News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:53:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dick Wolsey memory  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Dick Wolsey memory
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »
Before he passed away, Dick gifted me a profile that he called Snowbird. Until this summer it was sitting . It is now back in the air, powered by OS46LA. I belive Dick had it setup with ST 60. It flys well with the OS. Thanks Dick!
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
Re: Dick Wolsey memory
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
The original Snowbird was created by the late Don Gerber of Carrier Fame, he's the guy who gave us the MO-! for Carrier. He was a very creative person who had set many Records in Carrier over the years. He also got to be interested in PA and Profile PA hence the Snowbird! It was originally slated for the venerable ST .60. the plane featured a foam wing the cores for which he cut! just for your information. I imagine that Dick got his plane from Don. Both men were very good friends of mine from when I lived in Vermont as well as Pennsylvania.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »

Phil, thanks for this info, The plane has the foam wings you mentioned. It earned 3rd place Adv profile 2005 Brodak meet  flown by Dick Wolsey himself. I believe it had ST60. I was not there but found record of Brodak 2005 stunt  contest scores.
Do you know if there are any plans available?
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »
Great looking plane.  I like the rc engine mount.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
Hi Lyle, The original box with most parts is out in my garage! I'll go out there tomorrow to take a peek to see if any plans were enclosed! Don sent the kit to me many years ago, 1991 or '92, and I never did get up enough enthusiasm to get after it! I do know that Don cut his own cores can't say if they were cored out or not though. I did fly his original up on the mountain in Reading, PA and it pulled like a horse! I am not a very big guy and can't remember if the ship had adjustable lead outs installed. Will check and see.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:20:59 AM »
Phil- thanks for this update. The plan as now being flown also pulls hard, but handles well at flying weight of approx 68 oz with the 46LA & stock muffler.
Do you know if Is there much flying activity at the  Reading site?
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
Hi Lyle, The Club over there is known as The Flying Dutchman of Reading. Their field in on the top of Mount Penn where it is open to the western winds and has trees on three sides. This set up is fine for racing and Carrier at speed but not so much for PA! They are/were an Chartered Club from m the AMA and perhaps you might contact the AMA Club Coordinator to get a contact name and number. I moved away from Reading in 1971 and have  been back to that site since since 1991 or 1992. there was a long time worker over there by the name of Bob Fryer but this is from the memory of an older person!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here