News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:06:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: eBay - hard to figure out bidders.  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
eBay - hard to figure out bidders.
« on: February 06, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
In my never ending quest to raise money for the Brodak museum, I come across some strange things.

In my present listing, I have a NEW McCoy 35 Red Head. No box, no instructions. Bid to $50.00.   ???  :o

I also have a NEW IN BOX Super Tiger 60 WITH a factory muffler. Bid to $36.19. And, it comes with a FREE venturi if the buyer flys CL.  n~  n~

Go figure!!!!   HB~>  HB~>

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: eBay - hard to figure out bidders.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
How is it listed ?( Title?) And what is the item ##

Thanks, Jerry

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:00 PM »
ST 60 is item number 122944445504

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
In my never ending quest to raise money for the Brodak museum, I come across some strange things.

In my present listing, I have a NEW McCoy 35 Red Head. No box, no instructions. Bid to $50.00.   ???  :o

I also have a NEW IN BOX Super Tiger 60 WITH a factory muffler. Bid to $36.19. And, it comes with a FREE venturi if the buyer flys CL.  n~  n~

Go figure!!!!   HB~>  HB~>

Bob, I've been selling on der Bay for 18 years now.  You'll go nuts trying to figure out bidders ... wait a minute, you're already cl nut!

Some things I generally believe:

(1) The number of watchers you have is much more revealing than the number of bids or bidders, especially on something of significant value.  The McCoy would probably be at or near it's final price quickly; don't be surprised if the SuperTigre doubles in the last five minutes.

(2) When you end the auction is REALLY significant.  Late afternoon & evening Sunday or Thursday evening are probably best.  (Years ago, I had my office in an insurance agent's suite; he explained to me why agents like to make calls on Thursdays ... if that sounds strange, try calling for service or to ask an accommodation on a Thursday afternoon.  In general, you'll find people unusually receptive.)

(3) Accept that what you and I consider to be a reasonable value on anything has about as much to do with the final price in an auction as ... well, I can't think of anything!

(4) Timing is everything.  A couple of years ago I listed an older 1/2-A kit I considered to be worth at least $35, so I started it at $34.95.  No bids.  Ran it another week at the same starting price, no bids.  What the heck, I ran it again a few weeks later - many bids, sold for something like $78.  Go figure!

Good luck with your project, appreciate your efforts and also the good stuff you post here!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »
When one is selling engines on Ebay, there are basically two kinds of sellers:

First is someone who, for some unexplained reason, has found a stash of engines at auction or at an estate sale (how they find these, I don't know).  They pretend to know nothing about the condition or completeness. Perhaps they know exactly what they have, and pretend to know nothing in order to protect their ass.

Others,like me, know exactly what they have.  they have run the engine, know the market, and they personally guarantee that their description is completely accurate.

I have never sold on E-bay, but have sold engines and other related products on other forums, without any complaints.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »
As others have said before you could have posted engines here in the classifieds and set a acceptable selling price. On Ebay you take your chances and will have to provide the items at what ever price they bring. You may consider setting a Reserve price of the items but of course you pay for that privilege. Also take note that you should not post on line your dissatisfaction with how your auctions are going on Ebay. Someone could use that information to file a complaint with Ebay claiming that you are soliciting shill bids. Also while you did not provide a direct link to your Ebay auctions, for all practical purposes you have done just that as others have provided all the information needed to get to your Ebay Auction. That having been said, most serious Ebay buyers do not place bids early. Serious buyers will sit and wait till the final minutes or even seconds before putting up their final bids as they do not want to get into a bidding war where it becomes all about winning rather than getting something they need or would like. Early bids are there just testing the waters. And as said the number of watchers is a better indication of an items desirability rather than the current bid value.

When I search  for something I need or I would like to buy on Ebay, I most often don't even bother with the auctions, I search out Buy it Now and see if it is listed at a price that I can live with. If ever I do bid on a auction I wait until the clock winds down to the last 4 or 5 seconds before bidding, and bid the price I am willing to pay, If I win great, if I lose its fine by me as well, as I really do not have the patience to get into a free for all bidding war
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Matthew Brown

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:18:37 AM »
Nothing to worry about on that ST 60! I bid on it a while but hardly anyone goes all in until the last 5 minutes or so. Any time I see something going cheap I stick a bid on. If nothing else, I’ll get to see what it finally sells for. I’ve never won with one of these low bids. No telling how high I may bid up, but at the moment I have no need for a .60.

Matt

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:29:15 AM »
Hi all.

I am with you Matt. Hard to see some jewels rubished in EBay.....

A real shame the good Bob does´n sell overseas, but I understand that.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
Not to worry Robert. I'm betting you get over $200 for it in the "LAST" 10 seconds or so.

Nice engine!

Jerry

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:30:23 AM »
A couple of years ago a friend and I were talking about all the things we had purchased on eBay. He asked me if I had sold anything on eBay. I said, 'SELL'!!  I had never though of that.
Jim Kraft

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
I have been an e-bay buyer for decades now but only ever sold one set of 4 hand held radios.... they went at last minuet for a LOT more than I ever imagined....I mean well over 200% of brand new item that was still available to buy

Took me a long while to stop getting in the bidding frenzy and now pretty much only play BUY IT NOW

Auction and bidding frenzy psychology is an interesting to me phenomenon since I was so guilty of WIN at ANY cost bidding

Thought about professional help but wife helped for free... stop searching Fred...you have more stuff right now than you can ever play with
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
The last items I sold on Ebay barely paid the shipping.  I too when I see something of value that I can use with a 'Buy it now' listing I will grab it.   Then I see items that look like they are not going for much I put a bid on for what  I think is a fair price.  Remember I started years ago when kits were $5.00 for a Ringmaster and new .35's were $15.95.   Then I see what final price is on an item and think I should get a commission. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »
If you can still do it, you should just list them with a "reserve" price.
That way you get the best of both worlds-
You get at least what you think is a fair amount, but you could get much more.
If you don't get the reserve price, relist it, or list it here in the classifieds.

Just a suggestion.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:04:09 PM »
Since we're talking about Ebay,in my estimation, the most interesting stuff (that we like) is sold by a vendor named GATAFISH. He's 100% all the way. I met him once at an estate auction in Pa. I have purchased stuff from him. When he saw I was bidding on a Pica FW 190 kit ,he backed off. A real gentleman.....PhillySkip

Matthew Brown

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 06:56:52 PM »
So, was your ST60 selling price satisfactory? My cash flow has been rather tight lately. I was out once it crossed the $100 barrier.

Matt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here