News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don Bambrick's Fury  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Don Bambrick's Fury
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »
I just love this one.  Who can tell us more about it?

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Don Bambrick's Fury
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 02:27:45 PM »
I can say the original still exists....

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 02:33:44 PM »
The Fury by Don Bambrick was published in the February 67 issue of Flying Models.  From the article, this "Scored highest in the finish department, 1966 Nationals...".  Fox .35.  Article states the original had a fully sheeted wing, the plans show "optional construction" with LE sheet and capstrips.  Much of the article was on finishing technique.

Keith

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 05:25:15 PM »
The article document's Don's finishing technique which stresses lightness and lots of use of appropriate sandpaper IIRC. It was/is a gorgeous design.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 09:15:47 PM »

Great looking model. The wing looks a lot like the Tempest or Electra designs.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 11:58:21 PM »
Don built three Fury's
Fury 1 mimicked the color scheme in the Profile Publications book on the FJ Fury.  Had a built in tank - and tank trouble.  This one was quickly replaced by...

Fury 2 had a different fin/rudder, 2 fences on each wing and a different fuselage stripe.  Tank was removable this time.  This one got 39 points (out of 40) at the 1966 NATs.  Also was published in Flying Models, looking for the issue, thinking it was late 1966 or early 1967.

Fury's 1 & 2 were candy blue with red & white trim. The candy was many coats of blue over a serious metal flake silver, looked spectacular in the sun. Both powered by Fox 35.  Fury 2 also used a "Spin-a-Flow" Muffler

Fury 3 switched to a muffled McCoy 40.  White with green & black trim.  The lightest and most powerful of the 3 Fury's, naturally it flew the best too.  Later refinished in light blue (misplaced the picture).

While not a Fury. Don's Ultrasonic was at its core a Fury with a couple inches more wing span. A slightly more raked Fury 3 fin, the tall canopy was replaced by a long low one.  One of my favorite things about this one was the way the paint stripes on the wing and tail connected with the fuselage stripe.  Very skinny rear fuse, about 1/2" wide at the elevator hinge line. Don flew this at the 1968 & 1969 NATs
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 06:24:06 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 11:18:09 AM »
I see a lot of Jim Kostecky resemblance in those ships.  Great look! H^^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 03:19:11 PM »
I saw Don fly his Furys at several contests judged by Big Art.  I also remember "Boom Boom" Leroy Gunther and the Macdonald father and son.
Those were great years to be in the hobby.  At least one contest was attended by Billy Werage  back when FAI points were derived from contests.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 09:31:13 PM »
It reminds me of Jerry Phelps Patriot. 
Any connection between the two guys.?
I do like the blue Navy motif.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 09:38:19 PM »
The Ultrasonic was built for the 1968 NATs, same as Kostecky's Formula S.  The Patriot was built for the 1969 NATs and Jerry based it on the Formula S. In those years Jerry lived in Detroit, as did Don and we all flew together fairly often,  Dick Pacini lived a "Spirited" life up in Saginaw so we'd see him on contest weekends.

One feature of the Ultrasonic that Don copied from Kostecky's "Talon" design was the narrow rear fuselage - see pix.  Not only did it look cool but it reduced weight in the rear fuselage.  And YES it was plenty stiff,

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 06:25:53 AM »
Beautiful airplane!  Thanks for posting the pictures Dennis.

I particularly like the Ultrasonic.  How did he build that rear fuselage so it would be both thin and stiff?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here