News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:51:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dr. Diesel  (Read 924 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dr. Diesel
« on: July 18, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
I’m sure many of you know or have met Eric Clutton  AKA Dr. Diesel. I first met him when I was about 5 at the Toledo Show. (Dad was a big diesel freak, him and Eric were friends for many years) I had the pleasure of spending some time with him yesterday at our RC club’s giant scale Warbird fly-in. Although he doesn’t go to shows anymore he is still actively providing Diesel engines and parts for modelers around the world. He’s in great shape for a man of 93 years. He told me he stopped flying full scale and sold his Luscombe 4 years ago at age 89. He such a cool guy to talk to.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: Dr. Diesel
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 01:59:16 PM »
I’m sure many of you know or have met Eric Clutton  AKA Dr. Diesel. I first met him when I was about 5 at the Toledo Show. (Dad was a big diesel freak, him and Eric were friends for many years) I had the pleasure of spending some time with him yesterday at our RC club’s giant scale Warbird fly-in. Although he doesn’t go to shows anymore he is still actively providing Diesel engines and parts for modelers around the world. He’s in great shape for a man of 93 years. He told me he stopped flying full scale and sold his Luscombe 4 years ago at age 89. He such a cool guy to talk to.

I've never met him in person but have communicated via phone and email over the years and obtained parts from him a few months ago.  Eric is the very definition of "helpful" and a real class guy!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 02:21:25 PM »
Don't forget that he also designed a home built airplane as well....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutton-Tabenor_FRED

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
Wow, if he could fly and LAND a Luscombe at age 89, Hats Off!

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 08:16:05 PM »
Outstanding , Mike he is a awesome guy. I can only hope to sell my planes at 89 that is great.

Joe Gilbert
Joe Gilbert

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »
Have not met him, but have purchased a couple of engines from him.  Flew the paw .15 in carrier at the NATS one year or tried too. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 05:02:43 AM »
It's great to hear that "E. Clutton", the designer of such delights as 'Kwod', 'Fishface' and others too numerous to mention, is still going strong.  AeroModeller in the early 1960s was full of his fascinating designs - most of which, despite his 'Dr. Diesel' tag, had .020 Coxes up front!  I shall drink to his health at the next opportunity (which will not be long in coming!).
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 04:27:24 PM »
Glad to hear he is still alive and kicking. I have his book on diesels around here somewhere. I recall reading an article on one of his small B-24 models years ago.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here