News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dipping Wing?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Gene Elliott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Dipping Wing?
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:25:23 PM »
Guys,
It was a beautiful sunny day in Nashville today and I went flying. On a new scratchbuilt I got two flights. Whenever I would do an inside loop and when I would come out of it at the upright position the port wing wants to dip down and I had to backpeddle to get the slack out. Not enought tip weight in the starboard wing? What do you think?

Thanks, Gene

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
Re: Dipping Wing?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:21:17 AM »
Hello Gene,

What plane are you having the problem with and how much tip weight do you have in it now?

Maybe that info will help someone here come up with a suggestion to fix your your problem.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:27:46 AM »
Gene, you've got to do some more flying to see what is really the matter.  It could be a warp, leadout position, or tip weight, or a combination of all three.  You have to put the plane through some continous loops, both directions and see how it behaves.

If the plane has adjustable leadouts, use the LineII program, or the calculator in the downloads section, and set the leadouts where it says.  That will be very close.  If the leadouts are too far back the plane will tend to drop the outboard tip, especially in hard corners down low, like the inside squares.

do some large inside and outside loops.  If the plane comes in or gets light on the lines when turning insides it has a left roll.  Vice versa for outsides.  Warp the other way to correct it.

If the plane tends to bank in or out when turning both directions, then you need to change the tip weight.  In your case, if it gets light turning both directions, it needs more tip weight.

Tip weight can mask a small warp.  the plane will feel fine most of the time, but if it gets slowed down up high, the warp will take over and make it do something unexpected.
phil Cartier

Offline Gene Elliott

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:25:55 AM »
This is my own design using the measurements from the Ukey 35 with a Gotch Streak foam wing on which I put cap strips, covered leading and trailing edges as per Tom Dixon then covered with silkspan. 49" span, and all controls are fully adjustable. I made it this way so I could learn some advanced fllying. She glides beautifully and seems to be well balanced. Plenty of power with Magnum 32. I will giver her some more air time and follow your suggestions.

Thanks men!
Gene

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:13:12 PM »
Paul Walker's Trimming Flow Chart should be in your field box.  It would probably be a good thing for Sparkster to put in the "Download" section, actually.  Consider laminating it in clear plastic, or putting it in a notebook. #^ Steve

PS: Hmmmm. You have to click on it, to get it to open. Maybe Sparky can fix? It's a Word document, so you'll have to have some sort of Word or Office program. Ahaha! I also had it in .jpg format, and it works. The .doc version is bigger, better, and easier to read, tho.

OBTW: Unless you tell us which direction you're flying, we don't know for sure if the port wing is inboard or outboard... n~
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gene Elliott

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 09:24:22 AM »
Steve,
Thanks for the chart. I used to fly a Piper Cub J3 years ago and port as you know is to the left of the guy in the cockpit. I do need to switch to the inboard/outboard terminology. Thanks for your input!!

Gene

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 08:49:50 PM »
I'm a boater. I know Port from Chardonay... **) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 06:44:39 AM »
Easy way to remember port from starboard and color red or green.  Port is 4 letters, left is 4 letters and port wine is red.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »
When I finally learned what the terms "port" and "starboard" meant, it got easier to remember which side is which.  I still have trouble with right and left.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »

"Is there any Red Port Left?"

Cheers

Harry

Offline Gene Elliott

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:26 PM »
Yes, Harry, there's port in the cabinet on your left hand side as you face forward unless you're doing a hand stand in the UK . . . wait, you ARE in the Uk, so it's definately tentative that . . . what was my original question?

Gene

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here