Blank

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:32:15 PM by Air Master »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: EBay selling requirements!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 05:33:09 PM »
  Well, if that is true then I'm done as a buyer. I have never sold anything on eVilBay, but have really cut back my buying also. I have been finding enough stuff locally on Craig's List or FB Market place. No, DO NOT give them your SS number!! I thought that one of the reasons they bough PayPal was to make things easier for everyone ?? Some of the people I have purchased stuff from on FB Market Place have quit using PP also. and moved on t other services. I guess I'll have t find out who those are.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George S

• 24 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 05:52:08 PM »
By law, they have to have your SSN for managed payments. They are complying with U.S. Anti-money laundering regulations, specifically the Bank Secrecy Act and more specifically the Customer Identification Program requirement. All financial institutions (which include services beyond just banks) are required to identify and verify the identity of their customers. Part of that process involves obtaining your SSN.
Ebay is also required to have systems to protect your personal information, such as your SSN (this is called PCI Compliance). Those systems are independently audited at least annually, but breaches certainly do happen but less so than in the past. Breaches are usually at businesses that were storing your information when they didn’t need to be (and thus were not being audited for PCI compliance) – they should have relied on only the financial services party to have that info.
George S 

AMA 9385

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 07:06:18 PM »
Hello,

EBay is going to stop using paypal.  They want everyone who sells on EBay to give them direct access to your bank account and give your Social Security number.  Additionally, they bill you before the customer pays for the item you sold. 

I, as many others, have decided I'm not giving EBay my social security number, so 21 years of selling on EBay are over.

What you (much smarter than me) guys think?

Russell

"I'd rather tell you how much my wife weighs than telling you how much my models weigh."

You must have a "light" wife!  LL~ LL~ LL~

As far as eBay goes, I still sell but, I have a separate account for it.

Jerry

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 08:00:24 PM »
 I just bought a audio receiver on ebay. Seller sent it in a display box and it was destroyed. Seller did not want i5 back . Ebay sent me a mailing label and told me to return it. I did and got refund of price and shipping. Seller paid for it both ways. Ebay  put my money in pay pal
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 10:30:32 PM »
By law, they have to have your SSN for managed payments. They are complying with U.S. Anti-money laundering regulations, specifically the Bank Secrecy Act and more specifically the Customer Identification Program requirement. All financial institutions (which include services beyond just banks) are required to identify and verify the identity of their customers. Part of that process involves obtaining your SSN.
Ebay is also required to have systems to protect your personal information, such as your SSN (this is called PCI Compliance). Those systems are independently audited at least annually, but breaches certainly do happen but less so than in the past. Breaches are usually at businesses that were storing your information when they didn’t need to be (and thus were not being audited for PCI compliance) – they should have relied on only the financial services party to have that info.

y1

I've been selling on eBay for more than 20 years.  Fact is, my social security number - and yours -- are probably available to about a jillion parties with all the data breaches we've had.  And, yes, everybody and his brother is now or will soon be required to report about every penny they send you ...

I wasn't pleased when eBay announced their "Managed Payments" program, but truth is it's working out really seamlessly.

That said, I've told eBay many times and still maintain their "ethics" are best described as "Take the money and run!"  Until something better comes along though, I'll stick with them (and their clearly idiot programmers, who still can't manage problems I've screamed about for years).  Foreign buyers in particular greatly increase prices on many items I sell.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 07:43:40 AM »
   I was thinking last night after first reading the original post that it sounded familiar, and I think this has been in motion for a long time. It is a way to tax everything that is sold on eBay and get at the people that do it recreationally for side money. Lots of people buy stuff cheap at yard sales and such, then resell on eBay. There have been many books written on how to do it. Some people make some serious money on the side and don't declare it on their taxes, and now they are closing that loop hole.  It's been funny watching all these hacked speeches Biden is try to give about making corporations "pay their fair share" when he's one of the biggest tax dodgers on the planet. I have read a couple of articles on how he and Dr. Jill have moved all sorts of assets off shore in advance of the tax hikes he's pushing. But you won't see that on the Lame Stream Media!!  eBay will probably go on as a high end type of market place where a lot more items and materials other than Green Box Noblers change hands. Just another example of the little guy getting trampled on
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »
I just opened some exotic musical instrument wood bought through eBay and did none of this stuff, also used Paypal for it.  ???
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 06:11:44 PM »
Aah, I understand now.  Well, I guess it's back to my previous wood suppliers and less choices for the exotic goodies.
Thanks for the info! H^^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 08:00:34 AM »
Clarifying one point, both PayPal and eBay are required to obtain an SSN and issue a 1099-K if sales reach a certain level.  That level varies, and is set not only by the Feds, but also by states. 

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 09:13:21 AM »
I just sold some old model train transformers, and was given that deadline notice.  I don't plan on updating my info.  I will just be done. 2500 plus transactions, and screw them and Biden for that matter. 
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 10:34:33 AM »
As I understand it it's a sellers requirement not a buyer's requirement.  I don't sell so I guess I DON'T CARE!   S?P
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 12:00:17 PM »
I may have said this before, but wish Ebay had stayed an auction out let in stead of a vendors outlet.  Also wish politicians would have left them alone as far as taxing every thing.   S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »
I may have said this before, but wish Ebay had stayed an auction out let in stead of a vendors outlet.  Also wish politicians would have left them alone as far as taxing every thing.   S?P
Murphy's 3rd corollary:  "All good things will eventually be ruined by making them better" 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here