News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DeHavilland Mosquitos  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
DeHavilland Mosquitos
« on: November 27, 2020, 10:17:17 PM »
How time goes by so quickly.

Today marks The 80th anniversary of the first flight of the amazing DeHavilland Mosquito.

Also amazing is that the prototype still exists.

Jack Sheeks would have been proud.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: DeHavilland Mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 12:33:51 AM »
Fasten your seatbelts .

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 01:44:45 AM »
Thanks for the video post.
What an incredible man he was. There is little or no chance that anyone else will surpass his accomplishments!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 07:26:25 AM »
Thanks for that bit of history.  All these interesting stories are floating around and it make it hard to find them.
phil Cartier

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
Few pilots flew more types than Brown, who flew many more than in his book (This is the abridged version).

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 04:19:46 PM »
Fasten your seatbelts .

Thanks for posting!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 05:15:35 PM »
One of the Executives who worked for the same company as I did  was a Mosie pilot. His name was Rex Wooton and he gave me his Aircraft reunion association badge, which I still have. He was quite the character and I wish I knew him better.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 11:15:36 PM »
Our Aviation Museum complex here in Edmonton is also the home of The 418 City Of Edmonton RCAF Squadron museum.

418 performed night intruder ops against Germany and became one of the most highly decorated Squadrons of the war. Sadly most have passed on but in years past it was heart wrenching to see these proud veterans on parade for Remembrance Day and Battle of Britain Day ceremonies. What was truly inspiring were the rows of medals including numerous DFCs.

I am very proud to have had the honour of organizing and commanding many of those parades.

As part of our museum exhibits we have a static display Mosquito painted to represent one of their wartime mounts.

As a point of interest the cartoonist Al Capp approved their using his Li’l Abner characters as nose art on their planes.

You may want to Google the Alberta Aviation Museum Association for more info about our facility.

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 09:04:17 AM »
Eric Brown is the most unknown right stuff Pilot of his time. His autobiography is a great read. He was a natural gifted great stick.

Joe Gilbert
Joe Gilbert

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »
I'd love to be able to read that book.....

....if I could afford it!

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
It's not QUITE that expensive, guys ...

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »
Librarys & interloan etc .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
Our Aviation Museum complex here in Edmonton is also the home of The 418 City Of Edmonton RCAF Squadron museum.

418 performed night intruder ops against Germany and became one of the most highly decorated Squadrons of the war. Sadly most have passed on but in years past it was heart wrenching to see these proud veterans on parade for Remembrance Day and Battle of Britain Day ceremonies. What was truly inspiring were the rows of medals including numerous DFCs.

I am very proud to have had the honour of organizing and commanding many of those parades.

As part of our museum exhibits we have a static display Mosquito painted to represent one of their wartime mounts.

As a point of interest the cartoonist Al Capp approved their using his Li’l Abner characters as nose art on their planes.

You may want to Google the Alberta Aviation Museum Association for more info about our facility.
y1 y1

Did not realize you were from the Edmonton area, Robert Whitley. I've been up there 3 or 4 times for the Prairie Fire contest at Namao, and visited the museum several times. Any progress on the B-25 restoration?

My ol' Dad soloed in 1927 (Curtiss Jenny) and joined the USAAC in 1935 after college, with a degree in Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. He was a test pilot at Wright Field before and after WWII, and said he flew a Mosquito and some other Allied and captured planes, but he was bigger than most at 5'11" and didn't fit into some. He mostly flew B-17's and B-25's during the war....B-17's in Europe and B-25's in the Pacific. I'd bet that he really liked the Mosquito and would have jumped ship to the RAF if he'd had a chance to fly one earlier.

Thanks to Matt for posting the video links. It's a real thrill to hear one Merlin thunder overhead...two at once would be incredible!  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
When all this covid stuff is behind us it would be nice to have you up here again Steve.
The B25 static restoration was completed a few years ago. It sure is shiny!

The museum has been working on two P39s which have a strong historical connection with Edmonton. This was a major stop on the ferry flights to Russia. Edmonton was also the main staging point for men and supplies to head north to build the Alaska Highway of which mile zero is Dawson Creek, British Columbia.

I am one of the founders of the museum facility and have personal full access to it at almost anytime.

If you or anyone else on Stunthangar are ever coming here I would be happy to provide a personal tour for you.

Also for those who may not be familiar with our local control line club we are actually quite active pretty much any nice evening and weekends.

Cheers

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here