News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dick Sarpolous’ Pretender?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dick Sarpolous’ Pretender?
« on: November 18, 2022, 06:34:57 AM »
Has anyone here flown Dick Sarpolous’ Pretender?
I would love to see some pictures of it.

I was thinking to scratch build it, since it kinda look like a smaller version of Pathfinder.
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dick Sarpolous’ Pretender?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 07:54:06 AM »

I was thinking to scratch build it, since it kinda look like a smaller version of Pathfinder.

The plans are on Outerzone:   https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9977

Dick Sarpolus was a prolific supplier of construction articles to the model magazines over the years. Mostly R/C models, but he did publish numerous 1/2A and larger designs. He liked to use the SIG Chipmunk wing as a basis for some of his larger models, and the Pretender may use a similar wing borrowed from something else. They he would draw pleasing shapes and outlines around them. It was published in May 1979 Flying Models, and I can pull the mag, photograph the pages and send them to you.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 01:35:44 PM »
A little trick for you scratch-builders out there: you can save a lot of time and simplify your building porcess by matching up the rib of the plane you want to build with one of the numerous laser-cut rib sets available from Brodaks.  Not all that expensive, but very accurately cut.

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 06:58:58 AM »
So in the Construction article on OZ Dick says that he used a Sig Super chipmunk wing kit for the Challenger.

The plans have all the ribs as well.
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 07:22:13 AM »
      The plans are on Outerzone:   https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9977

Dick Sarpolus was a prolific supplier of construction articles to the model magazines over the years. Mostly R/C models, but he did publish numerous 1/2A and larger designs. He liked to use the SIG Chipmunk wing as a basis for some of his larger models, and the Pretender may use a similar wing borrowed from something else. They he would draw pleasing shapes and outlines around them. It was published in May 1979 Flying Models, and I can pull the mag, photograph the pages and send them to you.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I just back tracked and checked out the link for the Pretender plan, and it is listed but the plan isn't with the page for it. It has the articles, but no plan. It was originally a Flying Models plan, and some one still holds the rights to the plans site, so they may have pulled the plan from outerzone. It is still available from the Flying Models plan site.

Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 08:00:37 AM »
this it?
AMA 13001

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
this it?

Yeah, that's it. When I posted this the other day I didn't check out the files. I went to do that yesterday and when I clicked onto the plan file, it would down load the text of the construction article. I just tried it again and it's working now, but did not a day or so ago. Just a glitch I guess.

Thanks,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 11:02:39 AM »
So in the Construction article on OZ Dick says that he used a Sig Super chipmunk wing kit for the Challenger.

The plans have all the ribs as well.

I've built 3 Challengers the last one last May, I used a Chipmunk wing kit from SIG and was unable to use the flaps and some of the 1/16" sheeting, the wood was like hardwood.  :'(  The plane though is a great flying plane.
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 07:45:33 PM »
I've built 3 Challengers the last one last May, I used a Chipmunk wing kit from SIG and was unable to use the flaps and some of the 1/16" sheeting, the wood was like hardwood.  :'(  The plane though is a great flying plane.

That Challenger looks nice!
Might scratch build it in the future.
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 08:33:00 PM »
I like looking at and downloading the Dick Sarpolus designs.  I’m obviously partial to the 1/2A designs, but I like contemplating his larger designs as well.  Thus I downloaded the Pretender design to ogle a bit a couple of years ago.  I kind of dismissed it because the article says it’s a .19 size plane as an intermediate between 1/2A and .35 sized planes.  I figured it’d be too big for my .15’s, and too small for my LA-S .25’s.  But after seeing this thread I looked at the article again.  The article says 390 sq.in. at 45” span.  It dawned on me that the Flite Streak is billed as .19-.35 plane, and 390 sq.in. on 43” wingspan.  So why not build this for the LA-S .25?

I need to start flying and crashing so I can justify building one of these.  After all, when I moved from Oregon to Oklahoma I left my three matching Skyray .35’s (396 sq.in. on 44” WS) with my son for him to learn on.  So I’ll need another couple of FS/Skyray sized planes to crash on.

Mark

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 04:15:03 AM »
Wasn't this kitted at one time?

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 06:28:42 AM »

I don't think either the Pretender nor the Challenger was kitted by any one. I don't think any of the Sarpolus designs were. There WAS however an profile Stunt model called Challenger by Bill Noyes that was kitted by Galaxy Models. I have one in my collection.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 06:39:50 AM »
I believe Tom Dixon may have done a Challenger kit .

Brad

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 07:43:02 AM »
Hey Kafin The pretender is very much like the Shark 402 from Brodak's and it is a really great flyer Get one if you can and put a good 25 on it and you will be very happy Len

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »
I like looking at and downloading the Dick Sarpolus designs.  I’m obviously partial to the 1/2A designs, but I like contemplating his larger designs as well.  Thus I downloaded the Pretender design to ogle a bit a couple of years ago.  I kind of dismissed it because the article says it’s a .19 size plane as an intermediate between 1/2A and .35 sized planes.  I figured it’d be too big for my .15’s, and too small for my LA-S .25’s.  But after seeing this thread I looked at the article again.  The article says 390 sq.in. at 45” span.  It dawned on me that the Flite Streak is billed as .19-.35 plane, and 390 sq.in. on 43” wingspan.  So why not build this for the LA-S .25?

I need to start flying and crashing so I can justify building one of these.  After all, when I moved from Oregon to Oklahoma I left my three matching Skyray .35’s (396 sq.in. on 44” WS) with my son for him to learn on.  So I’ll need another couple of FS/Skyray sized planes to crash on.

Mark

Mark, Others,

There is a little trick you can use to shrink plans, ask the guys at staples to do the plan at say 75%. and they'll gladly do it for you.    :!

Likewise you can ask them to enlarge a plan as well. I had them enlarge a plan of a combat plane, the scrapper from ambroid. It was a better sport model at 150% than the original size and I didn't have to put the tank in the wing like the original.

n~ 
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2022, 07:48:33 PM »

Years ago. John Anderson (Galaxy Models) kitted a profile, Challenger. This Challenger was designed by the late Bill Noyes. It was kitted sometime in the 80's just can't remember when exactly it was designed and kitted.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 02:20:40 AM »
Obscure Engine sizes. Kafin,  I like to keep my list of engine sizes to 049, 35's 46, and 60 size airplanes. Keep in mind that all these different size planes will all require different diameter lines, line lengths, handles, fuel, oil and nitro mixes and different size diameter and pitch props. It can start to get very expensive and the amount of different parts and hardware required to run all of these airplanes  require more storage space. It can become quite overwhelming keeping track of it all. My point being, i would stay away from engines size like the 19's and try to stick to the more popular sizes.

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 10:05:46 AM by kevin king »

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 09:49:51 PM »
Mark, Others,

There is a little trick you can use to shrink plans, ask the guys at staples to do the plan at say 75%. and they'll gladly do it for you.    :!

I looked at Kinko's and Staples, but the prices were too high.  Just as cheap or cheaper to print them out as tiles on my computer and tape them together.  What I found better was to go the a local blueprint company with the .pdf and have it printed out.  The blueprint company would print out a 4'x6' plan sheet for about $8.00 or so.  They would enlarge or reduce to whatever size I wanted.

Mark

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 01:45:32 AM »
     I don't think either the Pretender nor the Challenger was kitted by any one. I don't think any of the Sarpolus designs were. There WAS however an profile Stunt model called Challenger by Bill Noyes that was kitted by Galaxy Models. I have one in my collection.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Actually, Black Hawk Models offered kits of some of Dick's 1/2-A designs.  What I saw was disappointing.  For plywood doublers on a profile fuselage, for example, the kit included a rectangular piece of plywood.  In some cases, you weren't provided with "parts" per se, just the material to make them!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
I looked at Kinko's and Staples, but the prices were too high.  Just as cheap or cheaper to print them out as tiles on my computer and tape them together.  What I found better was to go the a local blueprint company with the .pdf and have it printed out.  The blueprint company would print out a 4'x6' plan sheet for about $8.00 or so.  They would enlarge or reduce to whatever size I wanted.

Mark

That's what I do at my local Kinkos. If I di an enlargement, I do it on the smaller copier machines till it fills an11 by 17 sheet, then use a calculator to get the proper ratio for the digital large format printer and do that in one shot. They will enlarge up to 400% but comes pout better the lower you can get the percentage. Some plans I have on my computer I just load up on a thumb drive and do it self service. Sometimes I need help from the staff if the machine just doesn't want to function, and then they do it behind the counter on another, but have never been charged extra. It's usually in the 8 dollar range like you have experienced.  If I was born rich instead of good looking, I would have one of those machines in my living room!!
   Type at you later and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »

[/quote/]

OOPS!!  I was commenting on the Challenger - not the Pretender -so sorry about that   ~^
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here