News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:17:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: East Coast Oldie Goldies  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
East Coast Oldie Goldies
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »
Several years ago Larry D. hosted the ECOG contest.  Since VSC is "QUITE" a ways from North by God Carolina, we thought it would be nice to emulate the VSC in our area.  Not to steal the VSC thunder, but to allow some of the guys who cannot make the trek to get in on a taste of the fun.

I believe the concept is a good one, and would work again.
It would not be set to interfere anywhere near the dates of VSC, Brodak's or the NATS.

Any ideas??

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Patterson

• New Pilot
Re: East Coast Oldie Goldies
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:36:35 AM »
Bill     Good idea would like to help if i can.  j1

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 03:26:18 PM »
Thanks, Mike!

Anyone else have an idea, pro or con, about this?????????

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
Hi Bill,    You may also remember the East Coast Vintage meet held in Winston Salem, NC. I think Tom Dixon organized it. The Metrolina Control line Society
helped Tom with manpower. I spent the weekend judging classic with Bob Baron.
North Carolina has the advantage of being apx. half way from the northeast to
Florida to keep drive times more reasonable. The Huntersville flying site is a much
better facility than Winston to handle a big meet.  You could get volunteers from
the local MCLS club as well regional volunteers so manpower shouldn't be a major
problem. There are however, 2 issues that have to be handled :
1. Startup Funding:  Once a contest is established entry fees can sustain most of
the costs of future events but the initial outlay must come from somewhere.
Usually it is club dues or etc. I don't know if MCLS would want to take on funding
such an event. So Bill, funding needs to be figured out.  Maybe you could organize an "east coast stunt association" to support this event.
2.  Scheduling :  You need to avoid schedule conflicts not only with southeast events but with popular events in the northeast , Florida, Tenn. and other states
you hope to draw participants from. The VSC has the advantage of having almost
no other contests to compete against.  It isn't impossible to do just difficult.
So Bill, I think it is a great idea to bring to bring a big event back to Carolina , but
these a some of the details that would need to be worked out to bring your vision to reality. I admire thinking "BIG".
                                                                             Wish you well,
                                                                               Pat Robinson

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
Good Idea Bill,

But Lets keep it closer to AL that Myrtle Beach SC or even Huntersville NC this time???  Pretty Please....  Maybe Someplace like Knoxville or Chattanooga TN??  Maybe
Lexington???  Oh fooey..  If Tom and I can get the flying feild build here in the next year or two??? - we would put it on ouselves in Anniston!

Good dates are - - around Sept 25th  or April 16th as long as it's not Easter!

Jim Pollock   ;)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 07:46:12 PM »
Years ago (12?), Kermit Weeks opened Fantasy of Flight:  http://www.fantasyofflight.com/
I was there as it opened and spoke with him about having a contest there....he knows what controline is, and what contests are and thought that it would be a nifty idea....
Fantasy of Flight is in Lakeland, about 45 miles from Mickey World, and the venue is terrific!
Lakeland is a nice town...it all hosts the EAA Sun-n Fun fly-in and some Spring Training games for baseball...It's inland enough that hurricanes are a lot less threatening and Florida is a LOT nicer in the early Spring that the Carolina's (sorry...but true)
Hold it within a week or two of VSC so that foreign visitors can hit two venues....
Thoughts

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 08:40:47 PM »
Pat, Jim, Rich, thanks.

I always thought it was a very good idea, but the timing just wasn't right previously. 

I haven't even gotten to the stage as to where i woulod ask at the Huntersville meetings, it is just a feeling out process right now.

Is the fact that there IS a VSC already and no one would care to have a second "similar" event on this side of the world a factor?  I know guys from all over the East coast go to Tuscon.  Would there be a *chance* that any of the West Coast guys would travel to a place on the East Coast?  Or are we talking limited traveling funds, etc., ?

We do have Brodak's in the NE, the NATS in Muncie, and the VSC in the West.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 06:37:37 AM »
Bill:

Sounds like a great idea.  Go for it.  I think the Huntersville site would be great.

Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here