News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did you get dizzy in your first flights?  (Read 5323 times)

Offline aba183210

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Did you get dizzy in your first flights?
« on: January 22, 2016, 08:09:03 PM »
Good evening.

One of the things that stopped me from trying CL was the fear of getting dizzy and crashing the plane.

Last September I decided to give CL a try so I went to the Sepulveda field and asked if anyone at the local CL club could teach me the rudiments. One gentleman offered to teach me and he prepared one of those large stunt planes. I was very intimidated by the size, the engine, and the steel control cables...but I was more afraid of getting dizzy.

One member of the club held the plane while the instructor and I got ready to fly together. Finally the guy released the plane and we were flying.

To my surprise, I did not get dizzy at all. We flew a couple more times and I still did not get dizzy at all.

So, how were your first experiences regarding dizziness when starting in CL?

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Did you get dizzy in your first flights?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
so I went to the Sepulveda field

Mahattan Beach area?

My son gets a bit dizzy flying the 1/2a we have assigned to him right now. I figure the flights are all of a minute or two at most so no harm done. We have fun and the dizziness passes as you learn where to put your attention when flying.

Mark

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »
I got dizzy, yes.  Then I stopped flying from age 16 to age 36, and by golly I got dizzy again!  And again when I quit for another ten years!

If you're like most people it goes away if you persevere.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
When I fly endurance, the plane is so slow the background is no longer a blur. If you let it steel your eyes you'll get a little dizzy. You have to stare right at the plane at all times.

MM

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »
I agree with MM. it seems like if I stare at something on the plane it goes away. The hard part for me is going from the dead eye stare to performing the manuver.

Tim R.

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 04:56:14 AM »
I wasn't told about getting dizzy.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
Ya, I got dizzy.  It would lead to a headache and an upset stomach and I was out for the rest of the day.  I started flying electric with shorter flight times and worked my way up over a couple of months as I got used to it.  It's funny how you can adapt. 

Until I learned to fly inverted.  After my first inverted lap I couldn't believe how dizzy my head was.  Luckily the dizziness clears fast and I can keep flying.  I'm starting to get used to flying the other way now after more and more experience.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 08:35:05 AM »
No, never. #^ ;D
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
It always seems that we get disoriented due to the back ground sliding by. It is similar to what happens when you watch a movie and they pan the camera quickly. All that stuff going in the other direction makes us look at it and it messes with our head.

With reference to getting dizzy I learned a trick that you may find helpful. Like everything mentioned in this forum it is something that seems to work for me. That does not make it the only method you should use so if you have something else that works for you keep using it. If it helps you great!

In order to give me something too zero in on during the flight I put a bright red spinner on the model. Since the model is going to go exactly where the spinner is pointing all I have to do is to zero in on the spinner and I can simply ignore the passing back ground stuff. Maneuvers are also easy to follow as I just concentrate on making the spinner follow the pattern I want to fly.

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
In order to give me something too zero in on during the flight I put a bright red spinner on the model. Since the model is going to go exactly where the spinner is pointing all I have to do is to zero in on the spinner and I can simply ignore the passing back ground stuff. Maneuvers are also easy to follow as I just concentrate on making the spinner follow the pattern I want to fly.
That explains it all  ;D:
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
Yes. My club, the North Alabama Controlline Association put me up in a trainer made for a .09 with an Enya 15 on it. 4.2 second laps. I made it through that flight.....just barely. Now, if I feel dizzy, I fly level at about 15 feet and look ahead about 1/4 lap and wait for the plane to fly into my line of sight. Another 1/4 lap ahead and I'm good.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Dwayne

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
I still am dizzy.  n~ LL~

Online David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »
As long as I watch the plane, no.  If I start watching the scenery go by then things can get funky pretty quickly.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
Every Spring, yes. Inverted, always. It does get to be less and less of a problem. Part of my problem is "peripheral neuropathy" (numb feet) and part may be due to tinnitus (ringing in the ears). But I'm old, and just I have to put up with some limitations.  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
The first time I ever flew, I fell over after landing and had to "set a spell" before getting up.  :P

That was about 50 years ago. Now I can do kid training until my back and legs give out, but dizzy is never a problem.

y1
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:09 PM »
My first attempt at control line with a Fire Baby on 15 foot line and Thimble Drome .049.   My brother said I made 9 laps before putting a divet in the back yard.  Yes I did fall over.   Now a days I'm glad I know how to do loops and eights as if I go more than a month or more I get dizzy on first flight of the day.   Can't be old age? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »
Doc;

You are not old. Like me you are just really, really experienced and quite mature! (LOL)

Hope to visit with you at the VSC.

Eric

Offline aba183210

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 01:23:22 AM »
Mahattan Beach area?

My son gets a bit dizzy flying the 1/2a we have assigned to him right now. I figure the flights are all of a minute or two at most so no harm done. We have fun and the dizziness passes as you learn where to put your attention when flying.

Mark

It's at the Apollo XI flying field, in the San Fernando Valley. My home field is actually Whittier Narrows near the Montebello Town Center, but I go to the Apollo XI field every Sunday to receive control line instruction.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 08:22:32 PM »
Not at all . . . since my first "flight" lasted about a half-lap before my poor Ringmaster buried itself in the sod (c. 1952).

Being completely ignorant, I gave it "full Up" on launch, and...well, you know the rest.   LL~
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »
yes
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »
Practice circle-walking in the living room a bit for a few days.  Yes, I get dizzy if it has been more than a few weeks too.

Phil

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 04:33:51 PM »
I never got dizzy but the last few years I fall down if I lean to far back.  ~^
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »
I have had inner ear infection a couple of times to where I could not stand up. The only time I usually get dizzy is in the overhead eights. Something about leaning over backwards and looking straight up will sometimes make me loose my equilibrium. Then I tend to loose my balance. I have never fallen down but really have to concentrate at that point to keep oriented.
Jim Kraft

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
I was four, so I don't remember lol

I do still get a BIT disoriented by the end of the 6 inverted laps, as I've spent allot more time spinning CCW. other factors affect it such as background, allergies, hydration level, ect.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 04:18:29 PM »
Haven't flown in over a year now, because I get dizzy just walking around! Looking above the horizon is no longer safe, even standing still!

Thankfully, I can still run engines, but with careful attention to my proximity to the spinning prop.

Golden age my arse!  HB~>

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »
I have had inner ear infection a couple of times to where I could not stand up. The only time I usually get dizzy is in the overhead eights. Something about leaning over backwards and looking straight up will sometimes make me loose my equilibrium. Then I tend to loose my balance. I have never fallen down but really have to concentrate at that point to keep oriented.

I have that problem, too.  It doesn't help my overhead maneuvers a bit.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
This is one of those times I was in perfect form but proabably about to fall over at the slightest misjudgement. I think the plane usually does better when I am not looking anyway. This picture was taken 11 years ago at Topeka's contest. Now I don't think my left arm is long enough to keep me balanced.
Jim Kraft

Eric Viglione

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 12:39:18 PM »
Nope, my first flights as a kid were dizzy free.

Then I laid off C/L for about ~13yrs after I got married in 1987

When I came back, my first flights were on a borrowed Veco Tom Tom from Eddy R. No dizzies then either...

...right until I flipped the Tom Tom inverted, I remember thinking "whoa!" but that was just a momentary thing that went away after a half a lap. I'd call it more of a disorientation than true dizzy spell. I think my inner ear just needed a moment to catch up.

EricV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here