News:

• May 10, 2024, 11:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wish me some luck guys..  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wish me some luck guys..
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
Next Friday my right wrist goes under the knife for carple tunnel surgery.  The timing is perfect just a month before VSC, I am still not sure if I will be able to fly at VSC.  I am thinking of just entering the Classic event and stay for the banquet.  I look forward to VSC every year and then to have this pop up.  From the looks of things the left wrist is next, but I can live with it for a while longer. 
Andy :-[
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
Re: Wish me some luck guys..
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
Next Friday my right wrist goes under the knife for carple tunnel surgery.  The timing is perfect just a month before VSC, I am still not sure if I will be able to fly at VSC.  I am thinking of just entering the Classic event and stay for the banquet.  I look forward to VSC every year and then to have this pop up.  From the looks of things the left wrist is next, but I can live with it for a while longer. 
I dodged surgery on mine about 11 years ago....couldn't get ready for it.....and now the problem seems to have disappeared. Anyway, good luck with yours.  H^^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »
Start flying left handed?

Good luck!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Good luck and heal quickly.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Good luck Andy. Tell the doc to put some "heal fast" in there b4 he closes it up......

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »
Good luck, they came a long way with this surgery. Just have him put a cable in while he doing surgery, just make sure it passes the AMA handle rule.   

Steve

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
Heartfelt good luck Andy!  Hate to have to see you go to the "Dark Side" to continue flying!   S?P
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »
I wish you all the luck in the world.. Unfortunantly the facts supporting carple Tunnel surgury arent positive.

I hope it all goes well for you.

You might have all the facts at hand, but its best to know everything about whats going on.
Good news is complications only occur rarely - its getting full use back thats the issue.

From the website :
Full restoration is achieved in less than 60% of surgeries. Downtime and rehabiliation generally range from six weeks to three months, but can take over a year, depending on how many lingering symptoms result and the degree of scar tissue formation as this primary ligament in the hand heals back together.
It is not uncommon for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Symptoms to return within two years of surgery, even when surgery goes well, if repetitive stress activities continue through routine use of a person's hands at work or at home. When Symptoms return, hand surgeons will consider performing a second surgery.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
Good luck Andy! I don't know what procedure they are going to do on you, but there is this hand doctor from Houston that developed this endoscopic process that is outpatient, 1 small incision,no stitches, and only 7 days recovery for full use of hand. Its called the Brown Procedure, supposedly world reknown and preferred over other methods.Maybe something like this could help you make those contests in time?

http://www.brownhandcenter.com/locations/index-new.php

Maybe theres an hand doc around your neck of the woods that uses this unique procedure. I have a drummer friend that used them several years ago and he's still drumming strong. Good luck!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
Thanks guys for all the kind words.  I will let you know how things turn out.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
I wish you all the luck in the world.. Unfortunantly the facts supporting carple Tunnel surgury arent positive.

I hope it all goes well for you.

You might have all the facts at hand, but its best to know everything about whats going on.
Good news is complications only occur rarely - its getting full use back thats the issue.

From the website :
Full restoration is achieved in less than 60% of surgeries. Downtime and rehabiliation generally range from six weeks to three months, but can take over a year, depending on how many lingering symptoms result and the degree of scar tissue formation as this primary ligament in the hand heals back together.
It is not uncommon for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Symptoms to return within two years of surgery, even when surgery goes well, if repetitive stress activities continue through routine use of a person's hands at work or at home. When Symptoms return, hand surgeons will consider performing a second surgery.

Way to give encouragement...so he's supposed to do nothing and just let it get completely debilitating? (If it isn't there already). 

There is virtually NO surgical procedure of any kind (knee, lasik, cataract implant, etc.) that will return one to full normal function.  IMPROVEMENT is the goal. 
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:30:16 AM »
Andy,

Best of luck with your operation and hope you have a full and speedy recovery!

-Chris

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
Hi Andy,
I had the Carpel Tunnel Surgery about eight years ago.
Long story short, I healed perfectly after about three months.
Before the surgery my hand would go numb and I would lose feeling and dexterity. The doctor said it was most likely from years of swinging a bat that caused it.
Eight years later, I have no pain or numbness.

Take care of yourself and I'll see you at the next SoCal contest. ( VD~ Pass along my regards to Antone VD~)

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »
Good luck with your surgery, I'm sure it'll go fine and you'll recover in no time!
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »
 Hello Andy
                    I had carpal tunnel surgery in my right hand in 1982 and I recovered well. I followed my surgeons instructions and recovered flexibility as good as normal. I did the excersices he told me to do and it worked real good. I fly right handed and have no problem with strength in the hand either. Good luck and prompt recovery from your surgery
                                                                                                                Juan

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
Good Luck Andy
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
Hey I wasnt trying to be negative.

My partner is a nurse, and according to her, the worst thing you can do is to let people know "pillow facts" when going for surgury. Pillow facts are soft and fluffy facts and mistruthes. Some Medical practioneers try to give these Pillow facts such as ( RANDOM EXAMPLE :
 " well in the 10 surguries Ive had no complications When out of 1000 Surguries he performed there is a 5% unsuccesful rate. thats 50 people.. But opposite to that you wouldnt say " Well I have done 50 of these that all failed. .. People appreciate honesty - just let people know the FACTS, and whatever will be - Will be.  D>K

All I did was quote from a website which was Factual information on Carple Tunnel surgery. I offered my sincere support an I do hope we see him back flying - nothing negative, just facts along with my support for a speedy recovery.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline mike hartung

• aeronut
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »
Best of luck with your surgery. I hope you heal fast. H^^
blue skys and tail winds to all.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:35 AM »
best wishes, Andy!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
Has anyone else ever heard of taking Vitamin B12 to help this?   ???  Good Luck Andy  :)
AMA 59633

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Has anyone else ever heard of taking Vitamin B12 to help this?   ???  Good Luck Andy  :)
That may in fact be what helped mine......and wearing one of those God-forsaken wrist braces with the aluminum stay in it. But I didn't hafta get the surgery....that would have cut my M/C-ing trips down considerably. As it turns out, I caught RMSTF [tick fever] and it pretty much did me in. Took over a year to diagnose me. :P
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »
Luck!
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
Good Luck Andy, I'm sure you will be back in the center of the circle soon.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »
  Good luck Andy , hoping you will make VSC like you planned , and no more competing and judging on the same day !
     Cheers, Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
If gentleman Bob Whitely can fly after shoulder surgery you surely can after a little wrist cutting.   LL~ LL~Really take care of your self and follow your doctors orders.  Will look for you at VSC with your gorgeous girl friend/wife. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Lester Nicholson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »
My memory is not what it used to be but aprox. 15 years ago my only hope for relief was surgrey on both wrists. Then a lady at church turned me on to vitamin B-12 (don't remember the dose) and within a few short weeks the pain started to fade and my wrist pain has been gone since '99. Now I maintain with TriVita SUBLINGUAL B-12. Just sayin' - Good luck - prayin' for you.        Nick

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
Would that work for knees??  Hate to think of surgery as I have seen some that were good for a while and then became worse.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
Best wishes for you I hope everything works out.
Bob
ama 5871

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »
Best wishes and I'll see you at VSC!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »
Well I sent off my VSC paper work yesterday and made reservations at the hotel.  I am only going to fly Classic this year, but as Doc said if RJ can do it I can do it.   Now if I could just fly like Bob, that'll be the day! ;D
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
Andy, I had it done to both wrists, my procedure was where they cut the ligament across the heel of the hand to loosen the tension around the carpal bones. I'd do it again in a heart beat, I still do get a bit of soreness from time to time if I do heavy work, but I blame old age more then the surgery. I even got so I trust them to actually pull 5 foot bottoms! No more contractures or falling asleep at night and my hands are now warmer then they were prior as well.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
Oh Yeah Randy; Ya just had to bring up the old age thing didn't ya.  n1

Hope every thing goes well for you Andy. You are just a young guy, and will heal fast.
Jim Kraft

steven yampolsky

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »

Start practicing with your left hand! LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
Do what the doctor tells you and take care of your self and Heal quickly.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »

Start practicing with your left hand! LL~ LL~ LL~

There are indeed some challenging things to accomplish with the "neglected" hand.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
Oh Yeah Randy; Ya just had to bring up the old age thing didn't ya.  n1

Hope every thing goes well for you Andy. You are just a young guy, and will heal fast.

Hey I don't mind, I have 21 grandchildren and I can keep upwith then for............oh...........1 1/2 minutes!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
I just checked in with Andy, and not only did the basic surgery go well, but they found an old problem with scar tissue that was aggravating the problem.  The surgeon was able to fix that, so the prognosis is excellent!   #^

He is in good spirits, and we will be at Whittier Narrows tomorrow (70 deg. weather, a bit cool, but what the heck).  VD~ VD~ S?P
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 05:38:59 AM »
Thanks for the update Larry; You could have left out the part about 70 deg. though. n1 LL~ It did make it to 66 yesterday in Abilene Ks., but it is going to be short lived I'm afraid. Snow is all melted and getting ready for more next week. I did not get out to fly cause our flying field is a bit squishy.
Jim Kraft

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 06:51:38 AM »
Well, our snow has melted/settled/sublimated down to about 2 feet...snowbanks along roads, driveways still too high to see over!  We're trying to set a record for total snow in 1 winter, got a pretty good start on it so far, I think total to date is closing in on 5 feet. 2 very snow-ey months to go, + 1 moderately snowey (April).
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here