News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:42:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new super-duper ride :)  (Read 1228 times)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My new super-duper ride :)
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
Airplane made to satisfy three needs: one, I'm fresh out of planes for TUT testing, and don't want to hack up my competition ride to fit a TUT in quite yet; two, I've been working on the TUT instead of building planes, and wanted to pump something out quick; and three, if I'm using solid foam wings anyway, why not make a high-wing?

The plane is roughly Cessna C-37-ish.  I must have hit it right, because folks at my RC field recognized it.  The wing is made from Gotcha Streak cores from Phil Cartier, rounded on the ends with a sanding board and rough sandpaper.  The engine is a Tower 40 at the moment, but will get changed for a throttled OS 46 when the TUT goes on.  The aerodynamics are, more or less, scaled-up Sig Skyray (I scaled up the tail area proportional to the wing area, and scaled up the tail moment arm proportional to the square root of the wing area).

It's covered with SLC, but I didn't read the directions closely enough, so it's covered with wrinkled SLC.  I'm not going to worry about it.

For me, it was a lightning-quick build.  For most people, 30 days is pretty slow.

I'd be out test flying it right now, but it decided to rain today so I'm home working.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: My new super-duper ride :)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »
Tim,

Nothing wrong with that model.

Has many traditional lines actually.

Could have improved the graphics a bit, but the "back masking" works.  LL~

I actually like the model.

Good for you!  H^^

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
Its different Tim.

Carrier?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
It's meant for testing some electronics, but with a hook, a throttle, and an Andorran flag, I could compete in the local 40 profile carrier contest.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
Here ya go.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
Carrier/stunt contest in a few weeks at the Auburn Airport, there's time if you can bolt in a FP 40 and controls !
mike potter

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Just got out and flew this thing.  It flies way better than it should.  I suspect it'll suffer in windy weather, but it was certainly flying well today.  About the only part of the pattern that it was conceding was the hourglass -- I've never been able to do a decent hourglass on a flapless plane.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
My Coyote did decent hourglasses. For a flapless plane, anyway.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 05:26:39 PM »
My Coyote did decent hourglasses. For a flapless plane, anyway.

I may learn to do better hourglasses with this thing, but for now it does them the way my Skyray and my Streak did -- two distinct corners at the bottom, and a single big corner on top.
AMA 64232

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »
Someone asked for dimensions -- so here's a drawing.  This is pretty much just my working drawing, updated to match what I actually built.  It's not something publishable.

Wing cores were Phil's Gotcha Streak 500 cores with the tip extensions.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here