News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:40:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Duracell Batteries Leak!  (Read 542 times)

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Duracell Batteries Leak!
« on: January 09, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
This was talked about last summer on a Post titled "Re: Dry cell glow starter".

I used to be a loyal Duracell user.  Used to.  I have had numerous occasions of batteries leaking and making a mess.  ALL of them have been Duracell.  Between home and work, probably a dozen or more devices.  Some past the date on the battery, some not.  Last night it was the electronic thermostat at home.  The T-stat still worked but not the back light.  Significant leakage on all batteries.  Duracell again.

I have switched to Energizers.  Haven't had any of them leak.

Duracell must have changed something, not for the better.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Re: Duracell Batteries Leak!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
Don't kid yourself, energizers leak too. The lithium primary cells are better.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Duracell Batteries Leak!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:27 PM »
This was talked about last summer on a Post titled "Re: Dry cell glow starter".

I used to be a loyal Duracell user.  Used to.  I have had numerous occasions of batteries leaking and making a mess.  ALL of them have been Duracell.  Between home and work, probably a dozen or more devices.  Some past the date on the battery, some not.  Last night it was the electronic thermostat at home.  The T-stat still worked but not the back light.  Significant leakage on all batteries.  Duracell again.

I have switched to Energizers.  Haven't had any of them leak.

Duracell must have changed something, not for the better.

Most of them leak, but Duracell seems to be the worst. There are posts after posts on the Antique radio forum about it. Since they are alkaline, the damage is minimal and can be cleaned with vinegar, then water. Still, it's really irritating.

Rechargable cells almost never leak, and are a good option if you don't mind the slightly lower voltage. Most consumer devices are designed to handle down to about 1.0V per cell terminal voltage (1.0 volts on a AA cell, 6V on a 9 volt transistor battery, etc) and NiMH are around 1.35 at full charge (vice 1.5V). They won't last as long as an alkaline but you can recharge them, so no harm aside from emergency situations.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here