoyed his company and was pleased that, during the warm-up/training flight talkarounds, we tended to see pretty much the same things; tending to concentrate on maneuver shapes rather than individual aspects--believing that if the shapes (and sizes) were right the rest of the stuff pretty much falls in line.  We did have some "spirited" discussions about how to assess the point deductions for what we were seeing alike but, to his credit, he continued to assess the tricks his way consistently from the start to the end of the contest...which is the only fair way to do it.  I've no idea whether my input affected his later judging efforts.  I was, of course, right and Steve wrong but I'll eventually get him straightened out. >:D >:D >:D  KIDDDINGG!

Ted

Edited to repair a name error.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
I just uploaded a few videos from last week's sessions.  Here are a few short clips on corners (in slow motion)  from my first flight last Sunday..  5.25/lap with the Tornado 10x4 3-blade prop.  Even though the camera was aimed off to one side,  you could at least  see the last corner..  :)

Inside Square Maneuver (slow motion):

Inside Square Maneuver (normal speed):

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:22:31 PM by Joe Yau »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2014, 08:25:02 AM »
The second video shows the plane flying a little faster to this old mans eye balls.  The first video the plane is much too slow.   Each plane has a speed it likes to fly at.  Control lap times with line length.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
The second video shows the plane flying a little faster to this old mans eye balls.  The first video the plane is much too slow.   Each plane has a speed it likes to fly at.  Control lap times with line length.

Hi John, both of the video are the same.. the first one is in slow motion for to see the turn closer. and the second one is the original speed it was flown at. 

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
Love that slow motion! y1 y1

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here